Does Carbon Dating Take into Account Organisms' Preference for Lighter Isotopes?

• Thread starter mrawls
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carbon
In summary, the conversation discussed the preference of organisms for lighter isotopes and its potential impact on radiocarbon dating. The question was raised about the reference point for measuring C-14 concentration in an organism and whether the organism's preference for lighter isotopes would affect the accuracy of the dating method. The possibility of calibrating the method using samples of known age was also mentioned. However, it was concluded that the effect of organism preference for lighter isotopes on radiocarbon dating is likely to be minimal.
mrawls
I was told by a professor (I am assuming he was right) that organisms prefer lighter isotopes. So if a tree is in an atmosphere containing 99% O-16 and 1% O-18, the concentration of O-16 in the organism itself (in water, carbon dioxide, etc) will be MORE than the amount in the atmosphere (so >99%). These numbers are completely made up, by the way.

So what I am getting at... if you want to date a CaCO3 shell with radiocarbon dating, what is the reference point? Is the reference point the estimated concentration of C-14 in the water column ~5000 years ago? I started to think "well if organisms prefer lighter isotopes, then the C-14 concentration in the organism would not reflect the concentration in its environment. It would be slightly less in the organism". So, if the reference point of C-14 concentration is the amount in the water, and you are using that to measure the age of the organism, and the organism has a lower concentration of C-14 in its body than its surroundings had during its lifetime, then you would observe that the organism is much younger than it actually is (depending on the variance in heavy isotope concentration in the organism versus its surroundings).

EDIT: I guess I forgot to ask a question. Is this something that is taken into account when carbon dating? Or is it a non-issue?

Anybody care to comment on this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to measure this preference at organisms living today (->with a known age) to calibrate the method. And you need some calibration anyway as the ratio of carbon isotopes can change with time - if samples of known age are used, this effect cancels automatically.

I would not expect a significant effect from that anyway. The mass difference is just a few percent, and even less in molecules like CO2.

Related to Does Carbon Dating Take into Account Organisms' Preference for Lighter Isotopes?

1. What is carbon dating and how does it work?

Carbon dating is a method used by scientists to determine the age of organic material. It is based on the principle that living organisms constantly exchange carbon with their environment, and this carbon is then incorporated into their tissues. When an organism dies, it stops taking in carbon, and the amount of carbon-14 in its tissues begins to decrease at a known rate. By measuring the amount of carbon-14 remaining in a sample, scientists can calculate how long ago the organism died.

2. How accurate is carbon dating?

Carbon dating can be very accurate, but it does have limitations. It is most effective for dating objects up to 50,000 years old. Beyond this point, the amount of carbon-14 remaining is so small that it becomes difficult to measure accurately. Additionally, external factors such as contamination or changes in the Earth's magnetic field can affect the accuracy of carbon dating results.

3. Can carbon dating be used to date anything besides organic material?

No, carbon dating can only be used to date organic material such as plants and animals. This is because only living organisms absorb carbon-14 from the environment and incorporate it into their tissues. Inorganic materials, such as rocks or minerals, do not contain carbon and therefore cannot be dated using this method.

4. Can carbon dating be used to determine the age of the Earth?

No, carbon dating is not an accurate method for determining the age of the Earth. The Earth is approximately 4.54 billion years old, which is far beyond the range that carbon dating is effective for. Instead, scientists use other radiometric dating techniques, such as uranium-lead dating, to determine the age of the Earth.

5. What are some potential sources of error in carbon dating?

There are a few potential sources of error in carbon dating. One is contamination, which can occur if the sample is not properly handled or if it comes into contact with materials that contain carbon. Another is the variation in the amount of carbon-14 in the atmosphere over time, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations. Additionally, carbon dating is based on the assumption that the rate of carbon-14 decay has remained constant over time, which may not always be the case.