Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorzing polynomials with complex coefficients

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    Not sure if this is the right place to post (but its related to a complex analysis questions)

I'm doing a past paper for my revision and am stuck at the first hurdle. I simply cannot factor this polynomial in z for the life of me. I've tried completing the square and the usual quadratic formula but do not get the answer as given.

I know what the answers are supposed to be so if anyone could help walk me through how you get there and if there is a technique of generally doing so I'd be most grateful.

[tex] z^2-(2i+4)z + 8i = (z-4)(z+2i) [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you show us how you tried doing the quadratic formula? Because it should work

4. May 18, 2013 #3
    I can:

[tex] z1,z2= \frac{(2i+4) \pm \sqrt{(2i+4)^2-(4)(1)(8i)}}{(2)(1)}[/tex]
    this simplifies to:
    [tex]z1,z2 = (i+2) \pm \sqrt{3-4i}[/tex]

Which isn't what I need...

Do you get the solutions z = 4 and z = 2i?

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  5. May 18, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You did get those numbers. Do you know what the square root of 3-4i is?

6. May 18, 2013 #5
    Hi Shredder - No I didn't know how to take the sqrt of a complex number... but I do now. Thanks for pointing this out - I looked it up and am happy with dealing with these now. Your help is much appreciated!

Felix

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook