Question about a Carl Zeiss lens

• Thread starter FocusedWolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, a Carl Zeiss lens is a high-quality, precision-made lens that is known for its exceptional clarity and sharpness. It is a popular choice among professional photographers and is often used in high-end cameras. The lenses are made with advanced technology and go through rigorous testing to ensure optimal performance. They are known for their durability and ability to capture stunning images with minimal distortion. The brand offers a wide range of lenses for various camera models and purposes, making it a top choice for many photographers.
FocusedWolf
Ok so this really has nothing to do with astronomy, besides the use of lens,... but it is a lens question so here goes :P (moderators may move this if their's a more appropriate place for it)

Information printed on the lens: "Carl Zeiss Tessar 2.0/3.7 2MP Autofocus".

This is from a Logitech webcam that my team might be using for our college senior project.

I'm trying to determine as much information as possible about this lens... because knowing the field of view for this lens at different distances is critical for our project. So anything and everything about "Tessar 2.0/3.7" i need to know.

from this webpage, i found a partial explanation of what those numbers sort of indicate: http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/Contents-Frame/62CB515DD162CAA8C125731D004AC1B7
"They feature a Tessar 3.7 mm, f2.0 autofocus lens that has been optimized for a resolution of 2 megapixels, thus enabling outstanding detail rendition and clarity."

so, I'm guessing here:

3.7 mm lens diameter?

"f2.0" so focal length = 2.0 mm?

And if you can point me to some webpage that has formulas for calculating other useful information about lens' in general, then that would be most helpful :P

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
f2.0 is the focal ratio (unitless). Obtained by dividing the focal length by the diameter of the lens. 3.7mm is the lens diameter. At f 2.0, the focal length is equal to 7.4 mm.

2.0 is aperture (that's more or less the same thing as focal ratio, just this name is used more often).

Huh?

From wiki:

In optics, the f-number (sometimes called focal ratio, f-ratio, or relative aperture[1]) of an optical system expresses the diameter of the entrance pupil in terms of the focal length of the lens; in simpler terms, the f-number is the focal length divided by the "effective" aperture diameter. It is a dimensionless number that is a quantitative measure of lens speed, an important concept in photography.

Aperture is a term that you will find in every camera manual, I don't remember seeing focal ratio used in such places.

So we are both agreed that the f ratio is not the aperture itself but is the ratio of the focal length to the lens diameter (or at least the entrance pupil)?

I see your point, sorry - I am translating directly from Polish in my head, and there is no distinction between aperture and relative aperture (f ratio) in Polish terminology.

3.7 mm is a focal length of this lens. F 2.0 is maximum apperture. Field of view depends of size of film, or in this case cmos or ccd detector. Rule of thumb is that if diagonal of detector is equal to focal length of lens, you will get, what is considered as "normal" angle of view, which coresponds to angle humans have with their vision.
In order to calculate exact angle of view, both horizontal an vertical, you have to know both focal length an exact dimensions of detector you are using.

Hmmm. If 3.7 mm refers to the focal length, at f2.0 the entrance pupil would be 1.85 mm diameter. It could be that an entrance pupil this small is used but it looks bigger than that. I'm not convinced.

chemisttree said:
Hmmm. If 3.7 mm refers to the focal length, at f2.0 the entrance pupil would be 1.85 mm diameter. It could be that an entrance pupil this small is used but it looks bigger than that. I'm not convinced.
Seems about right for a webcam. They're not much more than a mm or two from what I've seen.

You should never consider diametar of lens. If good people from Carl Zeiss say it is 3.7 mm, F2.0 then it is so. Diametar of lens never exactly coresponds to focal length - maximum apperture ratio, because it also depends on losses which are different for every lens. It is not telescope mirror.
To OP- if you describe your setup more precisely maybe we will be able to help you furthermore.

S.Vasojevic said:
You should never consider diametar of lens. If good people from Carl Zeiss say it is 3.7 mm, F2.0 then it is so.

Yes, photographic lenses are described by focal length and focal ratio, not diameter. You're convincing me...

S.Vasojevic said:
3.7 mm is a focal length of this lens. F 2.0 is maximum apperture. Field of view depends of size of film, or in this case cmos or ccd detector. Rule of thumb is that if diagonal of detector is equal to focal length of lens, you will get, what is considered as "normal" angle of view, which coresponds to angle humans have with their vision.
In order to calculate exact angle of view, both horizontal an vertical, you have to know both focal length an exact dimensions of detector you are using.

I'm trying to dig up information on the CMOS sensor.

This is what i have so far:

-- http://forums.quickcamteam.net/showthread.php?tid=265
The QuickCam Pro 9000 has a CMOS-sensor with a resolution of 1600x1200 and its size is 6mm x 4mm (I meassured it). [trying to confirm this persons information].

-- http://forums.quickcamteam.net/showthread.php?tid=107
Sony ClearVid sensor is possibly the CMOS-sensor used in this webcam. If i can find it's specifications then maybe it will indicate it's dimensions for comparison to what that one person measured.

-- From someone on the "QuickCam Team": http://forums.quickcamteam.net/showthread.php?tid=107
"I've talked to one of our optical engineers and I was told that our lab tests confirmed the following values: DFoV = 75° and EFL = 3.7 mm."

Last edited by a moderator:
FocusedWolf said:
-- http://forums.quickcamteam.net/showthread.php?tid=265
The QuickCam Pro 9000 has a CMOS-sensor with a resolution of 1600x1200 and its size is 6mm x 4mm (I meassured it).

Thing is that you will have to know active area of cmos, which is not always easy to measure. It is best to find factory specs, then you can go to:
http://imaginatorium.org/stuff/angle.htm"

and easily calculate angles.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Carl Zeiss lens?

A Carl Zeiss lens is a high-quality camera lens manufactured by the German company Carl Zeiss AG. They are known for producing lenses with exceptional sharpness, clarity, and color reproduction.

2. Are Carl Zeiss lenses worth the price?

Many photographers and professionals believe that Carl Zeiss lenses are worth the price due to their superior optical performance and durability. However, it ultimately depends on individual preferences and needs.

3. What makes Carl Zeiss lenses different from other lenses?

Carl Zeiss lenses are known for their advanced optics and precision engineering. They use high-quality materials and advanced manufacturing techniques to produce lenses with exceptional image quality and durability.

4. What type of cameras are compatible with Carl Zeiss lenses?

Carl Zeiss lenses are compatible with a wide range of cameras, including DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, and even some smartphones. They offer different mounts for different camera brands and models.

5. How do I take care of my Carl Zeiss lens?

To ensure your Carl Zeiss lens maintains its high quality, it is important to clean it regularly with a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials. Also, make sure to store it in a clean and dry place when not in use.