Special Relativity homework problems

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with problems from their textbook for a final exam in Modern Physics. The problems involve topics such as special and general relativity, quantum physics, and nuclear decay. The student and another person discuss possible solutions and strategies for solving the problems. The summary also includes some hints and suggestions given by the other person to help the student solve the problems.
Gogsey
Hi,

These are not homework problem, but problems from my textbook. I am studying for a final exam in 2nd year Modern Physics that is on Monday and need some help with question. This set will be about special and genreal relativity, and I'll post another on quantum physics.

1). How fast must a plane 50m long travel to be found by observers on the ground to be 0.10nm shorter than 50 m?

2).At eraths location, the intensityof sunlight is 1.5kW/m^2. If no energy escaped earth, by how much would Earth's mass increase in 1 day?

3). Radiant energy fromthe sun, approximately 150000000000m away, arrives at Earth with an intensity of 1.5kW/m^2. At what rate is mass beig converted on the sun to produce this radiant energy?

4). A spring has a force constant of 18N/m. If it is compressed 50cm from its equilibrium lenght, how much mass has it gained?

5). A famous experiment detected 527 muons per hour the top om Mt. Washington, New Hamptshire, eleavation 1910m. At sea levelthe same equipment detected 395 muons per hour. A discriminator selected for muons whose speed was between 0.995c and 0.0054c. Given that the mean lifetime of a muon in it res frame is 2.2 microseconds and that muons decay with the regular fotrula, prove this results are sensible.

6). A 10kg object is moving to the right at 0.6c. It explodes into 2 peices , one of mas m1 moving to the left at 0.6c and one of mass m2, moving to the right at 0.8c.
a). Find the masses of m1 and m2
b). Find the change in kinetic energy in this explosion.

7). The boron-14 nucleus (mass: 14.02266u) "beta decays" spontaneously becoming an electron(mass: 0.00055u) and a carbon-14 nucleus(mass: 13.99995u). What will be the speeds and kinetic energies of the carbon-14 nuclleus and the electron? A neutrino is also produced but in this case, its energy and momentum is negligible. Also, because te carbon_14 nucleus is is much more massive then the electron, it recoils "slowely" ( gamma =1).

8). According to an observer at the Earths eqautor, by how much would his clock and one on a satellitein geosynchronous orbit differ in one day?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Attempt to solution MUST be provodided. Read AND follow forum rules!

Ok,

1). I know you use the binomial expansion, or taylors expansion, but after this I'm not sure how to solve for velocity. I thought about equating the series with gamma.

2). and 3). I don't really knowhoe to calculate gain or loss in mass. So I'm not sure where to start.

4). I used the 0.5kx^2 formual to get the potential of the spring, again not sure how to claculate gain in mass. Only thing I could think of is to set potentil energy to kinetic energy, solve foe v and then calculate gamma and then multiply by the rest mass to gentthe new mass. Thing is the kinetic energy is dependent on velocity, and the oblect is stationary.

5). I tried to claculate the time in the moving frame using time dilation, after calculating gamma, then using the formula for muons, trouble is I don't know what No is. The only thing is possibly for the one at sea level No could be the ones that survived to the 1910m elevation. But then what is NO for the upper elevation?

6) and 7) I tried conservation of energy, but with no luck. I know that mass is lost, but I don'y know how to do this.

8). I have no idea. The question doesn't give you much, except the time ellaped.

1) why don't use lorentz transformation and length contraction formula?

2) What is relationship between mass and energy?

3) same as 2

4) same as 3

5) you can chose No as whatever you want, the exponentail law does not depend on it, you just want the life time.

6) why don't you show what you did so someone might help you and said what you did wrong?

7) same as 6

8) Why? the tangential velocity is proportional to radius.. give it a try.

1). I'll try that thanks, its just the length different is so small.

2), 3), and 4), E = gamma mc^2( for total energy that is).

5). Does it sound correct what I'm doing otherwise?

8). Ok, but what the radius. Is it just the radius of the earth? Do yu mean mvr is equal to something? What?

2,3,4) And if the Earth absorbs photons, you have E = mc^2, einsteins famous formula. try it.

5) don't know, didn't read so much.
use N = No*Exp(-t/lifetime)

8) use the fact that fixed points on a spinning, solid, circle has same period and angular frequency. Just say R > R_earth.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects move at high speeds and the effects of gravity on these objects. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames, and the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their relative velocities.

2. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in several ways. First, it takes into account the fact that the speed of light is the same for all observers, which leads to the concept of time dilation and length contraction. Second, it combines space and time into a single entity called spacetime. Third, it introduces the concept of four-dimensional spacetime, with three dimensions of space and one dimension of time, as opposed to the three-dimensional space and one-dimensional time of classical mechanics.

3. What is the Lorentz transformation and how is it used in special relativity?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how measurements of space and time are affected by the relative motion of two inertial reference frames. It is used in special relativity to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction, as well as to transform measurements between different reference frames.

4. What are some common applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications in modern technology. Some examples include GPS systems, which use special relativity to correct for the effects of time dilation on satellites, particle accelerators, which use special relativity to calculate the trajectories of particles moving at high speeds, and nuclear power plants, which use special relativity to calculate the energy released in nuclear reactions.

5. How can I solve special relativity homework problems?

To solve special relativity homework problems, it is important to first understand the underlying principles and equations of special relativity. This includes concepts such as time dilation, length contraction, and the Lorentz transformation. It is also helpful to practice using these equations in various scenarios, such as calculating the time dilation of a moving object or transforming measurements between reference frames. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in understanding and solving special relativity problems.