Constructing Hamiltonian Matrix from Sz Basis States for Quantum Spin Chains

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of basis states to form operator matrices in the context of quantum spin chains. The Hamiltonian is defined as a sum of spin operators on a chain of N sites, and can be expressed analytically as a sum of two terms. The main issue is how to construct an 8x8 Hamiltonian matrix from the 8 basis states for N=3, and how to calculate the action of spin operators on these basis vectors. One approach is to represent the spin operators as matrices and calculate the action on each basis vector individually. Another approach is to take the tensor product of the matrices, but the former is considered easier. The conversation also mentions alternative methods for reducing the number of calculations needed.
lamikins
Hallo!
My question relates to the use of basis states to form operator matrices...

In the context of quantum spin chains, where the Hamiltonian on a chain of N sites is defined periodically as:H = sumk=0N-1[ S(k) dot S(k+1) ]
(apologies for the notation)​

so there is a sum over k=0 to N-1
S(k) is the spin operator vector acting on the spin at site k
Analytically, I've shown that we can express this as:

H = sumk=0N-1[ Hz + Hf ]

with

Hz = Sz(k)Sz(k+1)
Hf = 1/2[S+(k)S-(k+1) + S-(k)S+(k+1)]
I've been trying to construct a Hamiltonian matrix H from the complete set of states formed by the Sz basis.

For N=3, say, said basis comes out as

Basis States for N = 3

-------------------
1 1 1
this represents the case where spin at each site is up
-------------------
1 1 -1
-------------------
1 -1 1
-------------------
1 -1 -1
-------------------
-1 1 1
-------------------
-1 1 -1
-------------------
-1 -1 1
-------------------
-1 -1 -1
-------------------

Conceptually, then, how are these basis states be used to calculate the Hamiltonian matrix?

How should start to go about inserting a complete set of states and so on... I'm a bit stumped as I haven't done a formal course on Hilbert Space in a while :(

I hope I have delineated the issue clearly, though I rather suspect that I have not!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Still stuck!

I know it should be an 8x8 matrix, since there are 8 basis states and I need to find how the Hamiltonian acts on each individual configuration of spins.

Still I am jammed up on how to form this 8x8 matrix...

They do this in the first article on this page:
http://www.phys.uri.edu/~gerhard/introbethe.html

They don't actually write the matrix out - is that the only bit you're having trouble with?

First you need to know how the S^z, S^+ and S^- act on the up and down spins.

I guess you could represent them as matrices acting on a 2-dimensional vector space,
and S^z = (1/2, 0 \\ 0, -1/2), S^+ = (0, 1\\0,0), S^- = (0,0\\1,0)
with the up-spin as (1,0)^T, the down-spin as (0,1)^T,
though there may be some convention I don't know.
Though you don't really need to if you already know the action.

Then you just go ahead and calculate it for each of the eight basis vectors individually.

The operators S^+(k), etc. act only on the k^th site. So when you calculate the action of
S^+(1)S^-(2) for example you only need to look at the 1st and 2nd positions.

S^+(1)S^-(2) |down ,up ,down> = |S^+.down, S^-.up, down> = |up down down>
etc...

(Apologies for my notation too.) Once you've finished you just write this information up as a matrix with respect to whatever ordering of the basis you like. It should be a fairly long but tedious calculation.

I hope this helps.

Alternatively, I guess you could just take the tensor (Kronecker) product of the matrices and sum this up. But I think it's easier just to calculate the action on basis vectors.

Last edited:

PS: They show you much better ways of doing it in the article, where you choose the basis vectors really carefully so that the number of calculations are reduced.

1. What is a Hamiltonian matrix in the context of quantum spin chains?

A Hamiltonian matrix is a mathematical representation of the energy states and interactions of particles within a quantum spin chain system. It is commonly used to study the behavior and properties of these systems in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Hamiltonian matrix constructed from Sz basis states?

The Hamiltonian matrix is constructed by considering the possible energy states of particles in the quantum spin chain, which are represented by the Sz basis states. The matrix elements are then calculated by taking into account the interactions between neighboring particles.

3. What is the significance of constructing a Hamiltonian matrix from Sz basis states?

Constructing a Hamiltonian matrix from Sz basis states allows for the study and analysis of the energy states and interactions of particles in a quantum spin chain system. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of these systems, which can have applications in various fields such as materials science, condensed matter physics, and quantum computing.

4. What are the challenges in constructing a Hamiltonian matrix from Sz basis states?

One of the main challenges in constructing a Hamiltonian matrix from Sz basis states is accurately representing the complex interactions and dynamics of particles within the quantum spin chain system. This requires careful consideration of various factors such as spin orientations, lattice structures, and external fields.

5. Can the Hamiltonian matrix be used to predict the behavior of quantum spin chains?

Yes, the Hamiltonian matrix can be used to predict the behavior of quantum spin chains by calculating the energy eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors. This can provide information on the stability, excitations, and other properties of the system, which can aid in understanding and controlling its behavior.