Quantum Mechanics - Question about the Finite Square Well

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question involving boundary conditions and wave functions in an infinite well. The person preparing for an exam has solved parts a and b of the question easily, but is struggling with part c. They consider shifting the boundary conditions, but realize it would not work. They ask for pointers on how to start and eventually figure out the question by modifying the potential. This would result in the same wavefunction for regions 3 and 0 < x < L/2, making the application of the boundary condition at x = L/2 the same as in part b.
rachelph
Hi,

I'm preparing for an exam, and I'm going over past papers. I've solved parts a & b of this question without any problems, however I'm finding it hard to understand part c.

phyqm.png

I thought of shifting the boundary conditions so I'd have 0 and L in the place of ± L/2, but that would not work because the boundary condition to solve the consistency condition requires x = L/2.
Could I get some pointers on where to start? I'm incredibly lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
if [itex] V = 0[/itex] for [itex] x < 0 [/itex] think about where the nodes of the wave function are for an infinite well...

Dr Transport said:
if [itex] V = 0[/itex] for [itex] x < 0 [/itex] think about where the nodes of the wave function are for an infinite well...
Between [itex] x = 0[/itex] and [itex] x = L/2 [/itex]?

draw the wave functions for an infinite well, where does the central node cross the energy line??

Dr Transport said:
draw the wave functions for an infinite well, where does the central node cross the energy line??

Alright, I think I have finally figured out the question.

So, before, I had V = 0 for x < -L/2, V = 0 for x > L/2, and V = -Vo for -L/2 < x < L/2.

If the potential is modified such that x < 0 is V = ∞. I'd still have V = -Vo for 0 < x < L/2. and V = 0 for x > L/2
This means that the wavefunction for region 3 (x > L/2) would still hold the same as in part b, and for 0 < x < L/2 the wavefunction would be the same as in the classically allowed region as in part b. So when I apply the boundary condition at x = L/2 I'm going to get the same consistency condition seen in part b, as required.

What is a finite square well in quantum mechanics?

A finite square well is a potential energy function used to model the behavior of a particle in a confined space. It consists of a finite region where the potential energy is non-zero, surrounded by regions where the potential energy is zero.

How is the finite square well used in quantum mechanics?

The finite square well is used to study the behavior of a particle in a confined space, such as an electron in an atom or a particle in a potential well. It allows for the calculation of the particle's energy levels and the probability of finding the particle in different regions of space.

What are the key features of the finite square well potential?

The key features of the finite square well potential include its finite size, the non-zero potential within the well, and the infinite potential barriers at the boundaries of the well. These features impact the behavior of the particle and its energy levels.

How does the depth and width of the finite square well affect the particle's energy levels?

The depth and width of the finite square well directly affect the particle's energy levels. A deeper well will result in lower energy levels, while a wider well will result in higher energy levels. This is due to the potential energy within the well and the probability of the particle being confined to a smaller or larger region.

What is the Schrödinger equation and how is it used in the finite square well?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of quantum systems. In the finite square well, it is used to calculate the wave function of the particle and the corresponding energy levels. This allows for the prediction of the particle's behavior within the well.