Calculating the Effective Action of a Scalar Field Theory

In summary, we substituted the definitions of G_n and \Gamma_n and used the functional chain rule to simplify the expression to - \int d^dz G_2(x,z) \Gamma_2(z,y) = \int d^dz \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \left( \int d^dx J \phi - W[J] \right) \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(y)}Then, we used the identity \delta^{(d)}(x-y) = \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta J(x)} to simplify further to - \int d^dz G_2(x,z) \Gamma_2(z,y) = \int d
latentcorpse
The effective action Γ[ϕ] for a scalar field theory is a functional of an auxiliary field ϕ(x). Both
Γ and ϕ are defined in terms of the generating functional for connected graphs W[J] as

[itex]W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi , \quad \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} W[J] = \phi(x)[/itex]

Show

[itex]- \int d^dz G_2(x,z) \Gamma_2(z,y) = \delta^{(d)}(x-y)[/itex]

where [itex]G_n(x_1 , \dots , x_n) = (-i)^{n-1} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \dots \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_n)} W[J][/itex]
are the connected n point functions of the theory and
[itex]\Gamma_n(x_1 , \dots , x_n) = -i \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x_1)} \dots \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x_n)} \Gamma[\phi][/itex]

So far I have just substituted from the definitions to get
[itex]- \int d^dz G_2(x,z) \Gamma_2(z,y) = \int d^dz \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(z)} W[J] \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(y)} \Gamma[\phi][/itex]
which becomes
[itex]\int d^dz \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \phi(y) \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} J(y)[/itex]
But then I am lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
latentcorpse said:
So far I have just substituted from the definitions to get
[itex]- \int d^dz G_2(x,z) \Gamma_2(z,y) = \int d^dz \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(z)} W[J] \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(y)} \Gamma[\phi][/itex]
which becomes
[itex]\int d^dz \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \phi(y) \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} J(y)[/itex]
But then I am lost...

From the identity for [tex]\phi(z)[/tex], you should have

[itex]\int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} .[/itex]

fzero said:
From the identity for [tex]\phi(z)[/tex], you should have

[itex]\int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} .[/itex]

yeah sry that's what i meant

now can i just cancel the [itex]\phi(z)[/itex]'s or what? and how do i get rid of the integral?

well yeah since from the functional chain rule

[itex]
\frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} = \delta^{(d)}(x-y)
[/itex]

sgd37 said:
well yeah since from the functional chain rule

[itex]
\frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} = \delta^{(d)}(x-y)
[/itex]

Of course! Thanks. As for the last bit, I am asked to show that
[itex]G_3(x_1, x_2, x_3) = \int d^dy_1 d^dy_2 d^dy_3
G_2(x_1, y_1)G_2(x_2, y_2)G_2(x_3, y_3) \Gamma_3(y_1, y_2, y_3) [/itex]

So I substituted for the G's and the Gamma. All the i's cancelled. Then I used the functional chain rule and was left with

[itex]\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \Gamma[\phi][/itex]

Then the only constructive thing I could think to do was to sub for Gamma as follows:
[itex]\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \left( \int d^dx J \phi - W[J] \right)[/itex]
So the 2nd term gives me exactly what I want but I don't know how to get rid of that first one?

latentcorpse said:
Then the only constructive thing I could think to do was to sub for Gamma as follows:
[itex]\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \left( \int d^dx J \phi - W[J] \right)[/itex]
So the 2nd term gives me exactly what I want but I don't know how to get rid of that first one?

You can compute the derivatives of the first term by noting that

[itex]
\frac{\delta }{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z)} [/itex]

on functionals of [tex]\phi[/tex].

fzero said:
You can compute the derivatives of the first term by noting that

[itex]
\frac{\delta }{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z)} [/itex]

on functionals of [tex]\phi[/tex].

So we have

[itex]
\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \left( \int d^dx J \phi \right)
[/itex]
[itex]= \int d^dz_1 \int d^dz_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta\phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta\phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_2)} \frac{\delta\phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_3)} \int d^dx J \phi[/itex]

But what are the [itex]J[/itex] and the [itex]\phi[/itex] functions of? Without knowing that surely I cannot do the derivatives? And can I just move those functional derivatives inside that last integral so they can act on the [itex]J \phi[/itex]?

Thanks!

latentcorpse said:
So we have

[itex]
\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \left( \int d^dx J \phi \right)
[/itex]
[itex]= \int d^dz_1 \int d^dz_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta\phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta\phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_2)} \frac{\delta\phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_3)} \int d^dx J \phi[/itex]

This is a bad way to write things, since there's no reason to use the chain rule when the derivatives act on [tex]J[/tex].

But what are the [itex]J[/itex] and the [itex]\phi[/itex] functions of? Without knowing that surely I cannot do the derivatives? [/tex]

Those are functions of the integration variable [tex]x[/tex].

And can I just move those functional derivatives inside that last integral so they can act on the [itex]J \phi[/itex]?

Yes.

How do i post new topic?

fzero said:
This is a bad way to write things, since there's no reason to use the chain rule when the derivatives act on [tex]J[/tex].
I don't see how else to write it or what the problem is. However, I expanded it out and got:

[itex]\int d^dz_1 \int d^d z_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta \phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \int d^dx \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_2)} ( J(x) \delta^{(d)}(x-z_3) )[/itex]
[itex]=\int d^dz_1 \int d^d z_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta \phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_2)} J(z_3) [/itex]
[itex]=0[/itex] since [itex]\frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_1)} = \frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_2)}=0[/itex]

How's that? If it's wrong, can you elaborate on what the problem was in the last post please. Thanks.

latentcorpse said:
I don't see how else to write it or what the problem is. However, I expanded it out and got:

[itex]\int d^dz_1 \int d^d z_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta \phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \int d^dx \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_2)} ( J(x) \delta^{(d)}(x-z_3) )[/itex]
[itex]=\int d^dz_1 \int d^d z_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta \phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_2)} J(z_3) [/itex]
[itex]=0[/itex] since [itex]\frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_1)} = \frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_2)}=0[/itex]

How's that? If it's wrong, can you elaborate on what the problem was in the last post please. Thanks.

But

[itex]\frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_1)} =0 (*) [/itex]

is not compatible with

[itex]
\frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} = \delta^{(d)}(x-y).
[/itex]

Since we know the 2nd form is correct, the derivative (*) must not be zero.

What I'm telling you is that you need to use a sort of convective derivative here:

[tex]\frac{D}{DJ(x)} = \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} + \int d^dz \frac{\delta \phi(z) } {\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} .[/tex]

For instance

[tex] \frac{D}{DJ(x)} ( F[J] G[\phi] ) = \frac{\delta F[J]}{\delta J(x)} G[\phi] + F[J] \int d^dz \frac{\delta \phi(z) } {\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta G[\phi]}{\delta \phi(z)}. [/tex]

Disregard my last couple of posts, since I seem to be overcomplicating things.

The first equation you started with

[itex]
W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi , \quad \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} W[J] = \phi(x)
[/itex]

is completely compatible with

[tex] \frac{\delta}{\delta J(z) } \left( W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] \right) = \phi(z),[/tex]

which means that

[tex] \frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta J(z) } = 0 [/tex]

so that we should consider

[tex]\frac{\delta \phi(x) }{\delta J(z) } = 0.[/tex]

So there's no reason to use the chain rule to compute derivatives here, since [tex]J,\phi[/tex] are independent variables. You can go back to your post #5 and compute away.

fzero said:
Disregard my last couple of posts, since I seem to be overcomplicating things.

The first equation you started with

[itex]
W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi , \quad \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} W[J] = \phi(x)
[/itex]

is completely compatible with

[tex] \frac{\delta}{\delta J(z) } \left( W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] \right) = \phi(z),[/tex]

which means that

[tex] \frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta J(z) } = 0 [/tex]

so that we should consider

[tex]\frac{\delta \phi(x) }{\delta J(z) } = 0.[/tex]

So there's no reason to use the chain rule to compute derivatives here, since [tex]J,\phi[/tex] are independent variables. You can go back to your post #5 and compute away.

In post 5 I had [itex]
\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \Gamma[\phi]
[/itex]
which will surely vanish since you have just shown to me that [itex]\frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta J(z) } = 0[/itex], right?

One other thing, how did you deduce at the end of your last post that [tex]\frac{\delta \phi(x) }{\delta J(z) } = 0[/tex]?

Sorry, I think I have to take my last post back. One can't conclude that [tex]\delta \phi/\delta J =0[/tex] because we also have to take into account that

[tex]\frac{\delta \Gamma}{\delta \phi(x)} = J(x), [/tex]

with a similar equation for [tex]W[J][/tex]. So we know that

[tex] \frac{\delta}{\delta J(y)} \frac{\delta \Gamma}{\delta \phi(x)} \neq 0[/tex]

and you have to use the chain rule everywhere anyway.

By the way the equation that was confusing me originally works out properly under the chain rule. We had

[itex]
W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J(x) \phi(x) , ~~~(*)
[/itex]

so the derivative of the LHS with respect to [tex]J(z)[/tex] is

[tex] \frac{\delta W[J]}{\delta J(z)} + \int d^dx \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(z)}\frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta \phi(x)} = \phi(z) + \int d^dx \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(z)} J(x),[/tex]

where we used [tex]\delta \Gamma[\phi]/\delta \phi(x) = J(x)[/tex], [tex]\delta W[J] /\delta J(x) = \phi(x)[/tex]. Whereas on the RHS of (*), we compute directly using the chain rule

[tex] \phi(z) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(z)}. [/tex]

This can be shown to be equal to the preceeding expression by integration by parts.I believe, but haven't shown that similar manipulations will lead to the correct result for the 3-point function. Your last post seems to imply that we couldn't derive that result if we ignored the partial derivatives in the chain rule.

Sorry for the confusion, but I think we were on the right track at the beginning.

fzero said:
Sorry, I think I have to take my last post back. One can't conclude that [tex]\delta \phi/\delta J =0[/tex] because we also have to take into account that

[tex]\frac{\delta \Gamma}{\delta \phi(x)} = J(x), [/tex]

with a similar equation for [tex]W[J][/tex]. So we know that

[tex] \frac{\delta}{\delta J(y)} \frac{\delta \Gamma}{\delta \phi(x)} \neq 0[/tex]

and you have to use the chain rule everywhere anyway.

By the way the equation that was confusing me originally works out properly under the chain rule. We had

[itex]
W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J(x) \phi(x) , ~~~(*)
[/itex]

so the derivative of the LHS with respect to [tex]J(z)[/tex] is

[tex] \frac{\delta W[J]}{\delta J(z)} + \int d^dx \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(z)}\frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta \phi(x)} = \phi(z) + \int d^dx \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(z)} J(x),[/tex]

where we used [tex]\delta \Gamma[\phi]/\delta \phi(x) = J(x)[/tex], [tex]\delta W[J] /\delta J(x) = \phi(x)[/tex]. Whereas on the RHS of (*), we compute directly using the chain rule

[tex] \phi(z) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(z)}. [/tex]

This can be shown to be equal to the preceeding expression by integration by parts.I believe, but haven't shown that similar manipulations will lead to the correct result for the 3-point function. Your last post seems to imply that we couldn't derive that result if we ignored the partial derivatives in the chain rule.

Sorry for the confusion, but I think we were on the right track at the beginning.

That's no problem. I had the right answer and the additional term [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \int d^dx J(x) \phi(x)[/itex] that I need to get rid of.

This becomes

[itex]= \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)} \left( \phi(x_3) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]

Is this looking ok?

latentcorpse said:
That's no problem. I had the right answer and the additional term [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \int d^dx J(x) \phi(x)[/itex] that I need to get rid of.

This becomes

[itex]= \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)} \left( \phi(x_3) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]

Is this looking ok?

Yes.

Actually a few more things are coming to me. Since

[tex]\phi(x) = \frac{\delta W[J]}{\delta J(x)}, [/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{\delta\phi(x)}{\delta J(z)}= \frac{\delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(z) \delta J(x)}. [/tex]

Presumably there's a place to use this or a similar expression in your calculation.

fzero said:
Yes.

Actually a few more things are coming to me. Since

[tex]\phi(x) = \frac{\delta W[J]}{\delta J(x)}, [/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{\delta\phi(x)}{\delta J(z)}= \frac{\delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(z) \delta J(x)}. [/tex]

Presumably there's a place to use this or a similar expression in your calculation.

Well I can't see how it will vanish though:

[itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} ( \phi(x_3) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{ \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \left( \frac{\phi(x_3)}{\delta J(x_2)} + \int d^dx \delta^{(d)}(x-x_2) \frac{delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta^3 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \left( 2\frac{\phi(x_3)}{\delta J(x_2)} + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta^3 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{2 \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^dx \delta^{(d)}(x-x_1) \frac{\delta^3W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^d x J(x) \frac{\delta^4 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{3 \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^d x J(x) \frac{\delta^4 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]

latentcorpse said:
Well I can't see how it will vanish though:

[itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} ( \phi(x_3) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{ \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \left( \frac{\phi(x_3)}{\delta J(x_2)} + \int d^dx \delta^{(d)}(x-x_2) \frac{delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta^3 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \left( 2\frac{\phi(x_3)}{\delta J(x_2)} + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta^3 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{2 \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^dx \delta^{(d)}(x-x_1) \frac{\delta^3W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^d x J(x) \frac{\delta^4 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{3 \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^d x J(x) \frac{\delta^4 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]

That's a mess and I think it's partly due to trying to use the chain rule to claim that

[itex]
\int d^dy_1 d^dy_2 d^dy_3
G_2(x_1, y_1)G_2(x_2, y_2)G_2(x_3, y_3) \Gamma_3(y_1, y_2, y_3) =
\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \Gamma[\phi].
[/itex]

The problem is that you'll find that

[tex] \left[ \frac{\delta \phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} , \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(y)} \right] \neq 0, [/tex]

so you can't just commute the factors of [tex]G_2[/tex] around like you'd want. In any case, the substitution

[tex]W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi[/tex]

also adds complications.

It seems like the smallest amount of fuss would be deriving this from the original identity on 2-pt functions:

[itex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \int d^dy_2 G_2(x_2,y_2) \Gamma_2(y_2,y_3) = 0.
[/itex]

fzero said:
That's a mess and I think it's partly due to trying to use the chain rule to claim that

[itex]
\int d^dy_1 d^dy_2 d^dy_3
G_2(x_1, y_1)G_2(x_2, y_2)G_2(x_3, y_3) \Gamma_3(y_1, y_2, y_3) =
\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \Gamma[\phi].
[/itex]

The problem is that you'll find that

[tex] \left[ \frac{\delta \phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} , \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(y)} \right] \neq 0, [/tex]

so you can't just commute the factors of [tex]G_2[/tex] around like you'd want. In any case, the substitution

[tex]W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi[/tex]

also adds complications.

It seems like the smallest amount of fuss would be deriving this from the original identity on 2-pt functions:

[itex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \int d^dy_2 G_2(x_2,y_2) \Gamma_2(y_2,y_3) = 0.
[/itex]
Erm sorry but where do I use this identity?

Acting with the derivative we get a sum of two terms, one involving [tex]G_3[/tex] and the other [tex]\Gamma_3[/tex]. You can derive the stated identity without having to worry about any ordering of derivatives.

What is an effective action in a scalar field theory?

The effective action in a scalar field theory is a functional of the field that takes into account all possible interactions and fluctuations of the field. It is a way to summarize the dynamics of the field and is often used to make predictions about the behavior of the system.

How is the effective action calculated?

The effective action is typically calculated using a path integral approach, where all possible field configurations are summed over. This involves integrating over all field values and taking into account all possible interactions and fluctuations of the field.

What is the significance of the effective action in a scalar field theory?

The effective action provides a way to study the behavior of a system at different energy scales. It can reveal important information about the underlying dynamics and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the system.

Can the effective action be calculated exactly?

In general, the effective action cannot be calculated exactly due to the complexity of the calculations involved. However, certain approximations and techniques can be used to calculate it to a certain degree of accuracy.

How does the effective action relate to the classical action in a scalar field theory?

The effective action is related to the classical action through a functional Legendre transformation. This transformation takes into account all quantum corrections to the classical action and provides a more accurate description of the dynamics of the system.