Quantum Entanglement: The Spooky Connection Between Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the entanglement of particles and how their states can remain unchanged even after interacting with other particles or fields. It also mentions the different states of particles and how they are characterized by their wavefunctions, which can vary depending on the location of the particle. The conversation also includes references to Brian Cox's book and TV lectures and a YouTube video discussing the EPR paradox. There is also a humorous suggestion for a physics-based band called "the disentanglements."
StationZero
Q1: If every atom has to adjust their energy levels according to every other atom in the universe, does that mean that any given single atom has its interior invaded by a catalog of energy states from every other atom in the universe? And only after accounting for all the energy states that have already been taken, then find a unique one?

Q2: How can the spin states of two particles be measured 100's of miles apart when they trypically will interact with other particles almost immediately, for example in the pair creation of an electron and positron for the test system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is Q1 inspired by the statements in Brian Cox's book and tv lecturs? If so, there is some relevant discussion here and on the physics stackexchange here

StationZero said:
Q2: How can the spin states of two particles be measured 100's of miles apart when they trypically will interact with other particles almost immediately, for example in the pair creation of an electron and positron for the test system?

Particles can easily remain entangled even after interacting with other particles or fields. The question is whether the interaction collapses the state (at least in some basis) and in many cases that answer is no. For example, a magnetic field can alter the path of a charged particle without affecting its spin. If it was spin entangled before, it would remain spin entangled.

For photons: they can go through fiber cable and be twisted and turned without yielding any information about their polarization. Again, if it was polarizationentangled before, it would remain polarization entangled.

Q1: If every atom has to adjust their energy levels according to every other atom in the universe, does that mean that any given single atom has its interior invaded by a catalog of energy states from every other atom in the universe? And only after accounting for all the energy states that have already been taken, then find a unique one?
You'll notice they don't do this, of course. Every hydrogen atom in the universe has the same ground state energy, and each electron happily occupies its ground state without obtaining permission from the other ones! That's because they are different states: (ground state in atom 1) is a different state from (ground state in atom 2), and so the overall wavefunction has no trouble being antisymmetric.

Thanks for the reply's gang.

Every hydrogen atom in the universe has the same ground state energy, and each electron happily occupies its ground state without obtaining permission from the other ones!
That makes more sense to me, and yes I was talking about the Brian Cox show but I also found it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x9AgZASQ4k&list=PL04722FAFB07E38E1&index=16&feature=plpp_video
These guys, though, seem to be saying explicitly that each atom has an entire catalog of every atoms energy state in the universe, and there's no budging on that. Am I reading this wrong?

I guess my confusion is well-shared. I've been reading the Brian Cox thread. Very animated. Thanks for the lead Sheaf.

Confusion can be contagious.

Regarding the youtube video, note that "DrPhysicsA" is a professional musician, whose only current involvement in physics is producing this series of videos. The present one is legit until the 10 minute mark, at which point it takes off.

Try looking up "EPR Paradox" in Wikipedia. DrPhysicsA follows this discussion word for word, but then arrives at the wrong conclusion. Scroll down to where the article says "Here is the crux of the matter" and see if you can spot the difference.

note that "DrPhysicsA" is a professional musician

Really? Brian Cox is a professional musician too! Maybe they should start a band called "the disentanglements" and write a song that clears up their shared miscommunications. I sure would like to hear it.:-pYuk Yuk

Bill_K said:
That's because they are different states: (ground state in atom 1) is a different state from (ground state in atom 2), and so the overall wavefunction has no trouble being antisymmetric.

in what way are the ground states different? ...even though they have same energy levels...

They're located in different places. A state is characterized by its wavefunction ψ(x,t), and this is different depending on where the atom is.

StationZero said:
Really? Brian Cox is a professional musician too! Maybe they should start a band called "the disentanglements" and write a song that clears up their shared miscommunications. I sure would like to hear it.:-pYuk Yuk

...lol... good joke !
The Dissentanglements !

Thanks, physics humor doesn't get any nerdier than that.

Related to Quantum Entanglement: The Spooky Connection Between Particles

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

2. How is entanglement useful?

Entanglement allows for the transmission of information and communication at faster-than-light speeds, and has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation.

3. What is "More entanglement fun"?

"More entanglement fun" refers to the further exploration and experimentation of entanglement in various fields of science and technology, as well as the development of new technologies and applications based on entanglement.

4. Can entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and is not observable in our daily lives. It requires specialized equipment and controlled environments to be observed and utilized.

5. Is entanglement fully understood by scientists?

No, entanglement is a complex phenomenon that is still being researched and understood by scientists. While we have made significant progress in understanding and utilizing entanglement, there is still much to be discovered and explored in this field.