Unraveling the Mystery of Dark Matter and Its Relationship with Black Holes

In summary: This is also why for the longest time it was not clear whether dark matter was primarily composed of baryons or not.In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of black holes and dark matter on the rotational curves of galaxies. While black holes have a strong gravitational pull, they do not continuously consume dark matter. Dark matter does interact gravitationally with other matter, but not electromagnetically, which is why it is referred to as "dark." Dark matter is not concentrated at the center of galaxies, but rather forms a diffuse halo around and within them. This has led to uncertainty about whether dark matter is primarily composed of baryons.
stunner5000pt
Hello everyone

if black holes have a gravitational pull so strong that nothing can escape, then why is it that they do not continuously consume dark matter? Yes i know its called dark matter because it doesn't not interact with other matter but it does have an effect on the rotational curves of galaxies for example. In this case the dark matter is contained within the galaxy rather than some kind of an ether theory. Would that not imply that dark matter is affected by gravity? Wouldnt that also imply that dark matter would feed a blakc hole located at the center of a galaxy, for example?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
Would that not imply that dark matter is affected by gravity?

The whole point of dark matter is that it DOES interact gravitationally with all other matter. This is the reason why it affects the rotation curves of galaxies. It simply does not interact electromagnetically (i.e. with light), hence, why we call it dark.

stunner5000pt said:
Hello everyone

if black holes have a gravitational pull so strong that nothing can escape...

Also, you may misunderstand what black holes do. They do not suck matter in like a giant vacuum cleaner. A black hole of mass X has no greater effect on matter at a distance than a star of mass X. i.e. if the sun were magically replaced by a black hole of the same mass, we would not notice here on Earth.

stunner5000pt said:
Hello everyone

if black holes have a gravitational pull so strong that nothing can escape, then why is it that they do not continuously consume dark matter? Yes i know its called dark matter because it doesn't not interact with other matter but it does have an effect on the rotational curves of galaxies for example. In this case the dark matter is contained within the galaxy rather than some kind of an ether theory. Would that not imply that dark matter is affected by gravity? Wouldnt that also imply that dark matter would feed a blakc hole located at the center of a galaxy, for example?

Just to add what the gentlemen before me mentioned,it's not like a black hole keeps on taking in matter,we all know that it depends on their size(the event horizon being the boundary).Some stay for quite a long period others evaporate very quickly. About a month ago I read an article in which the conclusion they had come up with was that there is no direct correlation between the center of galaxies(Supermassive black holes) and dark matter which was initially assumed to be.

I believe you have misunderstood the whole rotational velocities of the galaxies against the center phenomenon.One of the ways in which we assume hypothetically the presence of DM is by studying the observed and our expected values of the rotational velocities of the galaxy cluster (elliptical ones I assume).What we notice is that at close to the center of the galaxy there isn't much deviation between our observed and expected values but as we go further from the center we surprisingly note that the observed curve has a fairly constant velocity (implying dark matter).We would expect the velocity to decrease by r^-1/2.
So you see dark matter isn't concentrated at the center.Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Regards,
ibysaiyan

ibysaiyan said:
Just to add what the gentlemen before me mentioned,it's not like a black hole keeps on taking in matter,we all know that it depends on their size(the event horizon being the boundary).Some stay for quite a long period others evaporate very quickly.

Hawking radiation isn't really an issue on astronomical scales, since temperature and power of emission scale with inverse mass and mass squared, respectively. Even light astronomical black holes already exist in the range of solar masses, so the radiation is almost nonexistant (which makes it hard to detect).

ibysaiyan said:
I believe you have misunderstood the whole rotational velocities of the galaxies against the center phenomenon.One of the ways in which we assume hypothetically the presence of DM is by studying the observed and our expected values of the rotational velocities of the galaxy cluster (elliptical ones I assume).What we notice is that at close to the center of the galaxy there isn't much deviation between our observed and expected values but as we go further from the center we surprisingly note that the observed curve has a fairly constant velocity (implying dark matter).We would expect the velocity to decrease by r^-1/2.
So you see dark matter isn't concentrated at the center.Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

That's right. We find that rather than being distributed strongly towards the center like luminous matter is, the dark matter forms a fairly diffuse halo around (and in) the galaxy, which can often be quite a bit larger than the visual extent of the galaxy.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This happens when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

2. How big can a black hole be?

The size of a black hole is determined by its mass. There are three types of black holes: stellar, intermediate, and supermassive. Stellar black holes can range from a few kilometers to several hundred kilometers in diameter, while supermassive black holes can be millions or even billions of times the mass of our sun.

3. Can anything survive inside a black hole?

No, nothing can survive inside a black hole. The gravitational pull is so strong that it would crush any object, including atoms, into a singularity, where all of its mass is concentrated into an infinitely small point.

4. Do black holes ever disappear?

In theory, black holes can eventually evaporate due to a process called Hawking radiation. However, this process is extremely slow, and it would take trillions of years for a black hole to completely evaporate.

5. How do scientists study black holes if they cannot be seen?

Scientists use indirect methods to study black holes, such as observing the effects of their strong gravitational pull on surrounding matter and light. They also use tools like X-ray telescopes and computer simulations to study the behavior and properties of black holes.