1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Optics (too much?)

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    I had a discussion with a professor and it was suggested that I take Quantum Optics this coming fall. I already have a full course load with 3 physics classes (Electrodynamics, Modern Physics (general), and math for physicists) and one required course (comparative religions). It was suggested that it might make my undergrad research more understandable. I relayed the information that I have yet to take a "real" QM course, let alone Quantum Optics. "You should be alright." was the response. I dunno though, that seems like a big step. Does anyone have any experience or advice for me? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2
    Oh yeah, the 4 classes WITH undergrad research.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3
    I've always followed professors in their advice and they have to be proven wrong yet. He knows the courseload and if he knows you I would follow his advice.

5. Sep 2, 2012 #4
    If you haven't taken QM before and currently taking Electrodynamics, I don't think it is a good idea at all to jump to a Quantum Optics course right now.

It will be a rough and bumpy ride in my opinion and more of a negative experience.

Also you said it yourself, it was suggested that it "MIGHT" make your undergrad research more understandable.

6. Sep 2, 2012 #5
    Thanks. That's my gut feeling as well. I want to take it but now isn't the time. Thanks for the push in the realistic direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook