Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Cramer's rule to solve linear equations with complex coefficients?

1. Dec 24, 2006 #1
    Howdy,

I got down Cramer's rule down fine, now I need to extend it to include equations that have complex coefficients. Do I let each matrix entry be something like, "5 + 2i" or is there something more than that?

For example,

say we have

(2+3i)x + (5+3i)y + (9-6i)z = 10 + i
    (4+3i)x + (5-3i)y + (9-6i)z = 5 + i
    (6+2i)x + (4+3i)y + (5+6i)z = 10 + 2i

Perhaps I let each entry be just the coefficient infront of x, y and z?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

You got it: it's that simple. Just put complex numbers as elements of the determiniants you calculate for Cramer's rule.

4. Dec 27, 2006 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

here is cramers rule: if A is a square matrix with entries in any commutative ring, not necesarily a field, and if adj(A) is its "adjoint matrix" (whose (j,i) entry is (-1)^(i+j) times the determinant of the matrix obtained from A by deleting the ith row and jth column of A),
    then adj(A).A = A.adj(A) = d.I, where d is he determinant of A, and I is the identity matrix.

as a corollary, if d is invertible, then a solution of the vector equation Av=w, is v = d^(-1)adj.A.w.

for example the entries can be complex numbers. or polynomials with entries in a field. or integers.

5. Dec 28, 2006 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

as a corollary, although not every equation can be solved, you can always solve, if not for a v that gives you w, at least for a v that gives you dw, where d = detA.

e.g. if the 2x2 matrix has rows [ 2 3], [3, 1], then d = 2.1 - 3.3 = -7.

thus adjA is the matrix with rows [ 1 -3], [ -3 2]. then A.adjA = [-7 0], [0 -7]. so given AX = w, if we set X = adjA.w, at least we get AX = dw.

i.e. if w = [1 1], and we set X =[-2 -1], then A.w = [-7 -7], instead of [1 1].

so at least you can solv e for some vector on the line joining w to the origin, although some times this only gives [0 0].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?