What Causes Quantum Locking in Levitation Videos?

• Thread starter rshalloo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the YBCO film on the sapphire disc causes the material to become locked in place in a magnetic field.
rshalloo
I was just wondering if I have the right idea about what's going on in these quantum 'levitation' videos.

So the little discs that zoom around on the track are made up of YBCO film on a super thin sapphire disc. YBCO is a superconductor and so it experiences the Meissner effect, that is that it produces a current within the material to oppose the magnetic field thus essentially expelling it. While it experiences this it is important to remember that YBCO is a type two superconductor so it has thin quantums of flux passing through it (fluxoids). These are areas in which the YBCO has lost its superconducting ability and so its ability to expel a magnetic field. It's these flux tubes which cause the material to become locked in the magnetic field. Due to the Meissner effect the superconductor will create a current to counter the flux in the flux tubes. Once this has happened the material is essentially locked in place as any attempt to move it will result in an opposing force from the superconductor. It is this phenomenon which allows the YBCO to locked in any position i.e tilted, upside-down etc.

My question (aside from do I have the right idea of what's going on) is, what exactly is the role of the sapphire? Is it the sapphire or the YBCO that causes the flux tubes? I've read conflicting reports about which one causes it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sapphire just happens to be a good material to grow YBCO films on (you can also use STO, MgO,LAO, LSAT, MgO and many others), mainly because the YBCO crystal is lattice matched to sapphire.
You don't need to use YBCO grown on a substrate, a piece of bulk YBCO works just as well.

Also, there is nothing "quantum" about this, this is mostly just classical physics.

But surely the Meissner effect and especially superconductivity are quantum effects? There's no classical explanation for them?

rshalloo said:
But surely the Meissner effect and especially superconductivity are quantum effects? There's no classical explanation for them?

True, but then there is no classical explanation for most things in solid state physics; just about everything requires at least some QM.
The Meissner effect can be descrived reasonably well using the 2-fluid model, which is semi-classical.

Ah right, I see what you mean. Thanks very much :)

What is quantum locking?

Quantum locking, also known as quantum pinning, is a phenomenon in which a superconductor is able to levitate above a magnetic field due to the Meissner effect, which causes the expulsion of magnetic flux lines from the interior of the superconductor.

How does quantum locking work?

Quantum locking occurs when a superconductor is cooled below its critical temperature, causing it to lose all electrical resistance. When a superconductor is placed in a magnetic field, it creates a screening current on its surface, which produces a magnetic field that exactly cancels out the external field. This causes the superconductor to become "locked" in place, levitating above the magnetic field.

What are the applications of quantum locking?

Quantum locking has potential applications in fields such as transportation, energy, and medicine. By using quantum locked superconductors, it is possible to create low-friction transport systems, such as maglev trains. It can also be used to improve the efficiency of generators and motors, and to create more sensitive medical imaging tools.

What are the challenges in achieving quantum locking?

One of the main challenges in achieving quantum locking is the need for extremely low temperatures. Superconductors must be cooled to their critical temperature, which can be as low as -273 degrees Celsius, in order to exhibit quantum locking. This requires specialized equipment and can be expensive to maintain.

Are there any potential risks associated with quantum locking?

While quantum locking itself does not pose any risks, the use of superconductors in general can have safety concerns. Superconducting materials can become dangerous when they are exposed to high magnetic fields, as they can produce strong forces that can be harmful to humans and equipment. Proper precautions and safety measures must be taken when working with superconductors and magnetic fields.