Question about capacitors with dielectrics

In summary, when a capacitor is supplied with voltage, it has an initial charge density on each plate. When a dielectric is introduced, the net charge density on each plate remains the same, but the capacitance of the capacitor increases due to the polarization of the molecules in the dielectric. This results in a decrease in stored energy and the equivalent of moving the plates closer together. Work is done in this process.
anon6912
Say i have a capacitor and i supply it with a voltage V and after that it has charge density sigmainitial on each plate.

Now i remove the voltage source and then introduce a dilectric with area A that it equal to the area of one of the plates in the capacitor to the capacitor.

But this dielectric is only touching one plate.

My question is: is the net charge density on each plate(sigmainitial - sigmainduced) the same in both plates or different?

please explain...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer is that the same charge is there but the molecules in the dielectric have all polarised a bit. This has increased the capacity ov the capacitor. Equivalent to moving the plates closer together. Now
Q=CV
so the voltage will have dropped. As for the energy difference, some work has been done in moving the dielectric into place- nothing violated either way, I think.

Hi Anon-
Sophie is correct. Charge is conserved, and the charge distribution is unchanged. The stored energy is

E = Q2/2C

So when the dielectric is pulled (not pushed) in, the stored energy drops, and work is done.

Bob S

Yes- the same work that the plates would do if they were allowed to come together and have the equivalent capacitance.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is an insulating material that is placed between the two plates of a capacitor. It helps to increase the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates.

3. How does a capacitor with a dielectric differ from one without a dielectric?

A capacitor with a dielectric has a higher capacitance compared to one without a dielectric. This is because the dielectric material helps to reduce the electric field between the plates, allowing more charge to be stored on the plates.

4. What materials are commonly used as dielectrics in capacitors?

Some common materials used as dielectrics in capacitors include ceramic, paper, plastic, and electrolytic materials. The choice of dielectric depends on the specific application and required capacitance.

5. How does the dielectric constant affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of how well a material can store electrical energy. The higher the dielectric constant, the higher the capacitance of the capacitor will be, as it allows for more charge to be stored on the plates.