How Does Time Periodicity Affect Wavepacket Position in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: that are not explicitly mentioned in the homework statement, but are needed in order to calculate the time dependence of the wavefunction.
Shomy

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to show that whatever superposition of harmonic oscillator states is used to construct wavepacket of the form [tex]\sum[/tex] cv[tex]\Psi[/tex] (x,t) (cv are arbitary complex coefficients), it is at the same place at the times 0, T, 2T,.. where T = 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\omega[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using the position operator on the function and subbing t = 2n [tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\omega[/tex] as the time but i don't really know where to start
PHP:

Physics news on Phys.org
Shomy said:

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to show that whatever superposition of harmonic oscillator states is used to construct wavepacket of the form [tex]\sum[/tex] cv[tex]\Psi[/tex] (x,t) (cv are arbitary complex coefficients), it is at the same place at the times 0, T, 2T,.. where T = 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\omega[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using the position operator on the function and subbing t = 2n [tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\omega[/tex] as the time but i don't really know where to start

WHat is the time dependence of each term in your sum? Consider shifting the time t by [tex] 2 \pi / \omega [/tex] and see what happens.

There was no other information given. What do you mean by shifting the time??

It has been a while for me, but I believe nrged is saying to apply the time-evolution operator,

e^(iHt)
or maybe it was
e^(-iHt)

Have the covered this concept in your class?

Shomy said:
There was no other information given. What do you mean by shifting the time??

First things first. What is the time dependence of the total wavefunction? Psi is a linear combination of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, right? What is the time dependence of each eigenstate? What i sthe time dependence of the total wavefunction? Can you writ edown the total wavefunction, showing explicitly its time dependence?

Then you should simply replace t by t+2 pi/omega in you expression and you should see that the total wavefunction remains unchanged. That's what I meant by "shifting the time".

Redbelly98 said:
It has been a while for me, but I believe nrged is saying to apply the time-evolution operator,

e^(iHt)
or maybe it was
e^(-iHt)

Have the covered this concept in your class?

Well, it could be done this way, yes. But I had something simpler in mind...see my previous post.

nrqed said:
Well, it could be done this way, yes. But I had something simpler in mind...see my previous post.

Okay. I didn't see the necessary e^iwt factors explicitly in the original description, but perhaps they are in Shomy's textbook or class notes description of the H.O. wavefunctions.

Redbelly98 said:
Okay. I didn't see the necessary e^iwt factors explicitly in the original description, but perhaps they are in Shomy's textbook or class notes description of the H.O. wavefunctions.

That's what I wanted him/her to realize: that there are factors [tex] e^{-iE_n t/\hbar} [/tex]

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of microscopic objects. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics operates probabilistically.

3. What are the main principles of quantum mechanics?

The main principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, entanglement, and the uncertainty principle. Superposition states that a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time, while entanglement describes the connection between particles that can affect each other's states instantaneously. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

4. What are some applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including in computing, cryptography, and energy production. For example, quantum computers use the principles of superposition and entanglement to perform calculations much faster than classical computers.

5. Are there any real-world examples of quantum mechanics in action?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of quantum mechanics, such as the functioning of transistors in modern electronics, the behavior of semiconductors in solar panels, and the creation of new materials with unique properties. Additionally, technologies like MRI machines and LED lights rely on quantum mechanics principles.