1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Quantum Mechanics by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji

1. Strongly recommend

62.5%
  2. Lightly recommend

25.0%
  3. Lightly do not recommend

12.5%
  4. Strongly do not recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jan 26, 2013 #1

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2
    This book is interesting. Each chapter has its own 'appendices' where a bunch of extra topics are covered. I think the book series is really useful for those extra sections at the end of each chapter. The main chapter content I found difficult to learn from initially.

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The book is a classic. I have the 1977 English translation edition, which was brand new at the time. The book first appeared in French in 1973.

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Though great as a reference book on many topics, the way these French people organized the text with kilometric, multiple appendices for each chapter is hard to understand. My reccomandation when it comes to long, encyclopedic type of books on QM is to rather own a copy of the 2 volume text by Albert Messiah, than of Claude Cohen-Tannoudji.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5
    My first quantum course used this book, and it is what most people use in my country. After that quantum 2 was a total breeze. It is hard though, and I did have to jump back and forth between sections/appendices to learn the basics, but I probably wouldn't be as skilled in qm if I had studied it from a less rigorous text.

Ridiculously expensive though.

7. Jan 29, 2013 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used it in graduate school, good book, but I am not a fan of the short chapters and a load of appendices after each chapter to introduce items that should be part of the main text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook