Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Inequality Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving quadratic inequalities and the confusion about how to solve it using different properties of inequality. The person asking for help is also wondering why many people prefer a specific calculus textbook over others. The expert provides a summary of the problem and its solutions, as well as the different books on calculus that the person has access to. They also mention the correct way to solve the problem using intersection of sets. However, the person asking for help is still unsure about the specific properties used to derive the solutions in one form versus the other.
albema
Hi everyone, I need help again… on “quadratic inequality”.

How come the 1/3 < |x| < 1/2 become 1/3 < x < 1/2 or 1/3 < −x < 1/2?

And, this is the original problem of above solutions: 1/9 < x^2 < 1/4.

I wasn’t able to find the proof from my calculus book because the book says:

1) |x| = x if x positive, −x if x negative.
2) |x| is the distance between x and the origin or 0.
3) √x^2 = |x|.
4) |x| < a then −a < x < a.
5) |x| > a then x > a or x < −a.

That is the only five properties of inequality (in my opinion) I can hold and I can’t derived more the above-mentioned question by myself with only that five properties.

This is the solutions of that problem I’m doing by myself:

1/9 < x^2 < 1/4
√1/9 < √x^2 < √1/4  √x^2 = |x|, thus
√1/9 < |x| < √1/4
1/3 < |x| < 1/2

Then I divide the solutions for 2 part, first:

|x| < 1/2
−1/2 < x < 1/2

second:

|x| > 1/3
x < −1/3 or x > 1/3

Please advance and thanks.

Why do most people very like James Stewart’s Calculus if there available better (in my opinion).
I’ve got everything about Calculus from Thomas’ Calculus, 11E which I think (in my opinion) that their explanations, descriptions, solutions of covered materials can much be understand than James Stewart’s Calculus by person like me or people don’t have really much known about calculus, organized very well.
Or, if I may say, why do people interested to a book that bundled many materials into one and makes it become so un-organized.
Actually, I have the following 3 books of Calculus and short them into OK, good, to very good:

Calculus, 5E
James Stewart
Brooks Cole

Calculus, 8E
Dale E. Varberg, Edwin J. Purcell, Steve E. Rigdon
Prentice Hall

Thomas’ Calculus, 11E
Giordano, Weir
Addsion Wesley

In contradiction, I love them very much except the first one.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did is correct.
[tex]\displaystyle |x|<\frac{1}{2}\Rightarrow x\in\left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle |x|>\frac{1}{3}\Rightarrow x\in\left(-\infty,-\frac{1}{3}\right)\cup\left(\frac{1}{3},\infty\right)[/tex]
Now you have to intersect the sets and you get
[tex]\displaystyle x\in\left(-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{3}\right)\cup\left(\frac{1}{3},\frac{1}{2}\right)[/tex]

But, that not the answer I want. I just want to know from what inequality properties that the author can be directly derived the solutions into “1/3 < x < 1/2 or 1/3 < −x < 1/2” form instead “−1/2 < x < 1/2, x < −1/3 or x > 1/3” of mine. Anybody can help me on this?

1. What is a quadratic inequality?

A quadratic inequality is an inequality that contains a quadratic expression, which is an expression with a variable raised to the second power. The general form of a quadratic inequality is ax^2 + bx + c < or > 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you graph a quadratic inequality?

To graph a quadratic inequality, first solve the inequality for y. Then, plot the boundary line using the points that satisfy the inequality. If the inequality is <, the boundary line will be a dashed line. If the inequality is >, the boundary line will be a solid line. Finally, shade the region above or below the boundary line, depending on the inequality symbol.

3. How do you solve a quadratic inequality algebraically?

To solve a quadratic inequality algebraically, first move all terms to one side of the inequality, so that the expression is in the form ax^2 + bx + c < or > 0. Then, factor the quadratic expression and find the x-intercepts. The x-intercepts can be used to determine the intervals where the inequality is true. Finally, write the solution in interval notation.

4. What is the difference between a quadratic equation and a quadratic inequality?

A quadratic equation is an equation that is set equal to 0, while a quadratic inequality is an inequality that is set greater than or less than 0. The solutions to a quadratic equation are the x-values that make the equation true, while the solutions to a quadratic inequality are the intervals of x-values that make the inequality true.

5. How are quadratic inequalities used in real life?

Quadratic inequalities are used in real life to model many situations, such as profit and loss analysis, maximum and minimum problems, and projectile motion. They can also be used to solve optimization problems, where an organization or individual needs to maximize or minimize a certain quantity.