Quantum Mechanical systems considered in old QM

In summary: Theoretical ideas were applied to other systems in order to explain them, and those systems were then successfully explained. Some of these systems are the atom, spectral lines and Chemistry.
wizrdofvortex
Hello,

I know that blackbody radiation was one phenomenon whose study contributed to the conceptual development of QM early on. My first question is, what other such systems were considered?
I want to know this because I'm closely following the actual order of development of QM concepts, the way it was historically.

My second query is what systems were these theoretical ideas APPLIED to and successfully explained, in order for them (ideas) to gain acceptance?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Here's a couple of ideas:
Photoelectric effect.
The atom (treatments by Bohr and later Schroedinger); spectral lines and chemistry.
Wave nature of matter: electron diffraction, quantum double slit.
Stern-Gerlach

Einstein's treatment of the specific heat of a crystal lattice.

Thanks... I'll take a look

henry_m said:
Hi,
Here's a couple of ideas:
Photoelectric effect.
The atom (treatments by Bohr and later Schroedinger); spectral lines and chemistry.
Wave nature of matter: electron diffraction, quantum double slit.
Stern-Gerlach

Actually, the original explanation of the Stern-Gerlach experiment in "Old QM theory" was incorrect. They didn't know about electron spin yet, so they thought the unpaired electrons would give silver atoms an orbital angular momentum of 1 ... (in fact, they have an orbital angular momentum of 0). In modern QM, an angular momentum of 1 should interact with a magnetic field gradient to give 3 bands, instead of the two that Stern & Gerlach observed. However, by a lucky coincidence, the Bohr-Sommerfield of angular momentum was ALSO incorrect, and predicted only two bands for an angular momentum of 1. So http://www.ru.nl/publish/pages/555655/3.jpg" for the full story. It took Goudsmit & Uhlenbeck to propose that electrons had an intrinsic angular momentum (spin), before the proper explanation for the original Stern Gerlach experiment was realized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again,

I want to narrow down the question a bit... early on, as part of old QM, various systems would be analyzed via CLASSICAL mechanics, and then some quantization rules/selection rules would be applied to them, thereby obtaining a quantized set of energies, etc.

So any idea as to what these systems were? Of course, hydrogen atom is one example, as shown by Bohr, but I'm curious as to what other systems were considered besides H atom.

FAQ: Quantum Mechanical systems considered in old QM

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It explains the fundamental nature of matter and energy, and how they interact with each other.

2. What is the difference between old and modern Quantum Mechanics?

Old Quantum Mechanics, also known as the Copenhagen interpretation, was developed in the early 20th century and focused on the probabilistic nature of particles. Modern Quantum Mechanics, also known as the many-worlds interpretation, takes into account the concept of parallel universes and multiple possible outcomes for a given event.

3. How are Quantum Mechanical systems considered in old QM?

In old Quantum Mechanics, systems were considered to have discrete energy levels, with particles existing in specific states. These states could change through interactions with other particles or through observation.

4. What are the limitations of old Quantum Mechanics?

Old Quantum Mechanics has several limitations, including the inability to fully explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also does not take into account the concept of entanglement, where particles can be connected and influence each other's behavior regardless of distance.

5. How is old Quantum Mechanics still relevant today?

Despite its limitations, old Quantum Mechanics is still relevant in many applications, such as in the development of technology like transistors and lasers. It also serves as a foundation for modern Quantum Mechanics and continues to be studied and explored by scientists.