Quartic with complex coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a fourth order polynomial with both real and complex coefficients using Ferrari's method. The person has already derived a messy solution for real coefficients and is unsure if the same method can be used for complex coefficients. They are seeking suggestions and clarification on classifying the roots in terms of the parameters and whether all solutions will be complex if Im(p) is not equal to zero.
ab959
I am trying to solve a fourth order polynomial which is in the following form

[tex]x^4+Ax^3+(B_1+B_2p)x^2-(C+Ap)x+D+Ep=0[/tex]

Where [tex]A[/tex], [tex]B_1[/tex], [tex]B_2[/tex], [tex]C[/tex], [tex]D[/tex], [tex]E[/tex], are real parameters and p is a complex parameter.

I have investigated many ways of solving this equation however there does not seem to be much information regarding complex coefficients. My solution is very messy for real coefficients but it still exists and I derived it using Ferrari's method. I am not sure if I can use this method in the case where p is complex.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Ferrari's method works for both real and comples coefficients.

OK great thanks I realized this soon after I posted. What I am more interested in knowing is if you classify the roots in terms of the parameters. I.e. knowing when there will be 4 real roots or complex roots etc. My intuition tells me however that if Im(p) not equal to zero then all solutions will be complex. This is possible for real coefficients however I don't know if this can be done for complex coefficients.

1. What is a quartic with complex coefficients?

A quartic with complex coefficients is a polynomial function with a degree of four where the coefficients are complex numbers. This means that the polynomial has four terms, each with a variable raised to a power, and the coefficients of those terms are complex numbers, which consist of a real and imaginary part.

2. How is a quartic with complex coefficients different from a quartic with real coefficients?

A quartic with complex coefficients is different from a quartic with real coefficients because the coefficients in a quartic with complex coefficients can have both real and imaginary components, while the coefficients in a quartic with real coefficients can only have real numbers. This means that the solutions to a quartic with complex coefficients can include complex numbers, while the solutions to a quartic with real coefficients will only consist of real numbers.

3. How do you solve a quartic with complex coefficients?

Solving a quartic with complex coefficients involves using complex numbers and the quadratic formula to find the roots of the polynomial. The quadratic formula is used because a quartic with complex coefficients can be factored into two quadratic equations, which can then be solved using the quadratic formula. The solutions to a quartic with complex coefficients will be complex numbers.

4. What are the applications of quartics with complex coefficients?

Quartics with complex coefficients can be used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in electrical engineering, signal processing, and fluid dynamics. They can also be used to model complex physical systems and phenomena, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetic waves.

5. Are there any real-world examples of quartics with complex coefficients?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of quartics with complex coefficients. One example is the Schrödinger equation, which is used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a quantum system. Another example is the Riemann zeta function, which is used in number theory to study the distribution of prime numbers. Both of these equations involve quartics with complex coefficients.