Quantum mechanics challenge

In summary, quantum mechanics is the study of the behavior of particles at a small scale. The quantum mechanics challenge is a test designed to push the boundaries of our understanding in this field. Anyone with a background in physics or a strong interest in the subject can participate, and it has a wide range of potential applications such as quantum computing and cryptography. To prepare for the challenge, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basic principles and mathematical concepts involved, as well as practice and studying past challenges.
Fermat1
A tester of basic quantum mechanics:

1) Let the state of a quantum particle be represented by \(\displaystyle \phi\). Show that if \(\displaystyle \phi\) satisfies Schrodinger's equation, then its norm is constant.

2) Now consider a quantum particle with state \(\displaystyle \phi_{t}\) defined on [-a,a] subject to potential V=0.

State the differential equation that \(\displaystyle \phi_{t}\) solves in terms of partial derivatives of x and t.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Partial solution to #1:

We assume $\phi$ satisfies the Schrodinger equation
$$i \hbar \phi_{t}=(- ( \hbar^{2}/2m) \nabla^{2}+V)\phi. \qquad (1)$$
Since $|\phi|^{2}= \phi^{*} \phi$, we seek to show that
$$ \frac{ \partial}{ \partial t}( \phi^{*} \phi)=0.$$
This is tantamount to showing that
$$ \phi \frac{ \partial \phi^{*}}{ \partial t}+ \phi^{*} \frac{ \partial \phi}{ \partial t}=0.$$
Take the complex conjugation of the Schrodinger equation thus:
$$-i \hbar \phi^{*}_{t}=(- ( \hbar^{2}/2m) \nabla^{2}+V)\phi^{*}. \qquad (2)$$
We have assumed that $V$ is real. Multiply $(1)$ by $\phi^{*}$ and $(2)$ by $-\phi$ to obtain:
\begin{align*}
i \hbar \phi^{*} \phi_{t}&=(- ( \hbar^{2}/2m) \phi^{*} \nabla^{2}+ \phi^{*}V)\phi \\
i \hbar \phi \phi^{*}_{t}&=(( \hbar^{2}/2m) \phi \nabla^{2}- \phi V)\phi^{*}.
\end{align*}
Adding these equations together yields
$$i \hbar (\phi^{*} \phi_{t}+ \phi \phi^{*}_{t})=-( \hbar^{2}/2m) \phi^{*} \nabla^{2} \phi+( \hbar^{2}/2m) \phi \nabla^{2} \phi^{*}
= \frac{ \hbar^{2}}{2m}\left( \phi \nabla^{2} \phi^{*} - \phi^{*} \nabla^{2} \phi \right).$$
We have now reduced the problem down to showing that
$$\phi \nabla^{2} \phi^{*} - \phi^{*} \nabla^{2} \phi=0.$$
Let us examine one of these. I claim that $\phi \nabla^{2} \phi^{*}=- \nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi^{*}$; moreover, an analogous line of reasoning will show that $ \phi^{*} \nabla^{2} \phi=- \nabla \phi^{*} \cdot \nabla \phi$. Consider the integral
$$\iiint_{U} \phi^{*} \nabla^{2} \phi \, dV.$$ By Green's First Identity, we know that
$$\iiint_{U} \phi^{*} \nabla^{2} \phi \, dV=- \iiint_{U} \nabla \phi^{*} \cdot \nabla \phi \, dV+ \iint_{ \partial U} \phi^{*}( \nabla \phi \cdot \mathbf{n}) \, dS.$$
This holds for all regions $U$. What I want to say now is that the surface integral has to be zero. However, I'm not sure I can conclude that.

I am at home now; I can post more when I get back to school on Monday.

Question on part 2: are you using the notation
$$\phi_{t}= \frac{ \partial \phi}{ \partial t}?$$

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. What is the purpose of the quantum mechanics challenge?

The quantum mechanics challenge is designed to test our understanding of quantum mechanics and push the boundaries of our knowledge in this field.

3. Who can participate in the quantum mechanics challenge?

The quantum mechanics challenge is open to anyone with a background in physics or a strong interest in the subject. It is often targeted towards students and researchers in the field.

4. What are some potential applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has a wide range of potential applications, including quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of materials and particles at a small scale.

5. How can I prepare for the quantum mechanics challenge?

To prepare for the quantum mechanics challenge, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basic principles of quantum mechanics, as well as mathematical concepts like linear algebra and calculus. Practice problems and studying past challenges can also be helpful in preparing for the challenge.