When do you think Quantum Computers will be out?

In summary, quantum computers are already available in labs, but they are not as versatile as traditional computers and are currently limited to specific roles. A 128-qubit commercial machine was recently sold for 10 million dollars, but there is skepticism about its functionality and the actual computational capabilities of D-wave machines. The RSA algorithm is still safe for now, and quantum computing is still a long way off from being widely used. There are concerns about the actual usefulness and performance of D-wave machines, and experts in the field have expressed skepticism about their capabilities.
dav1d
When do you think Quantum Computers will be out? Most scientists think 20-30 years but we have them in the lab already, they're just 1.5mill and only about 6 qubits.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are already out. A month ago first 128-qubit commercialy available machine was sold for 10M$. Is it worth its price - what applications may it be really used for?

Quantum computers are not as universal like 'classical' ones. You can't write 100,000 lines of C++ code. So if the algorithm (AQO for this box) is designed for optimisation, it doesn't mean you really may find a minimum of any function you like.

Great question: what this D-Wave machine is really able to compute?

xts said:
They are already out. A month ago first 128-qubit commercialy available machine was sold for 10M$. Is it worth its price - what applications may it be really used for?

Quantum computers are not as universal like 'classical' ones. You can't write 100,000 lines of C++ code. So if the algorithm (AQO for this box) is designed for optimisation, it doesn't mean you really may find a minimum of any function you like.

Great question: what this D-Wave machine is really able to compute?

This "quantum" computer has been built by a 55man company in a short time period. The Dwave machine has quantum elements and using quantum modelling in its algorithms but there is now way on Earth that is a fully operational 128 Qbit computer.

Currently top labs in the world struggle to entangle 10 Qbits for brief periods of time - I do not believe Dwave have not only entangled 128Qbits but can now use these effectively for computational purposes. My scepticism is also one shared by the Quantum Computing research field - it can be stresses that D-wave One has never been shown to be opertaional under quantum computing mechanisms - they show the end result of the computations but not the process to get their. To clarify the computations performed for Lockhead & Martin by the D-Wave One could have been performed by a number of high powered supercomputers.

This is not to say process is not being made - just do not believe the hype, remember after all they have a product to sell!

That's what I expected from D-Wave.
Anyway, even single 10M$ box in a short time for 55 people, deducting expenses, still makes something like 100k$ per head - not terribly bad ;)

10 years ago IBM claimed to fraction 15 into 3*5 (which is a special easy case for Shor's algorithm)
Did anybody make any progress since then? 21 maybe?
Should I feel safe with my 4-bit long RSA signature :eek: ?

xts said:
That's what I expected from D-Wave.
Anyway, even single 10M$ box in a short time for 55 people, deducting expenses, still makes something like 100k$ per head - not terribly bad ;)

10 years ago IBM claimed to fraction 15 into 3*5 (which is a special easy case for Shor's algorithm)
Did anybody make any progress since then? 21 maybe?
Should I feel safe with my 4-bit long RSA signature :eek: ?

The algorithm is actually easy to solve - ordinary computers can do it - its the order finding process that is difficult. So yes you should be ok with your RSA key at least for the foreseeable future!

Quantum computing is still a long way off IMHO - QCs can develop in very specific roles at the moment - but until you have QCs that arent mechanism specific, then application can be limited.

Just to give people a little more info:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/10/31/lockheed-martin-installs-quantum-computer/"

and referenced article

http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=639"

Scott Aaronson is something of an authority in this field - his opinion is definitely more authoratative than D-Waves commercial hype!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. When will Quantum Computers become available for public use?

It is difficult to predict an exact timeline for when Quantum Computers will be available for public use. Many experts believe that it could be within the next decade, but it ultimately depends on the progress of research and development.

2. How do Quantum Computers differ from traditional computers?

Quantum Computers use quantum bits, or qubits, instead of traditional bits, which allow them to perform calculations and processes at a much faster rate. They also have the ability to handle much larger and more complex datasets.

3. Will Quantum Computers replace traditional computers?

It is unlikely that Quantum Computers will completely replace traditional computers. They will likely be used in conjunction with traditional computers for specific tasks that require their unique capabilities.

4. What are some potential applications of Quantum Computers?

Quantum Computers have the potential to revolutionize industries such as pharmaceuticals, finance, and telecommunications. They can also be used for complex simulations and optimization problems.

5. How do Quantum Computers work?

Quantum Computers use principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform calculations. These principles allow qubits to exist in multiple states at once, allowing for more complex and faster processing.