Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic form question

1. Aug 8, 2008 #1
    I have a problem with this question:
    let q : V -> R is quadratic form and suppose T = {v|q(v) [tex]\geq[/tex] 0} is subspace of V. prove that q is indefinite.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you need to show to prove that q is indefinite?
    Then you will have to try and prove this, using that T is a vector subspace. In particular, if you have some element in it, this tells you that you also have several other elements. With the right element you can use some properties of quadratic forms to complete the proof.

4. Aug 8, 2008 #3
    I made a mistake in my post. I need to prove that q is not indefinite, it means it's impossible that exist a,b[tex]\neq[/tex]0 such that q(a) > 0 and q(b) < 0.

suppose that exist a,b[tex]\neq[/tex]0 such that q(a) > 0 and q(b) < 0. so a is in T. so what ?

how can I reach a contradiction ?

5. Aug 8, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know nothing about quadratic forms, so this is probably not the most elegant way to deal with this problem, but here goes anyway...

Suppose that there exists a b such that q(b) < 0, and let v be an arbitrary element of T.

(1) Prove q(v+b) and q(v-b) < 0.
    (2) Deduce that q(v) + q(b) < 0, and hence that q(v) < |q(b)|.

Now use this to conclude that q(v)=0 for all v in T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?