Proving Indefiniteness of a Quadratic Form on a Subspace | V -> R

In summary: This would imply that q is definite, which is a contradiction to the original assumption that it is indefinite.In summary, to prove that q is indefinite, we need to show that there does not exist a and b such that q(a) > 0 and q(b) < 0. This can be done by assuming the existence of such a and b, and using properties of quadratic forms to reach a contradiction.
TTob
I have a problem with this question:
let q : V -> R is quadratic form and suppose T = {v|q(v) [tex]\geq[/tex] 0} is subspace of V. prove that q is indefinite.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you need to show to prove that q is indefinite?
Then you will have to try and prove this, using that T is a vector subspace. In particular, if you have some element in it, this tells you that you also have several other elements. With the right element you can use some properties of quadratic forms to complete the proof.

I made a mistake in my post. I need to prove that q is not indefinite, it means it's impossible that exist a,b[tex]\neq[/tex]0 such that q(a) > 0 and q(b) < 0.

suppose that exist a,b[tex]\neq[/tex]0 such that q(a) > 0 and q(b) < 0. so a is in T. so what ?

how can I reach a contradiction ?

I know nothing about quadratic forms, so this is probably not the most elegant way to deal with this problem, but here goes anyway...

Suppose that there exists a b such that q(b) < 0, and let v be an arbitrary element of T.

(1) Prove q(v+b) and q(v-b) < 0.
(2) Deduce that q(v) + q(b) < 0, and hence that q(v) < |q(b)|.

Now use this to conclude that q(v)=0 for all v in T.

1. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a mathematical expression that consists of variables raised to the second power and multiplied by coefficients. It can also include linear terms and constant terms, but the main characteristic is that the highest power of the variables is two.

2. How is a quadratic form different from a quadratic equation?

A quadratic form is an expression, while a quadratic equation is an equation that sets the quadratic form equal to a constant. In other words, a quadratic form is a mathematical object, while a quadratic equation is a statement that relates the quadratic form to a specific value.

3. What is the purpose of studying quadratic forms?

Quadratic forms have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can be used to model and solve problems involving optimization, geometry, and mechanics. Additionally, understanding quadratic forms can help in solving more complex equations and systems of equations.

4. How do you determine the nature of a quadratic form?

The nature of a quadratic form is determined by its associated matrix, called the quadratic form matrix. The eigenvalues of this matrix can tell us if the form is positive definite, negative definite, or indefinite. This information is important in understanding the behavior of the form and its applications.

5. Can quadratic forms be solved using the quadratic formula?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used to solve quadratic equations. Quadratic forms do not have a single solution, but rather a range of values that satisfy the form. To solve a quadratic form, we must use techniques such as diagonalization, completing the square, or using the properties of eigenvalues and eigenvectors.