1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about computer engineering.

1. May 23, 2009 #1
    I'm persueing computer engineering at MIT, i want more of a 'software' approach to this course as i originally wanted to become a computer programmer in highschool but my parents recommended science, so i took the sciences and have an interest in mathematics mostly. I would just like to know what computer engineering is like as opposed to a computer programmer or a software engineer? I'm not sure whether i want to be a computer engineer or a software engineer what are the similarities and differences between the two? Also what job opertunities are available for each and which would be the better choice in your opinion with a backround in computer science? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2009 #2
    Compute engineering is more hardware and low-level software development. It's closer to EE than to CS, in truth, but has some SE and basic CS thrown in.

SE is higher level, perhaps more business or enterprise oriented. It specifically focuses on how software is made, and treats the production of software itself (which can include hardware support) as an engineering discipline.

SE is a more promising field in terms of job growth and employment opportunities. CE pays slightly more. (BLS OOH is my source). At the end of the day, you should ask yourself whether you prefer looking at software or hardware, and go from there: software => SE, hardware => CE.

If you're one of us noble souls that enjoys the mathematics of computation, go CS. You can probably take enough electives to bluff your way into jobs either a SE or CE major would do, and you'll get plenty of fun theory and have the opportunity to study many more advanced mathematical topics in graduate school.

4. May 23, 2009 #3
    Just to make sure I understand your situation, according to your other post

So you were able to get into MIT even after a bad high school record (I assume you applied as a transfer student because you haven't chosen your major yet)? If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to stand out enough to get into MIT? Transfer applications are even more competitive than freshman admissions so you must've done something right.

5. May 28, 2009 #4
    Depends on how far you are willing to go in your educational career. If you just get a BS in CE, the job market essentially degenerates into a CS job market. Most folks I know with a BS in CE are doing programming work; some are able to do FPGA work. If you really want a CE job more tied to hardware, I would highly recommend going to grad school. If you prefer the software side of things, switch to CS.

6. May 29, 2009 #5

i got 3.50 gpa in jr. college

7. May 31, 2009 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook