Quantum information/symmetry/group theory.

In summary, the step between equations 2.17 - 2.18 in the provided notes involves a Taylor expansion of the unitary operator U(R(t)) around t=0, where t is a set of parameters. This is done to show that every unitary operator can be represented as ei \epsilonA, where A is a Hermite operator. The expansion involves a Q term defined as the first order term in the expansion.
barnflakes
I don't understand the step between equations 2.17 - 2.18 in these notes:

http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/chap2.pdf

Can somebody explain what's happening there to me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just expand the U up to linear order. What exactly is not clear to you?

barnflakes said:
I don't understand the step between equations 2.17 - 2.18 in these notes:

http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/chap2.pdf

Can somebody explain what's happening there to me please?

I think that every unitary operator can be represented as ei [tex]\epsilon[/tex]A where A is Hermite operator. (2.18) is basically expansion of exponential function.

2.18 is unrelated to 2.17. It's just a Taylor expansion of U(R(t)) around t=0, where t is some set of parameters (e.g. three Euler angles when R(t) is a rotation).

Edit: Weird...I didn't even see Haushofer's reply before I posted.

Apologies, it sounded unclear from what I wrote, I want to know about the bit after 2.17 that leads to 2.18. I know the two equations are unrelated.

ie. R = I + eT, what does that mean that U = 1 - ieQ + O(e^2) ??

It's just a Taylor expansion around 0.

[tex]f(x)=f(0)+xf'(0)+\frac 1 2 x^2 f''(0)+\cdots[/tex]

[tex]U(R(\varepsilon))=U(R(0))+\varepsilon\frac{d}{d\varepsilon}\bigg|_0 U(R(\varepsilon))+\mathcal O(\varepsilon^2)[/tex]

It assumes that the paremeter [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] has been chosen so that [itex]R(0)[/itex] is the identity elememt of the group. The function [itex]U:G\rightarrow GL(V)[/itex] is a representation of the group G, so it must take the identity element of the group to the identity element in GL(V). The Q that appears on the right is defined by writing the first order term of the expansion as [itex]-i\varepsilon Q[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is quantum information?

Quantum information refers to the study of how information is encoded, processed, and transmitted in quantum systems. This field combines principles from quantum mechanics, computer science, and information theory to understand and manipulate quantum information.

2. What is symmetry in quantum mechanics?

Symmetry in quantum mechanics refers to the invariance of a system under certain transformations. These transformations can include rotations, translations, and reflections. Symmetry plays a crucial role in understanding the properties and behavior of quantum systems.

3. How is group theory used in quantum mechanics?

Group theory is a mathematical framework used to study the symmetries of a system. In quantum mechanics, group theory is used to classify and analyze the symmetries of quantum systems, which helps to understand their properties and behavior.

4. What are the applications of quantum information?

Quantum information has many potential applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum communication. It also has implications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.

5. What are entanglement and superposition in quantum information?

Entanglement and superposition are two fundamental principles in quantum information. Entanglement refers to the correlation between two or more quantum systems, while superposition refers to the state of a system being in multiple states simultaneously. These principles are essential for quantum information processing and play a crucial role in quantum computing and communication.