Question about complex integrals

In summary, the conversation involves a question about complex integration and the evaluation of two complex integrals using different parametrizations. One person is confused about how to approach the problem but another suggests substituting the parameterization into the integral to make it a simpler single variable integral. The first integral is solved and the answer is -2/3i, while the second integral is still being worked on.
LiamH

Homework Statement

Hey people got a question here about complex integration, not really sure how to do it so hope someone out there could help me!

Evaluate the complex integrals

∫ c { (zbar)^2 +1 } dz...and...∫ c { zcos(z^2) - ie^2z }

where c is the contour joining 0 to 2i along
(i) the line segment parametrized by z(t) = 2it, t∈{0,1}
(ii) the semicircle parametrized by z(t) = i + e^it, t∈{-pi/2, pi/2}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know we have to sub the parameterization in for z, but now that there's a line and semicircle I am confused! Didnt have a great prof for this subject, so I am hopin some other people could help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
hi liamH

as you are given the parameterisaton, why not try substituting it into the inetrgal, then the integration should become a simple single variable integral. Remember you will have to account for the dz as well.

Ok so for the first integral and the line segment...

int from 0 to 1 {(2it bar) ^ 2 +1} (2i) dz

i worked this out and the answer i got was -2/3 i?

is this right?

and so for the semicircle the integral wil be

int from -pi/2 to pi/2 {(-1 + e^it bar) ^2 + 1 (e^it) } ?

first one looks correct - probably easier if you show you working and I can check it rather than me doing the whole integral as well

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a type of mathematical calculation that involves integrating a function with one or more complex variables. It is similar to a regular integral, but the difference is that the limits of integration and the function itself can contain complex numbers.

Why are complex integrals useful?

Complex integrals are useful in many areas of science and mathematics, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. They are used to solve problems involving complex variables and can be used to calculate things like electric fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer.

How do you solve a complex integral?

Solving a complex integral involves using techniques such as contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and the residue theorem. These methods involve breaking down the integral into smaller, simpler parts and using known identities and theorems to simplify the calculation.

What are some common applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in science and engineering, including solving problems in electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in the study of complex functions and their properties.

Are there any challenges in working with complex integrals?

Yes, there can be challenges when working with complex integrals. One of the main challenges is the use of multiple complex variables, which can make the calculations more complex and time-consuming. Additionally, the use of complex numbers can lead to unexpected results and require a thorough understanding of complex analysis.