Graphing Quadratic Functions: Domain, Range, and Factoring Help

In summary, the student is asking if factoring out the 2 from 2x + 6 will result in a -1/2f(2x+6) - 2 or a -\frac{1}{2}f(2(x+3)) - 2.
Nelo

Homework Statement

Given f(x) = x^2 Sketch the graph of each of the following, state the domain and range.

- 1/2f(2x+6) -2

Homework Equations

y=x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I Simply have a question. The question is, that this 2x can be factored out from the brackets correct?

Factoring that 2 will multiply it with the 1/2 and make the vertical stretch a factor of 1 , esentially, a factor of 0. No?

Or , would it create -1/2f(2(x+3) -2 , where the horizontal still exists as 2 (1/2) and the vertical still exists as 1/2 ?

Which one is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nelo said:

Homework Statement

Given f(x) = x^2 Sketch the graph of each of the following, state the domain and range.

- 1/2f(2x+6) -2

Homework Equations

y=x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I Simply have a question. The question is, that this 2x can be factored out from the brackets correct?

Factoring that 2 will multiply it with the 1/2 and make the vertical stretch a factor of 1 , esentially, a factor of 0. No?

Or , would it create -1/2f(2(x+3) -2 , where the horizontal still exists as 2 (1/2) and the vertical still exists as 1/2 ?

Which one is it?

You need to use parentheses when writing your formulas so we can understand what your formula is. What all is in the denominator? And after the / your parentheses are unbalanced. Anyway, whatever you actually meant, no, you can not factor the two across the f, if that is what you are asking.

I think he/she's asking if you can factor out the 2 in 2x + 6, and the answer is yes, you can, as long as you don't bring it outside the f.

I'm guessing that he/she meant to write this:
f(x) = -(1/2)f(2x+6) - 2 = -(1/2)f(2(x+3)) - 2
or this:
[itex]f(x) = -\frac{1}{2}f(2x +6) - 2 = -\frac{1}{2}f(2(x +3)) - 2[/itex]

OP: Maybe you should learn LaTeX.

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a type of polynomial function with a degree of 2, meaning the highest exponent in the function is 2. It can be written in the form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. What is the domain of a quadratic function?

The domain of a quadratic function is the set of all possible input values, or x-values, for the function. In other words, it is the range of values that can be plugged into the function to produce an output.

3. How do I find the range of a quadratic function?

To find the range of a quadratic function, you can use the vertex form of the function, f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola. The range will be all values of y that are greater than or equal to the y-coordinate of the vertex if the coefficient a is positive, or less than or equal to the y-coordinate of the vertex if a is negative.

4. What is factoring and how does it help with graphing quadratic functions?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a polynomial into its smaller and simpler components. In the case of quadratic functions, factoring can help us find the x-intercepts, or solutions, of the function, which are the points where the graph crosses the x-axis. This can also help us determine the shape and direction of the parabola.

5. How can I use the domain and range to help graph a quadratic function?

The domain and range can provide important information about the behavior and shape of a quadratic function. The domain can help us determine the x-values to plot on the graph, while the range can help us determine the y-values. Additionally, knowing the domain and range can help us determine the direction of the parabola and any potential maximum or minimum points.