Quadratic eigenvalue problem and solution (solved in Mathematica)

In summary, the conversation discusses a quadratic eigenvalue problem and the use of a linearization technique to solve it. The speaker mentions employing a matrix pencil and obtaining vectors of length 1x2n, which are used to solve for the eigenvalues. The issue of stability in solving the equation numerically is also brought up and the speaker considers adjusting the precision of the solver as a potential solution.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Given the quadratic eigenvalue problem ##Q(\lambda) \equiv (\lambda^2 M + \lambda D + K)\vec x = \vec 0## where ##K,D,M## are ##n\times n## matrices, ##\vec x## a ##1\times n## vector, the eigenvalues ##\lambda## must solve ##\det Q(\lambda)=0##.

When computing this, I employ a linearization technique, a simple matrix pencil, outlined page 6 here: http://www.ma.man.ac.uk/~ftisseur/talks/talk_X13.pdf

At the very end of the technique, I have ##n## vectors of length ##1\times 2n##, call these ##\vec \xi_i##. Evidently ##\vec \xi_i = [\vec x_i,\lambda \vec x_i]##, implying ##\vec x_i## is a ##1 \times n ## vector (see hyperlink, it's fairly simple). When I'm solving in Mathematica, once I have each ##\vec \xi_i## I cut it in half, and use an algebra solver, solving for ##\lambda_i## via the equations ##\vec x_i = \lambda_i \vec x_i##. I loop through this for ##i = 1,n##. Most of the time I recover good solutions that output eigenvalues equivalent to ##\det Q(\lambda)=0##. However, occasionally it misses a few, likely because the solver's precision order is too high (remember, its solving ##n## algebraic equations ##\vec x_i = \lambda_i \vec x_i##, which should all be linearly dependent).

To obtain a solution, should I turn down the precision of the solver, or is this ill-advised?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is always a problem to solve an equation, here ##\det Q(\lambda)=0## numerically. A little variation of inputs and you miss the zero result. Stability is a problem here. If you don't want to analyze the entire algorithm w.r.t. stability, it's probably best to try a few settings as you mentioned and see what you end up with.

Likes member 428835
fresh_42 said:
It is always a problem to solve an equation, here ##\det Q(\lambda)=0## numerically. A little variation of inputs and you miss the zero result. Stability is a problem here. If you don't want to analyze the entire algorithm w.r.t. stability, it's probably best to try a few settings as you mentioned and see what you end up with.
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something insane.

1. What is the quadratic eigenvalue problem?

The quadratic eigenvalue problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a quadratic matrix. It is an extension of the traditional eigenvalue problem, which deals with linear matrices.

2. How is the quadratic eigenvalue problem solved in Mathematica?

Mathematica has built-in functions, such as Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors, that can be used to solve the quadratic eigenvalue problem. These functions can handle both real and complex matrices.

3. What are the applications of the quadratic eigenvalue problem?

The quadratic eigenvalue problem has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to analyze the stability of dynamical systems, model vibrations in mechanical structures, and solve optimization problems.

4. Can Mathematica handle large matrices in solving the quadratic eigenvalue problem?

Yes, Mathematica has efficient algorithms for solving large matrices, making it suitable for solving the quadratic eigenvalue problem. However, the computation time may increase significantly as the size of the matrix increases.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving the quadratic eigenvalue problem?

Yes, there are other numerical methods for solving the quadratic eigenvalue problem, such as the Arnoldi algorithm and the Jacobi-Davidson method. These methods may have different advantages and disadvantages compared to using Mathematica, and the choice of method may depend on the specific problem at hand.