Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Computer advantages

1. Dec 4, 2017 #21
    Nothing?no answer from nobody?is alot of "fuss" on this topic...but I think is all somehow a thing that no one really understands...Is based on particle Superpositions...but was not yet proved as 100% real for our reallity...Are now 3 theorys about our Universe:Copenhagen Interpretation(only here the QC will work),Many-Worlds Interpretation and Pilot-Wave Interpretation...In wich one of them are we??and maybe is not even one of the 3 as we know....so??

2. Dec 4, 2017 #22
    I think you are asking too much of people. I think you are asking people to teach you about Quantum computing which requires an understanding of Quantum Mechanics. No one is going to be able to do that in a few posts on here. You are best to study and then ask specific questions about details you do not understand.

Cheers

3. Dec 4, 2017 #23
    I don't want to be teached,I just want to know how Super Position will work on Quantum Computer if we can't actually prove Copenhagen Interpretation is 100& accurate,not even Einstein aproved this theory...

4. Dec 4, 2017 #24
    It's an interpretation, there is no proof. This is what I mean, you have many misconceptions and you need to study first.

Cheers.

5. Dec 5, 2017 #25

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interpretations have nothing to do with what actually physically HAPPENS; the predictions of the theory and the actual math is the same in ALL interpretations. Hence, it does not matter which interpretation you prefer when designing a quantum computer.

Also, note that quantum computers DO work; there are many research groups around the world that have had prototypes up and running for many years; the fact that these are too small to do anything useful does not change the fact that they demonstrate that the basic principle works just fine.

BTW, there is no interpretation that says that "superposition does not exist" for the simple reason that superposition of states has been an integral part of all modern physics for a very long time (close to a 100 years), is extremely well established and is also part part of "everyday science" such as basic chemistry.

6. Dec 7, 2017 #26
    Yeah , the predictions of theory and actual mathematics are the same in all interpretations.

7. Dec 7, 2017 #27

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This forum (Computing and technology) is for actual hardware and software questions, so the thread is moved.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. Apr 5, 2018 #28
    Is there an actually functioning quantum computer that to a definite question like "What is two plus two" can give a definite answer like "Four, fullstop"?

9. Apr 5, 2018 #29
  10. Apr 5, 2018 #30
    I did, but it didn't answer my question. I want to know whether there is an actual physical functioning machine, like the classical one I am writing this on.

11. Apr 5, 2018 #31
    Yes IBM will let you use one.
    My emphasis.

12. Apr 5, 2018 #32
    I also appears that IBM has or is about to bring a 16 Qubit computer on line for their Q Experience program.

13. Apr 6, 2018 #33

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 16-qubit machine has been online for a while. There is now a 20-qubit processor online (which not everyone can access) and the 50-qubit machine is -we are told- in the pipeline (assuming is passes all tests)
    This page summarized (in real-time) the status of all the IBM hardware that can currently be accessed via the cloud
    https://quantumexperience.ng.bluemix.net/qx/devices

Note also that it is expected that both Google and Rigetti Computing will at some point start offering cloud access to their machines.

Btw, since this is probably not apparent to everyone: compare the T1 and T2 times of the 20 qubit machine and the 5 qubit machine; the coherence times of the former are better which is very interesting. They are making progress extremely quickly....

14. Apr 10, 2018 #34
    As mentioned, several corporations, including mine, have quantum computers actually in use on practical problems, but I've not seen dramatic success stories to date. I was fortunate to get an in-depth briefing on this technology a couple of years ago.

The idea is that each qubit is in a quantum superposition of logic 0 and logic 1, so each run of an algorithm, involving multiple steps with multiple qubits, yields a solution which is also a superposition of many possible solutions. Presto: parallel processing! Nevertheless, the actual output of each run is only a single number, due to the "projection postulate" (ala von Neumann). So in order to achieve "parallel processing", the same algorithm has to be run many many times, and the ensemble of outputs fall into a statistical distribution per the Born rule. The statistical result can then be viewed as the desired answer.

The biggest obstacle is isolating the qubits from the environment so that they display quantum rather than classical behavior. This is approached using super-cooling, super-conducting, or other techniques. The success metric is the "coherence time", which is the average duration before the pure the quantum state decays due to environmental interaction. Limiting factors include the number of qubits which can be so isolated simultaneously, and the numbers of channels through which each qubit can be logically connected with other qubits without destroying quantum coherence.

What I find interesting is that quantum computers appear to be a practical application of quantum theory, without which they would not work as advertised. This is similar to Navstar GPS which requires relativity, even though some of the engineers didn't believe in it during development.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted