Can a Small YBa2Cu3O7 Disk Navigate a Ring Magnet Track in Quantum Levitation?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student planning a Science Fair project on Quantum Levitation. The student is looking to buy materials to demonstrate the science behind it, but is limited by budget. They discuss the use of a 1/2" YBa2Cu3O7 disk and a rare metal ring magnet from a website, and whether the disk will go around the magnet or simply hover in the middle. They determine that it should work with the proper conditions, and that the project may be more suited for the Atomic/Solid State branch of the forum rather than the Quantum Mechanics branch. The student is encouraged to learn about both aspects of superconductor physics, but the electromagnetic aspects should be more manageable with some reading.
Phizix
Okay so I am a high school student so please don't hate me if this is a dumb question.

I'm am doing a Science Fair Project in a couple of months and I decided to start thinking of some ideas. I'm thinking of doing Quantum Levitation (Quantum Locking) and the science behind it. So as most of you know you need a superconductor (YBa2Cu3O7) cooled to Liquid Nitrogen Temps to react with the magnetic field of a rare metal. So I'm wanting to buy all of the stuff to make the demonstration of the cooled superconductor disk going around a magnetic track, but unfortunately these large magnetic tracks are a little over my budget. So I decreased the size of the track to a rare metal ring magnet.

So the question is will a 1/2" YBa2Cu3O7 disk go around (like a race track) this rare metal ring magnet (http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RZ0X84)? Or will it simply hover in the middle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It should. All you want is a uniform field in direction you want the Type II to "glide" and a gradient in direction you want it to be "locked". This magnet has poles on flat ends, so magnetic field is uniform as you go around, but changes as you get closer or further. If you manage to trap magnetic field in the flux tubes of HTSC, it should do exactly what you want. And it should be just a matter of cooling HTSC with LN2, but I've never tried this bit myself, so take it with a grain of salt.

P.S. This would probably better fit in the Atomic/Solid State branch of the forum. I mean, Superconductivity is a quantum effect, but "Quantum Levitation" is a huge misnomer. It'd be like saying, "Quantum Laser." Completely redundant and misleading.

Besides, everything you are going to need to know for this has nothing to do with Quantum Mechanics. I encourage you to see how much of QM side of superconductor physics you can understand, but don't worry if it isn't much. On the other hand, the electromagnetic aspects of it should be entirely within your grasp, perhaps, with some reading.

Last edited:

1. What is quantum levitation?

Quantum levitation is a phenomenon in which an object is able to levitate or float above a surface without any physical contact due to the repulsive forces between the object and the surface.

2. How does quantum levitation work?

Quantum levitation works by utilizing the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the Meissner effect. When a superconductor is cooled below its critical temperature, it expels all magnetic fields from its interior, creating a repulsive force that allows it to levitate above a magnet.

3. What are the applications of quantum levitation?

Quantum levitation has potential applications in transportation, such as creating frictionless trains, as well as in energy storage and medical imaging.

4. Can any object levitate using quantum levitation?

No, only objects made of superconducting materials, such as certain metals or ceramic compounds, can levitate using quantum levitation. These materials must also be cooled to extremely low temperatures in order to exhibit the Meissner effect.

5. Is quantum levitation the same as magnetic levitation?

No, while both involve levitating objects using magnetic forces, they operate on different principles. Magnetic levitation relies on the repulsive forces between two magnets, while quantum levitation utilizes the repulsive forces between a superconductor and a magnet.