Quantum Dynamics: Boron 14 Splitting into Carbon 14 and Electron

In summary, the boron 14 nucleus splits into a electron (.00055u) and a carbon 14 (13.99995u). The electron has a higher speed (186,282 kilometers per second) than the carbon (152,404 kilometers per second). The kinetic energy of the electron is 4.184 x 10^{-19} Joules, while the kinetic energy of the carbon is 3.99 x 10^{-19} Joules.
thharrimw

Homework Statement

a boron 14 nucleus (mass=14.02266u) is at rest splits into a electron (.00055U) and a carbon 14 (13.99995u) what are the speeds and KE for the carbon and the electron.

Homework Equations

i need help getting started on this so could someone help me get started.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need is: conservation of momentum, conversation of energy (both together correspond to conservation of 4 Momentum)
then you need the relativistic Dispersion law:
[tex]E^2-\vec{p}^2=m^2[/tex]
and the definition of kinetic energy:
[tex]E_{kin}=E-m[/tex]
If you use all that and convert your units the right way you are done.

the only equations my book gave me are;
p=Ymu
E=Ymc^2
KE=Ymc^2-mc^2
KE=mc^2+1/2mu^2
deltaKE+delta mc^2
E^2=p^2C^2+m^2C^4
so i don't know if i could rewrite those equations to get the ones you told me to use. if i can can you show me how? if not can you show me how to solve the problem using those equations? I'm sorry if i seem like i don't know much but i have a quantum physics book and I'm trying to teach myself quantum physics.

Ok, I'll try to give a few hints:

You know that the boron was at rest, before the decay, that means by conservation of momentum:
[tex]\vec{p_C}=-\vec{p_e}[/tex]
this means especially, that the momenta of carbon and electron have the same absolute value.
Since the energy is conserved (and we know the Boron was at rest, which means it had only it's rest Energy E=m_B c^2):
[tex]m_B c^2=E_e+E_C[/tex]
now you plug in [tex]E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4[/tex] for e and C and use that the momentum for e and C hast the same absolute value(which I will denote by p):
[tex]m_B c^2 =2 p^2 c^2 +(m_e^2+m_C^2)c^4[/tex]
Now you can use this to find [tex]p^2[/tex], since you now all the other quantities. then you plug this into:
[tex]p^2=\gamma^2 m^2 v^2[/tex]
now you can plug in the formula for gamma and find v. (the speeds will be different for electron and Carbon since they have different masses).
To find [tex]E_{kin}[/tex] you just plug p into [tex]E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4[/tex] for the electron and the Carbon, take the square root of it and substract [tex]m c^2[/tex] to get the kinetic energy

thanks that makes sense but what dose the arow above pc mean?

The arrow means that its a vector.

ok thanks that helped a lot

1. What is Quantum Dynamics?

Quantum Dynamics is the study of the behavior and interactions of particles on a microscopic level, specifically at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How does Boron 14 split into Carbon 14 and an electron?

This process, known as beta decay, occurs when a neutron in the nucleus of Boron 14 decays into a proton and an electron. The electron is then emitted from the nucleus, resulting in the formation of Carbon 14.

3. Why does this splitting occur?

Boron 14 is an unstable isotope, meaning its nucleus is not in a balanced or stable state. In order to reach a more stable state, the nucleus undergoes beta decay, splitting into two smaller particles.

4. What is the significance of this splitting in the field of quantum dynamics?

This process is an example of quantum tunneling, where a particle can pass through a barrier that would otherwise be impossible to cross according to classical physics. It also demonstrates the concept of wave-particle duality, where particles exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors.

5. Is quantum dynamics only relevant on a small scale?

While quantum dynamics primarily deals with particles on a microscopic level, its principles and theories have applications in various fields, such as chemistry, materials science, and even technology, making it relevant on both small and large scales.