Quantum optics grad school for a ee major

In summary, for your grad school application, it would be best to contact each school individually to understand their specific requirements and consider reaching out to professors for additional guidance and resources.
Abdul Wadood
I'm a EE major with a senior design project/thesis on developing FPGA based counting module for Photon Coincidence and Correlation Experiments. It's an interesting mix of Electronics, Digital System Design and Experimental Quantum Optics.
I've had a course in QM, and done research internships in Analog Signal Processing and Embedded systems.
I want to carry on studying this blend of QM, Optics, Electronics and DSP in my grad school. I've talked to a couple of people and all of them have advised not to apply to a Physics program, rather to a EE program with a strong optics component, or to an optics program. I've also been looking into Applied Physics programs, the likes of Cornell and Columbia.
I'm in a quandary as to where to apply? Should I contact individual professors and ask them of my prospects? And will applying to Applied Physics programs without taking the Subject test hurt my chances?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance!Your best bet would be to contact each of the schools you’re interested in, and ask them what their requirements are for admission into their program. Many universities have different requirements for different programs, so it’s important to make sure you understand what’s needed for the program you’re interested in. You can also ask about the possibility of taking the subject test for the program you’re interested in, as some schools may waive this requirement for certain students. It is also a good idea to reach out to professors who specialize in the area you’re interested in, to get more insight into the admissions process and to gain access to any resources or guidance they can provide.

1. What is quantum optics and how does it relate to electrical engineering?

Quantum optics is the study of light and its interaction with matter at the quantum level. It is a subfield of quantum physics and has many applications in areas such as telecommunications, computing, and sensing. As an electrical engineering major, studying quantum optics can provide a deeper understanding of how light and matter behave, which can be useful in developing new technologies and devices.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in quantum optics as an electrical engineering major?

Yes, many graduate programs in quantum optics welcome students from diverse backgrounds, including electrical engineering. While a strong foundation in physics and mathematics is important, your background in electrical engineering can bring a unique perspective to the field and make you a valuable contributor to research projects.

3. What are the prerequisites for a quantum optics graduate program?

The specific prerequisites may vary among different universities, but most programs will require a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, engineering, or mathematics. Some programs may also require specific courses in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and optics. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

4. What career opportunities are available for quantum optics graduates with an electrical engineering background?

Graduates with a background in electrical engineering and quantum optics have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, information technology, and defense. They can also pursue research positions in academia or national laboratories. Additionally, the skills and knowledge gained from a quantum optics graduate program can be applied to a variety of other fields, making graduates versatile and in-demand.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a quantum optics graduate program as an electrical engineering major?

A quantum optics graduate program will provide you with a strong foundation in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and optics, as well as advanced topics such as quantum information and quantum computing. You will also gain skills in experimental design and data analysis, which are valuable in both research and industry settings. Additionally, you will develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for any career in science and engineering.