Quantum aspect of light waves with connection with Youngs Double Slit Experiment

In summary, decreasing the spacing between the slits would result in wider and thicker fringes on the screen, while moving the screen closer to the slide would result in narrower and thinner fringes. This would hold true for both electrons and light waves, as the longer the wavelength, the more diffraction and wider fringes. This can be explained using the formula for constructive interference and the approximation for small theta.
dc5itr888
So let's say for example there is a slide with two slits on it infront of a screen. A beam of electrons is aimed at it.

A) What would happen to the size of the fringes on the screen if I decreased the spacing between the slits

B) What would happen to the fringes if I moved the screen closer to the slide containing the slits.

C) Would it change if the object being omitted in this case electrons is changed to wave and light waves?

For A, I think by decreasing the spacing between the slits, the width of the fringes on the screen would be more narrow and thinner compared to if it was larger at its original distance.

For B, I think the fringes would be wider and thicker compared at the screens original distance.

For C) I think for both water and light waves going thru youngs double slit experiment would be the same

Can anyone confirm if this explanation is correct? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

First, remember how diffraction works:

- The longer the wavelength, the more diffraction.
- The shorter the wavelength, the less diffraction.

How does the wavelength of the electrons compare with the wavelength of photons?
How does the wavelength of water waves compare with the wavelength of photons and electrons?

What would more diffraction look like? It would mean the light would spread out more as it passes through the slits.

Now, let's look at interference. To be absolutely precise, use the formula (for constructive interference):

d sin(theta) = n(lambda)

where d is the distance between the two slits, theta is the angle between the central maximum and the nth maximum, n is an integer (corresponding to nth-order maximum) and lambda is the wavelength of the incident light on the slits.

Larger theta = larger fringes. Watch how theta changes in each of your scenarios (or does it change?)

To answer the question on the size of the fringes as you move the screen, use the approximation for sin (theta):

sin(theta) = tan(theta) = adj/opp

this approximation holds for small theta. The adjacent side of the triangle in question is the distance from the slits to the screen (remember how theta was defined). The opposite side is the distance between the central maximum and the nth-order maximum, i.e. the size of the fringes.

Last edited:
After taking what your said into consideration... I have changed my answer

by decreasing the spacing between the slits, the fringes would be wider and thicker

if I moved the screen closer to the slide containing the slits, fringes on the screen would be more narrow and thinner

Does that sound right? Can anyone confirm?

That's correct. :smile:

1. What is the Young's Double Slit Experiment?

The Young's Double Slit Experiment is a classic experiment in physics that involves passing light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern. This experiment helped to demonstrate the wave nature of light and has been crucial in the development of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Young's Double Slit Experiment relate to the quantum aspect of light waves?

This experiment is important in understanding the quantum aspect of light waves because it shows that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. The interference pattern observed in the experiment can only be explained by treating light as a wave, while the detection of individual photons at the screen shows that light also has particle-like properties.

3. What is the significance of the double slit in the experiment?

The double slit is crucial in creating the interference pattern observed in the experiment. When light passes through the two slits, it diffracts and creates overlapping wavefronts. This results in constructive and destructive interference, which produces the characteristic pattern on the screen.

4. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the slits plays a significant role in the interference pattern. As the distance between the slits increases, the distance between the bright fringes of the interference pattern also increases. This is because the interference pattern is determined by the wavelength of the light and the distance between the slits.

5. Can the Young's Double Slit Experiment be used to demonstrate other quantum phenomena?

Yes, the Young's Double Slit Experiment can be used to demonstrate other quantum phenomena such as entanglement and superposition. By using two entangled photons or by passing a single photon through both slits simultaneously, the interference pattern can be altered, providing evidence for these quantum effects.