Qubits: Can We Store Information Again After Read?

In summary: No, normalization does not rule out entanglement. Normalization just converts from the complex wave function to the real wave function.
bzt
Hello everyone!

I'm having trouble understanding a specific aspect of qubits, maybe someone among you clever guys can help me.

I understand that a qubit is in superposition, we can store information (a quantum property equivalent of true or false) in it. I also understand that reading that information leads to the collapse of the wave function, so subsequent read is not possible.
1. set(true)
2. read() = true
3. read() = ?

But can we use that qubit again? I mean can we restore the superposition and store another information in it after a read?
1. set(true)
2. read() = true
3. set(true)
4. read() = true?

In other words is it possible to store information again on the same qubit, or that would be a totally independent qubit superposition with different wave function?

Sorry if my question does not make sense, I'm not a physicist, just a programmer.
bzt

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but you will have erased the information from the 1st superposition, so no. You could maybe freeze the superposition as a third qbit number, but that would be very tricky in practice. You only get one (true or false), every time. Once it has been 're-entangled', with a magnet, such as in a spin liquid experiment, as far as I know, only has one 'random' spin choice, with a true (don't read the information) or false ( read the information and collapse the wave function). What AI computing is doing in Qbit spin memory is two tasks, 'not reading the information/spin' (keeping useful information) or 'reading the information' (getting rid of un-useful and bad information by collapsing the wave function). Or vice versa, depending on your program modeling.
There is though, another snazzy technique that uses polarization logic gates and use 4 or 8 variations per q bit. put those pieces of information on a 'card' of let's say 144 qbits and by inter tangling those card numbers can create huge orders of processing, but the math is insanely difficult to program those number combinations into functions.

Here is a Perimeter Institue lecture on the 4 atom amplitude technique. From one of the most prestigious quantum computing experts.

Thank you very much for your answer!
So is it possible to keep (or re-establish) the entanglement after a read? I mean what if we have 2 qbits entangled at start? Would the 2nd superposition keep that spooky effect from the 1st superposition or it's erased along with the information?

1. set(q1, true) (this would also set the spin of q2)
2. read(q2) = true
3. set(q1, true)
4. read(q2) = true?

Or would q1 and q2 became independent after step 2? Hope my question makes sense :-)

bzt

The Born rule applies to measurement of Qbits, so in your first example in number three, where you have a question mark, that would read true as would any subsequent measurement.

Thank you!

I've followed your lead, read about the role. That yield to another (hopefully final) question :-) Is it possible to have q1 and q2 entangled when the wave function is normalized? Or does normalization rule that out and give only one qbit per wave function?

bzt

Related to Qubits: Can We Store Information Again After Read?

What are qubits?

Qubits, short for quantum bits, are the basic unit of quantum information in a quantum computer. They are the quantum equivalent to classical bits in traditional computers.

How do qubits store information?

Unlike classical bits which can only hold a value of 0 or 1, qubits can exist in a superposition of both states at the same time. This allows them to store much more information than classical bits.

Can we read qubits without destroying the information stored in them?

Yes, it is possible to read qubits without destroying the information stored in them. This is achieved through a process called quantum state tomography, which allows us to measure the state of a qubit without changing it.

Can we store information again after reading a qubit?

Yes, it is possible to store information again after reading a qubit. This is because qubits can be reset back to their original state after being read, allowing them to hold new information.

What challenges do we face in storing information in qubits?

One of the main challenges in storing information in qubits is maintaining their fragile quantum state. The slightest disturbance or error can cause the qubit to lose its information, making it difficult to scale up quantum computers for practical use.