Question about Big-O functions.

• Thread starter reef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, Preno's approach is equally valid, but I suspect that you haven't seen (or aren't allowed to use) this criterion.
reef
I'm not really sure which section to post this in. I'm having trouble establishing witnesses for big-O functions. Basically I'm wondering if you are looking to solve the inequality for the lowest possible value of k, such that x > k.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Eg. Determine whether f(x) is O(x^2) given the function f(x)=17*x+11.
|f(x)|<=C*|g(x)| where x>k.
|(17*x+11)|
=17*x+11
<=17*x+x where x>11
=18*x
<=x^2 where x>18
Therefore, f(x) is O(x^2) with witnesses C=1 and k=18.

My friend from class tells me that there are multiple correct solutions, but the answer given to me by my instructor is as follows:

|f(x)|<=17*x^2+11*x^2 where x>1
=28*x^2
Therefore, f(x) is O(x^2) with witnesses C=28 and K=1.

Any help/insight would be appreciated. This isn't a homework thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you just say that [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{f(x)}{x^2} = 0[/itex]?

Both answers are correct. It doesn't matter at all how sharp your estimates are. That's the point of big-O-notation: you only care about some limiting behaviour.

Preno's approach is equally valid, but I suspect that you haven't seen (or aren't allowed to use) this criterion.

reef said:
I'm not really sure which section to post this in. I'm having trouble establishing witnesses for big-O functions. Basically I'm wondering if you are looking to solve the inequality for the lowest possible value of k, such that x > k.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Eg. Determine whether f(x) is O(x^2) given the function f(x)=17*x+11.
|f(x)|<=C*|g(x)| where x>k.
|(17*x+11)|
=17*x+11
<=17*x+x where x>11
=18*x
<=x^2 where x>18
Therefore, f(x) is O(x^2) with witnesses C=1 and k=18.
Well, the problem is that [itex]f(x)= 17x+ 11[/itex] is NOT O(x^2). It is "[itex]o(x^2)[/itex]" ("little o") which is what |17x+11|<= x^2 shows. But for "big O", you must also find k and C such that |x^2|<= C|17x+ 11| for x> k and that is impossible.

My friend from class tells me that there are multiple correct solutions, but the answer given to me by my instructor is as follows:

|f(x)|<=17*x^2+11*x^2 where x>1
=28*x^2
Therefore, f(x) is O(x^2) with witnesses C=28 and K=1.

Any help/insight would be appreciated. This isn't a homework thread.
Roughly speaking, to say that f(x)= O(g(x)) (as x goes to infinity) means that f and g have the same behaviour as x goes to infinity. And that can be determined by looking at
[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]
as Preno suggests.

If
[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x}}= 0[/tex]
so that "f(x) goes to 0 faster than g(x)",
which is the case with [itex]f(x)= 17x+ 11[/itex] and [itex]g(x)= x^2[/itex], then f(x)= o(g(x)).

If that limit is some finite but non-zero number, so that "f(x) and g(x) go to 0 at the same rate", then f(x)= O(g(x)).

HallsofIvy said:
Well, the problem is that [itex]f(x)= 17x+ 11[/itex] is NOT O(x^2). It is "[itex]o(x^2)[/itex]" ("little o") which is what |17x+11|<= x^2 shows. But for "big O", you must also find k and C such that |x^2|<= C|17x+ 11| for x> k and that is impossible.
I don't have much experience with these little and big O things, but it seems you are using a different definition than the one on wikipedia.

It says: f(x)= O(g(x)) as x->\infty iff there exists a K>0 and x0 such that |f(x)|\leq K|x^2| for all x>x0.

So you just have to find ONE K>0 such that this holds, while for little-o you must do this for EVERY K>0. So according to this definition it seems that certainly f(x)=O(x^2).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I've done quite a few exercises since I posted this and I think I've got it. In response to HallsofIvy, you're thinking of big-Omega which is defined as you said. There are three different types of these functions.

Big-O: f(x) is O(g(x)) if |f(x)|<=C*|g(x)| where x>k.

Big-Omega: f(x) is Ω(g(x)) if |f(x)|>=C*|g(x)| where x>k.

Big-Theta: f(x) is Θ(g(x)), if f(x) is O(g(x)) and g(x) is O(f(x)). Here you choose x>max(k1,k2).

I wish I knew how to type quantifiers and subscripts and what not. :P

1. What is a Big-O function?

A Big-O function is a mathematical representation of the time or space complexity of an algorithm. It describes how the time or space required for the algorithm to run grows relative to the size of the input data.

2. Why do we use Big-O functions?

Big-O functions allow us to analyze and compare the efficiency of different algorithms. They help us understand how the algorithm will perform as the input data size increases, and can guide us in choosing the most efficient algorithm for a given problem.

3. How do you calculate the Big-O notation of an algorithm?

To calculate the Big-O notation of an algorithm, you need to analyze the number of operations performed as the input data size increases. The highest order term in the resulting expression represents the Big-O notation of the algorithm.

4. What is the difference between O(1) and O(n)?

O(1) (constant time) means that the algorithm will always take the same amount of time, regardless of the input data size. O(n) (linear time) means that the time required for the algorithm to run will increase linearly as the input data size increases.

5. Can Big-O notation be used to measure space complexity as well?

Yes, Big-O notation can be used for both time and space complexity. The analysis is similar, but instead of counting operations, you count the amount of memory or space required for the algorithm to run as the input data size increases.