Quantum Theory makes me go crazy

In summary, the wavelength of light having a frequency of 8.6 x 10^13 Hz has a wavelength of 566nm. The frequency of light having a wavelength of 566nm has a frequency of 8.6 x 10^13 Hz.
President Mercury

I am in a General Chemistry class but we are on the chapter: Quantum Theory and Electronic Structure of Atoms. I do not understand my teacher and want some kind of real human being to explain to me how to find an answer to the question I'm going to give. Please do not think that I'm cheating on homework or anything, I want to know how and why the answer is what it is not just a quick answer.

Here is the question: What is the wavelength (in nanometers) of light having a frequency of 8.6 x 10^13 Hz? What is the frequency (in Hz) of light having a wavelength of 566nm?

Thanks to anyone who can help (or give me a joke to laugh at) :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
How do speed, wavelength, and frequency relate for any wave? (Hint: Consider the units of each.) What's the speed of light?

Do you know the equation which relates the frequency and wavelength of a wave through its velocity of propagation?

[itex] \nu \lambda = c [/itex]

- Warren

the answer above is right

maybe the threadstarter want to know why is the equation [itex] \nu \lambda = c [/itex] ?

fujiwara_sai said:
maybe the threadstarter want to know why is the equation [itex] \nu \lambda = c [/itex] ?
I believe that was Doc Al's point.

So, a priest, mininster, and a rabbi may have walked into a bar...

I understand what Doc Al and Chroot are both getting at. So after using the equation that was given by Chroot I should convert the answer into nanometers?

If they want the wavelength in nanometers, give them nanometers!

1 nm = [tex]10^{-9}[/tex] m

Hurkyl said:
So, a priest, mininster, and a rabbi may have walked into a bar...

Ha! They MAY have walked into a bar? Did they or didn't they?

Doc Al said:
If they want the wavelength in nanometers, give them nanometers!

1 nm = [tex]10^{-9}[/tex] m

Thank you! I shall give them nanometers!

...nanometers that destroy:devil:

No but seriously thank you o:)

Related to Quantum Theory makes me go crazy

What is quantum theory?

Quantum theory is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy on a subatomic level. It describes the fundamental particles that make up the universe and their interactions.

Why does quantum theory seem so confusing?

Quantum theory challenges our common sense understanding of the world because it deals with particles and forces that are too small to be seen with the naked eye. Its principles, such as superposition and entanglement, can seem counterintuitive and difficult to grasp.

What are some real-world applications of quantum theory?

Quantum theory has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as cryptography and quantum computing.

Is quantum theory proven to be true?

Quantum theory is supported by a vast amount of evidence from experiments and observations. However, it is still an ongoing area of research and there are some aspects that are still being debated and explored by scientists.

How can I better understand quantum theory?

Learning about quantum theory requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. There are also many popular science books and videos that explain the concepts in a more accessible way. It is important to approach quantum theory with an open mind and to be willing to challenge your preconceived notions about the nature of reality.