Flux pinning in type 2 superconducotrs

• I
  • Thread starter DariusP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux Type
In summary, the conversation discusses whether flux pinning is present in YBCO superconductors, either in a bulk form or in a thin film with a substrate. It is clarified that flux pinning can occur in both forms, with the presence of defects or pinning centers, and that monocrystalline or single-crystal refers to the crystal orientation throughout the material.
DariusP
I'm wondering if for example YBCO superconductor (which is considered type-II superconductor) that exhibits flux pinning effect is a bulk or some substrate with YBCO film on top of it?

I always thought that YBCO which exhibits flux pinning is a bulk in all of demonstration videos but it struck me when someone on youtube (he was not a scientist btw, so he could very well be wrong/uneducated in this field) said that only a substrate with a thin YBCO film can exhibit flux pinning and if it was an YBCO bulk then we would get Meissner effect (complete expulsion of magnetic field lines) and no pinning.

Got me confused. Anyone know how it is for sure?

Physics news on Phys.org
DariusP said:
someone on youtube (he was not a scientist btw, so he could very well be wrong/uneducated in this field) said that only a substrate with a thin YBCO film can exhibit flux pinning and if it was an YBCO bulk then we would get Meissner effect (complete expulsion of magnetic field lines) and no pinning.

I think the guy got this whole thing backwards.
From here: http://shop.can-superconductors.com/index.php?id_product=10&controller=product
it says that
"The disk for Meissner Effect is prepared in a way that the trapped magnetic field is very weak and the Meissner Effect then dominates over the trapped field. Therefore this Y-Ba-Cu-O disk for Meissner Effect demonstration is made of polycrystalline material that shows low critical currents.

On the other hand, the disk for demonstration of strong levitation force (flywheel demo, etc.) is prepared in a way that allows flow of high critical currents and the trapped magnetic field is high and dominates over the Meissner Effect. This is achieved by preparing the Y-Ba-Cu-O disk as a single crystal of high critical currents.
"Monocrystalline means that the bulk exhibiting flux pinning is just YBCO and nothing else, right?

DariusP said:
I'm wondering if for example YBCO superconductor (which is considered type-II superconductor) that exhibits flux pinning effect is a bulk or some substrate with YBCO film on top of it?

I always thought that YBCO which exhibits flux pinning is a bulk in all of demonstration videos but it struck me when someone on youtube (he was not a scientist btw, so he could very well be wrong/uneducated in this field) said that only a substrate with a thin YBCO film can exhibit flux pinning and if it was an YBCO bulk then we would get Meissner effect (complete expulsion of magnetic field lines) and no pinning.

Got me confused. Anyone know how it is for sure?

YBCO does exists without a substrate. One can even grow "large" single-crystal YBCO using floating zone method, and then simply cut off chunks of it. Many experiments have been done on such "chunks".

DariusP said:
I think the guy got this whole thing backwards.
From here: http://shop.can-superconductors.com/index.php?id_product=10&controller=product
it says that
"The disk for Meissner Effect is prepared in a way that the trapped magnetic field is very weak and the Meissner Effect then dominates over the trapped field. Therefore this Y-Ba-Cu-O disk for Meissner Effect demonstration is made of polycrystalline material that shows low critical currents.

On the other hand, the disk for demonstration of strong levitation force (flywheel demo, etc.) is prepared in a way that allows flow of high critical currents and the trapped magnetic field is high and dominates over the Meissner Effect. This is achieved by preparing the Y-Ba-Cu-O disk as a single crystal of high critical currents.
"Monocrystalline means that the bulk exhibiting flux pinning is just YBCO and nothing else, right?

No, monocrystalline or single-crystal of ANYTHING means that the object contains only a single crystal orientation throughout the entire bulk material. A polycrystalline means that it still contains just that material, but with random crystal orientation throughout the bulk material.

Both of these show different and distinct patterns when one performs, say, x-ray diffraction experiments.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
YBCO does exists without a substrate. One can even grow "large" single-crystal YBCO using floating zone method, and then simply cut off chunks of it. Many experiments have been done on such "chunks".

Thanks for your reply, but what I wanted to know was if flux pinning exists in this YBCO "bulk" or only in YBCO thin films+substrate?

It can (and does) exist in either.
The large pieces of YBCO used for demonstration of the Meissner effect tend to have a LOT of defects (they are typically sintered; not single crystals) so flux pinning is fairly obvious.
However, flux pinning is a general property of type II superconductors and you get it in films as well; the pinning centres can be e.g. defects/voids in the film or even corners or constrictions in patterned films.

f95toli said:
It can (and does) exist in either.
The large pieces of YBCO used for demonstration of the Meissner effect tend to have a LOT of defects (they are typically sintered; not single crystals) so flux pinning is fairly obvious.
However, flux pinning is a general property of type II superconductors and you get it in films as well; the pinning centres can be e.g. defects/voids in the film or even corners or constrictions in patterned films.
Could you elaborate on what exactly are these defects/voids? I'm finding these replies really helpful. A lot less confused.

DariusP said:
Could you elaborate on what exactly are these defects/voids? I'm finding these replies really helpful. A lot less confused.

The same thing as in any material. Basically anything that makes the crystal "imperfect". This could be impurities, voids (missing atoms), grain boundaries, changes in chemical composition etc
In real life there is no such thing as a perfect crystal; meaning all materials have pinning centres.

1. What is flux pinning in type 2 superconductors?

Flux pinning is a phenomenon that occurs in type 2 superconductors where magnetic flux lines become trapped or "pinned" in the material, preventing them from moving freely. This can lead to the superconductor being able to maintain its superconducting state in the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How does flux pinning work?

Flux pinning in type 2 superconductors occurs due to the presence of defects or impurities in the material. These defects create regions of normal conductivity within the superconductor, which act as pinning sites for the magnetic flux lines. As a result, the flux lines become trapped and cannot move through the material, allowing the superconductor to maintain its superconducting state.

3. What are the applications of flux pinning in type 2 superconductors?

Flux pinning is a crucial concept in the development of superconducting technologies such as high-field magnets, magnetic levitation systems, and superconducting power transmission lines. It allows for the creation of stable and strong magnetic fields in the presence of a superconducting material.

4. How is flux pinning affected by temperature?

In type 2 superconductors, flux pinning is strongest at low temperatures, as the superconducting state is more stable and the pinning sites are less likely to be disrupted by thermal energy. As the temperature increases, the superconductor becomes less effective at pinning the magnetic flux lines and may eventually lose its superconducting properties.

5. Can flux pinning be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, flux pinning can be controlled and manipulated by altering the type and concentration of defects in the superconducting material. This can be achieved through various techniques such as doping, irradiation, and quenching. By controlling flux pinning, scientists and engineers can design superconductors with specific properties and applications in mind.