What are the fundamental equations of Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fundamental quantum mechanics equations and their importance in understanding the phenomenon. The Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is mentioned as an example, but it is not considered a fundamental equation. The Schrodinger equation, on the other hand, is considered a crucial and fundamental equation for accurately describing and understanding quantum mechanics phenomena.
libbon
Im not sure if this belongs in the math department but, i just want to know what are some fundamental quantum mechanics equations that you should know, for example, Heisenberg's is delta x times delta p =h/2, i can't use the real symbols so i just said that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just look at a standard textbook? You won't learn anything from a list of equations.

The Schrodinger equation. If you don't need to worry about relativity, magnetism or the interactions of multiple particles, it's

[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi(\vec{r}, t)}{\partial t} = - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \psi(\vec{r}, t) + V(\vec{r}, t) \psi(\vec{r}, t)[/tex]

libbon said:
Im not sure if this belongs in the math department but, i just want to know what are some fundamental quantum mechanics equations that you should know, for example, Heisenberg's is delta x times delta p =h/2, i can't use the real symbols so i just said that.

I would not consider the HUP's as being "fundamental". It is more of a consequence of what is known as the First Quantization principle, i.e. [A,B], with A and B being observable operators.

The Hamiltonian/Schrodinger equation would be a very good candidate for being a "fundamental equation" for QM. For any phenomenon, the ability to accurately describe it with a Hamiltonian is one of the most crucial aspect of understanding the phenomenon. The other being the ability to either solve, or construct an accurate (or accurate enough) solution to the Hamiltonian.

Zz.

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger and is written in terms of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system.

2. How is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle related to quantum mechanics equations?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute precision. This principle is mathematically represented by the commutation relationship between the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics equations.

3. What is the role of the wave function in quantum mechanics equations?

The wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a physical system. It encodes all the information about the system, including its position, momentum, and energy. In quantum mechanics equations, the wave function is represented by the Greek letter psi (ψ) and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state.

4. How do quantum mechanics equations relate to classical mechanics equations?

Quantum mechanics equations are an extension of classical mechanics equations that are used to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. While classical mechanics equations can accurately predict the behavior of macroscopic objects, quantum mechanics equations are needed to describe the behavior of particles on a subatomic level.

5. What is the significance of the Planck constant in quantum mechanics equations?

The Planck constant is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is represented by the symbol h and has a value of approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule-seconds. The Planck constant is used in many quantum mechanics equations, including the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.