1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum optics grad school for a ee major

Tags:
  1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    I'm a EE major with a senior design project/thesis on developing FPGA based counting module for Photon Coincidence and Correlation Experiments. It's an interesting mix of Electronics, Digital System Design and Experimental Quantum Optics.
    I've had a course in QM, and done research internships in Analog Signal Processing and Embedded systems.
    I want to carry on studying this blend of QM, Optics, Electronics and DSP in my grad school. I've talked to a couple of people and all of them have advised not to apply to a Physics program, rather to a EE program with a strong optics component, or to an optics program. I've also been looking into Applied Physics programs, the likes of Cornell and Columbia.
    I'm in a quandary as to where to apply? Should I contact individual professors and ask them of my prospects? And will applying to Applied Physics programs without taking the Subject test hurt my chances?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted