Query on electrochemistry: Vectorial charge transfer meaning

In summary, "vectorial electron transfer" is a term used in electrochemistry to refer to charge transfer occurring through a specific interface, such as between molecules or particles. It is often associated with the quantum confinement phenomenon and has been used in various research studies, including photo-electrocatalysis using materials such as TiO2 nanotube arrays.
MarcoUscanga01
TL;DR Summary
When talking about electrochemistry what is the difference between saying "electron transfer" and "vectorial electron transfer". It seems to me that "vectorial electron transfer" is just another fancy way of saying "electron transfer" but I am not quite sure if there is a kind of special meaning to it.
Hello guys!

When talking about electrochemistry what is the difference between saying "electron transfer" and "vectorial electron transfer". It seems to me that "vectorial electron transfer" is just another fancy way of saying "electron transfer" but I am not quite sure if there is a kind of special meaning to it.

My doubt comes from this part of a scientific article:

In addition, the doping process coupled to a nanostructuredmaterial has improved the interest of this material in photo-electrocatalysis, due to improvement in the active surface area(reaction/interaction can be facilitated between the catalyst andthe interacting media) and excellent electric properties, once thecharges carriers transfer is mainly governed by the quantum con-finement phenomenon [20]. For this purpose TiO2nanotube arrays(TiO2NTs) have shown high structural organization and excellentelectron percolation based on vectorial charge transfer between interfaces

2014 Enhanced photoelectrocatalytic degradation of an acid dye withboron-doped TiO2nanotube anodes

Best

Marco

Chemistry news on Phys.org
An answer from a non-expert like myself: Did you read or skim ref [20]? "quantum confinement phenomenon" seems like the operative phrase just from context. Could be channeling along crystal axis? Just a wild guess.

I'm not an expert here neither, but as far as I can see from various sources, it seems to mean charge transfer occurring through a certain interface (molecule-to-molecule, particle-to-particle, grain-to-grain, wall-to-wall, etc.).

I am a bit knowledgeable in charge transfers due to the nature of my research, but I have never heard of the term"vectorial charge transfer". The term "vectorial charge transfer" does seem like a legitimate term since quick google scholar search shows that the first usage was in 1979, and has been used for quite some time.

1. What is vectorial charge transfer in electrochemistry?

Vectorial charge transfer refers to the movement of charged particles (electrons or ions) through a medium, such as an electrolyte solution, in a specific direction. This direction is determined by the electric field present in the system.

2. How is vectorial charge transfer different from regular charge transfer?

Regular charge transfer involves the movement of charged particles from one location to another, without a specific direction. Vectorial charge transfer, on the other hand, is directed by the electric field and can occur in a specific direction.

3. What are some examples of vectorial charge transfer in electrochemistry?

One example is the movement of electrons through a wire in an electrochemical cell, directed by the electric field between the anode and cathode. Another example is the movement of ions through an ion-selective membrane in a fuel cell.

4. How is vectorial charge transfer related to the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation describes the relationship between the concentration of ions in a solution and the potential difference across the cell. Vectorial charge transfer is important in this equation because it determines the direction of ion movement and therefore, the direction of the potential difference.

5. What are some applications of vectorial charge transfer in electrochemistry?

Vectorial charge transfer is essential in many electrochemical processes, such as batteries, fuel cells, and corrosion protection. It is also crucial in biological systems, where it plays a role in nerve impulses and muscle contractions.

Back