Quantum superposition of Coulomb potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the classical description of Coulomb potential associated with charged particles, and the potential's behavior when the particle is in a quantum superposition state. The potential is a single-valued function at every point in space, and the interaction between particles and the potential is represented by the Hamiltonian. However, in non-relativistic quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian only describes the potential in terms of the particle's states, not its own feedback. To fully understand the process of particle interactions and the production of photons, one must go beyond non-relativistic quantum mechanics and use quantum field theory.
zonde
Gold Member
As I understand Coulomb potential associated with charged particle is described classically.
My question is if there is a way how to describe Coulomb potential of charged particle that is in quantum superposition of being "here" and "there"?
My motivation for question is that I am trying to imagine amplification process of microscopic event. In avalanche photodiodes single excited electron interacts with population of other electrons in unstable configuration. I am interested if this process can rule out some viewpoints about QM.

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential is a single-valued function at every point in space. As the wave function of any charged particle is necessarily spread out over some region of space, for any non-constant Coulomb potential, the particle will interact with different values of the potential at the same time. A simple representation of this is an asymmetric potential well, with a particle in a state such that its wave function covers the two wells.

There is nothing unusual about such a situation. It has been studied numerous time, and the only thing "weird" that comes out it, to my knowledge, is tunneling.

DrClaude said:
The potential is a single-valued function at every point in space. As the wave function of any charged particle is necessarily spread out over some region of space, for any non-constant Coulomb potential, the particle will interact with different values of the potential at the same time. A simple representation of this is an asymmetric potential well, with a particle in a state such that its wave function covers the two wells.
Thanks for replay. I think you misunderstood my question. I do not ask how a particle in superposition will interact with Coulomb potential but how it's own charge will contribute to Coulomb potential. Or maybe in interaction you include that contribution as well?

I did misunderstand what you had in mind, but it doesn't change the gist of my answer. When you treat atoms, you have delocalized charges interacting with other delocalized charges, nothing unusual.

zonde said:
Thanks for replay. I think you misunderstood my question. I do not ask how a particle in superposition will interact with Coulomb potential but how it's own charge will contribute to Coulomb potential. Or maybe in interaction you include that contribution as well?

You're talking about nonrelativistic quantum mechanics, right? Well, in that case, the Coulomb potential is part of the Hamiltonian, not the wave function. There is no principle of superposition for Hamiltonians.

If you have a number of particles interacting via the Coulomb potential, then the many-particle Hamiltonian is something like:

[itex]H = (\sum_j - \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m_j} \nabla^2_j) + (\sum_{i < j} \frac{q_i q_j}{r_{ij}})[/itex]

where [itex]\nabla^2_j[/itex] means that we are taking derivatives with respect to the coordinates of the jth particle, and [itex]r_{ij} = |\vec{r_j} - \vec{r_i}|[/itex], and [itex]q_i[/itex] is the charge of the ith particle.

The notion of superposition only comes into play in the states, not the Hamiltonian.

Likes zonde and vanhees71
stevendaryl said:
You're talking about nonrelativistic quantum mechanics, right? Well, in that case, the Coulomb potential is part of the Hamiltonian, not the wave function. There is no principle of superposition for Hamiltonians.

If you have a number of particles interacting via the Coulomb potential, then the many-particle Hamiltonian is something like:

[itex]H = (\sum_j - \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m_j} \nabla^2_j) + (\sum_{i < j} \frac{q_i q_j}{r_{ij}})[/itex]

where [itex]\nabla^2_j[/itex] means that we are taking derivatives with respect to the coordinates of the jth particle, and [itex]r_{ij} = |\vec{r_j} - \vec{r_i}|[/itex], and [itex]q_i[/itex] is the charge of the ith particle.

The notion of superposition only comes into play in the states, not the Hamiltonian.
So with such Hamiltonian changing kinetic energy (that would change [itex]\nabla^2_j[/itex] as I understand) of kth electron might give us irreversible process (avalanche) while leaving it as is (plus free photon somewhere) would leave the process stable (except that photon will fly away).
But to plug Hamiltonian in Schrodinger equation we need single Hamiltonian that describes both processes. So my simplified understanding says that we can use Schrodinger equation only when we can ignore particles own feedback on Hamiltonian (particle in a box) or when it's time independent for the whole Hamiltonian.

But probably I am missing something.

zonde said:
So with such Hamiltonian changing kinetic energy (that would change [itex]\nabla^2_j[/itex] as I understand) of kth electron might give us irreversible process (avalanche) while leaving it as is (plus free photon somewhere) would leave the process stable (except that photon will fly away).
But to plug Hamiltonian in Schrodinger equation we need single Hamiltonian that describes both processes. So my simplified understanding says that we can use Schrodinger equation only when we can ignore particles own feedback on Hamiltonian (particle in a box) or when it's time independent for the whole Hamiltonian.

But probably I am missing something.

Well, to take into account the production of photons, you have to go beyond nonrelativistic quantum mechanics and go to quantum field theory. In quantum field theory, the interactions are again found in the Hamiltonian, but now the Hamiltonian is written in terms of field operators, rather than kinetic and potential energy. Superpositions again are about the state, not the hamiltonian. I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but hopefully it gives context for answering followup questions.

stevendaryl said:
now the Hamiltonian is written in terms of field operators, rather than kinetic and potential energy.
On the level of naive QFT, the quadratic part describing free particles is still the kinetic energy, and the interaction part the potential energy. Only renormalization makes this distinction problematic, and with it the whole concept of particles at finite times.

What is quantum superposition of Coulomb potential?

Quantum superposition of Coulomb potential refers to the phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle or system can exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously. In this case, it refers specifically to the Coulomb potential, which is the electrical potential energy between two charged particles.

How does quantum superposition of Coulomb potential work?

In quantum mechanics, the state of a particle or system is described by a wave function, which contains information about the probabilities of the particle being in different states or positions. When a particle is in superposition, its wave function contains a combination of these different states, resulting in a range of possible positions or energies.

What is the significance of quantum superposition of Coulomb potential?

The concept of superposition is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and has important implications for understanding the behavior of particles on a subatomic level. It also has practical applications in technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography.

Can we observe quantum superposition of Coulomb potential?

Yes, we can observe the effects of quantum superposition through experiments such as the double-slit experiment, where a particle exhibits wave-like behavior and passes through both slits simultaneously. However, directly observing a particle in superposition is difficult due to the delicate nature of quantum systems.

How does quantum superposition of Coulomb potential differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, particles are described as having definite positions and energies, while in quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously. Additionally, classical physics does not account for the wave-like behavior of particles and the concept of superposition.