Question about calculus, on derivatives

In summary: I think this discussion should be moved to the "Mathematics" forum- it is not a "summary of the conversation".In summary, the conversation focused on the derivation of the exponential function and the process of finding its derivative. The incorrect steps and manipulations taken by the original poster were pointed out, and alternative methods of finding the derivative were discussed, including the use of L'Hopital's Rule and the definition of the natural logarithm function. The conversation also touched on the different approaches to defining "e" and the natural logarithm function in calculus.
Some_dude91
I am posting this question, in order to make something clear, since i am confused by derivation of the exponential function. I'll post the formula i used, correct me if you find something wrong thank you:
[itex]
{\frac{d}{Dx}}\ e^x =>
[/itex]

[itex]
{\frac{e^{x + Dx} - e^x}{Dx}}\ =>
[/itex]

Here i factored out [itex] e^x [/itex]

[itex]
e^x\ {\frac{e^{Dx} - 1}{Dx}}\ =>
[/itex]

I integrated the exponential

[itex] e^{Dx}\ =\ cosh(Dx)\ +\ sinh(Dx)\ [/itex]

Now based on theory
[itex] e^{Dx} [/itex]
already approaches a value which is a tiny little above 1 so if we subtract one it will be one tiny little value above 0 and if we divide by [itex] Dx [/itex]
we are likely to get 1 as the values approach each other as they shrink to lower values.
But as i try to factor for [itex] sinh(x) [/itex] i take that since
[itex]
coth(x)\ =\ {\frac{\cosh(x)}{sinh(x)}}\
[/itex]
i take that
[itex] cosh(Dx)\ =\ coth(Dx)\ *\ sinh(Dx) [/itex]

[itex]
e^x\ {\frac{coth(Dx)sinh(Dx) + sinh(Dx) - 1}{Dx}}\ =>
[/itex]

[itex]
e^x\ {\frac{sinh(Dx)\ (coth(Dx) + 1)}{Dx}}\ -\ {\frac{1}{Dx}}\
[/itex]

As sinh(Dx) approaches 0 so does Dx and they tend to be 1 in division
[itex]
e^x\ *\ (coth(Dx)\ +\ 1)\ -\ {\frac{1}{Dx}}\
[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was going to try to help, but every time I refreshed, your post had changed. I'm not going to try to hit a moving target.

Some_dude91 said:
I am posting this question, in order to make something clear, since i am confused by derivation of the exponential function. I'll post the formula i used, correct me if you find something wrong thank you:
[itex]
{\frac{d}{Dx}}\ e^x =>
[/itex]

[itex]
{\frac{e^{x + Dx} - e^x}{Dx}}\ =>
[/itex]

Here i factored out [itex] e^x [/itex]

[itex]
e^x\ {\frac{e^{Dx} - 1}{Dx}}\ =>
[/itex]

[itex] e^{Dx}\ =\ cosh(Dx)\ +\ sinh(Dx)\ [/itex]

Now based on theory
[itex] e^{Dx} [/itex]
already approaches a value which is a tiny little above 1 so if we subtract one it will be one tiny little value above 0 and if we divide by [itex] Dx [/itex]
we are likely to get 1 as the values approach each other as they shrink to lower values.
[itex]
[/itex]
i take that

[itex]
[/itex]

[itex]
[/itex]

[itex]
[/itex]

This is too sloppy, there are brackets missing, ##D## should be ##Δ##, there are some questionable manipulations and I don't know why you are going in this direction.

Some_dude91 said:

This is how to write the derivative correctly:

[tex]
{\frac{d}{dx}}\ e^x =
[/tex]

This next step is incorrect:

[tex]{\frac{e^{x + Dx} - e^x}{Dx}}\ =>[/tex]

The derivative is defined as

[tex]
{\frac{d}{dx}}\ e^x =
\lim_{Δx\rightarrow 0}{\frac{e^{x + Δx} - e^x}{Δx}}[/tex]

You can apply the Law of Exponents here to factor out [itex]e^{x}[/itex], leaving

[tex]
{\frac{d}{dx}}\ e^x = e^x
\lim_{Δx\rightarrow 0}{\frac{e^{Δx} - 1}{Δx}}[/tex]

When you evaluate this limit, it becomes an indeterminate form, [itex]{\frac{0}{0}}[/itex], which can be treated with L'Hopital's Rule.

I have no idea how you got to the next step. In general, finding derivatives does not involve the use of integration:

[itex] e^{Δx}\ =\ cosh(Δx)\ +\ sinh(Δx)\ [/itex]

Now based on theory
[itex] e^{Dx} [/itex]
[itex]
[/itex]
i take that

[itex]
[/itex]

[itex]
[/itex]

[itex]
[/itex]

^L'Hopital's Rule is not needed
We need to know the derivative of e^x when x is 0.
That is a whole other proof.
Then

$$\exp^\prime(0)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\exp(0+h)-\exp(0)}{h}\\
\exp^\prime(0)\exp(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\exp(0+h)-\exp(0)}{h}\exp(x)\\
\exp^\prime(0)\exp(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\exp(x+h)-\exp(x)}{h}\\
\exp^\prime(0)\exp(x)=\exp^\prime(x)
$$

I see what you are trying to do, but I think you are boot-strapping.

You haven't rigorously shown that the following limit exists:

[tex]\lim_{Δx\rightarrow 0}{\frac{e^{Δx} - 1}{Δx}}[/tex]

In studying derivatives, one doesn't normally start off with trying to show that e^x is its own derivative. I still think L'Hopital's Rule is one call you can make here to complete the proof.

^That is my point I assume exp'(0), you assume exp'(x).
e^x is its own derivative, what else would you show?
L'Hopital's rule is a strong result that the OP may or may not know, using it also requires knowing exp'(x).
In any case we must know exp'(0).

To show exp'(0) we need to know what definition of exp(x) the OP is using.

One can show, as SteamKing did, but using an arbitrary positive number, a, rather than e, that
[tex]\frac{da^x}{dx}= \left(\lim_{\Delta x\to 0} \frac{a^{\Delta x}- 1}{\Delta x}\right)a^x[/tex]
and that the limit exists, for any positive a, can be shown. That is, that the derivative of [itex]a^x[/itex] is a constant (depending on a) times [itex]a^x[/itex]. One can show that the limit is less than 1 for, say a= 2, larger than 1 for a= 3, and depends continuously on a. That means that there exist a value of a, between 2 and 3, such that the limit is 1 and we define "e" to be that value.

But many modern Calculus texts do the derivatives in the opposite way- define the natural logarithm function as [itex]\ln(x)= \int_0^1 \frac{dt}{t}[/itex], show that the inverse function to this new function is some number to the x power and then define "e" to be that number.

1. What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative in calculus is a measure of how a function changes as its input changes. It is the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph of the function.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term in the function and combining them using algebraic operations.

3. Why are derivatives important in calculus?

Derivatives are important in calculus because they allow us to analyze the behavior of functions and solve real-world problems related to rates of change. They are also essential in understanding the concepts of optimization and curve sketching.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and an antiderivative?

A derivative is a measure of instantaneous rate of change of a function, while an antiderivative is the inverse operation of taking a derivative. In other words, an antiderivative is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

5. Can you find the derivative of any function?

In most cases, yes. However, there are some functions that are not differentiable at certain points, such as ones with sharp corners or discontinuities. In these cases, the derivative does not exist at those points. Additionally, some functions, such as fractals, do not have a well-defined derivative.