1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics - Question about the Finite Square Well

1. May 1, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I'm preparing for an exam, and I'm going over past papers. I've solved parts a & b of this question without any problems, however I'm finding it hard to understand part c.

phyqm.png

I thought of shifting the boundary conditions so I'd have 0 and L in the place of ± L/2, but that would not work because the boundary condition to solve the consistency condition requires x = L/2.
    Could I get some pointers on where to start? I'm incredibly lost.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

if [itex] V = 0[/itex] for [itex] x < 0 [/itex] think about where the nodes of the wave function are for an infinite well....

4. May 1, 2017 #3
    Between [itex] x = 0[/itex] and [itex] x = L/2 [/itex]?

5. May 1, 2017 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

draw the wave functions for an infinite well, where does the central node cross the energy line??

6. May 2, 2017 #5
    Alright, I think I have finally figured out the question.

So, before, I had V = 0 for x < -L/2, V = 0 for x > L/2, and V = -Vo for -L/2 < x < L/2.

If the potential is modified such that x < 0 is V = ∞. I'd still have V = -Vo for 0 < x < L/2. and V = 0 for x > L/2
    This means that the wavefunction for region 3 (x > L/2) would still hold the same as in part b, and for 0 < x < L/2 the wavefunction would be the same as in the classically allowed region as in part b. So when I apply the boundary condition at x = L/2 I'm going to get the same consistency condition seen in part b, as required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted