Quantum Mechanics by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji

In summary, "Quantum Mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu, and Frank Laloe is a classic book on the subject, with a 1977 English translation edition. The book covers a wide range of topics and includes appendices at the end of each chapter for additional information. While the book is useful for reference, some readers may struggle with the organization of the text. Overall, it is a rigorous text that may require jumping back and forth between sections and appendices to fully understand the basics. However, many readers credit this book for their understanding of quantum mechanics.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This book is interesting. Each chapter has its own 'appendices' where a bunch of extra topics are covered. I think the book series is really useful for those extra sections at the end of each chapter. The main chapter content I found difficult to learn from initially.

Jorriss said:
This book is interesting. Each chapter has its own 'appendices' where a bunch of extra topics are covered. I think the book series is really useful for those extra sections at the end of each chapter. The main chapter content I found difficult to learn from initially.
The book is a classic. I have the 1977 English translation edition, which was brand new at the time. The book first appeared in French in 1973.

Though great as a reference book on many topics, the way these French people organized the text with kilometric, multiple appendices for each chapter is hard to understand. My reccomandation when it comes to long, encyclopedic type of books on QM is to rather own a copy of the 2 volume text by Albert Messiah, than of Claude Cohen-Tannoudji.

My first quantum course used this book, and it is what most people use in my country. After that quantum 2 was a total breeze. It is hard though, and I did have to jump back and forth between sections/appendices to learn the basics, but I probably wouldn't be as skilled in qm if I had studied it from a less rigorous text.

Ridiculously expensive though.

I used it in graduate school, good book, but I am not a fan of the short chapters and a load of appendices after each chapter to introduce items that should be part of the main text.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles such as electrons, protons, and photons, and how they interact with each other and their environment.

2. Who is Claude Cohen-Tannoudji?

Claude Cohen-Tannoudji is a French physicist who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1997 for his work on the development of methods to cool and trap atoms with laser light. He is also known for his contributions to the field of quantum mechanics, specifically in the study of atoms and photons.

3. What are some key concepts in quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in quantum mechanics include superposition, uncertainty principle, wave-particle duality, and entanglement. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at the same time. The uncertainty principle states that there is a limit to how accurately we can know the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Wave-particle duality describes the dual nature of matter and energy, where particles can behave as waves and vice versa. Entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

4. How is quantum mechanics used in technology?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications in technology, including the development of transistors, lasers, and computer chips. It is also used in fields such as cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum teleportation. Additionally, the principles of quantum mechanics are essential for understanding and developing new materials and technologies at the nanoscale.

5. What are some current challenges in quantum mechanics?

One of the current challenges in quantum mechanics is developing a better understanding of the measurement problem, which refers to the paradox of how a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time until it is observed or measured. Another challenge is to develop a unified theory that combines quantum mechanics with general relativity, the theory of gravity. This would help us better understand the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as near black holes.