Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Equations

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    Im not sure if this belongs in the math department but, i just want to know what are some fundamental quantum mechanics equations that you should know, for example, Heisenberg's is delta x times delta p =h/2, i can't use the real symbols so i just said that.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you just look at a standard textbook? You wont learn anything from a list of equations.

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    The Schrodinger equation. If you don't need to worry about relativity, magnetism or the interactions of multiple particles, it's

[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi(\vec{r}, t)}{\partial t} = - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \psi(\vec{r}, t) + V(\vec{r}, t) \psi(\vec{r}, t)[/tex]

5. Apr 13, 2010 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I would not consider the HUP's as being "fundamental". It is more of a consequence of what is known as the First Quantization principle, i.e. [A,B], with A and B being observable operators.

The Hamiltonian/Schrodinger equation would be a very good candidate for being a "fundamental equation" for QM. For any phenomenon, the ability to accurately describe it with a Hamiltonian is one of the most crucial aspect of understanding the phenomenon. The other being the ability to either solve, or construct an accurate (or accurate enough) solution to the Hamiltonian.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook