Question about computer engineering.

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between computer engineering and software engineering, as well as job opportunities in each field. The speaker also shares their personal experience of choosing a major and getting into MIT. Ultimately, the choice between CE and SE depends on personal interests and the potential for further education.
Luongo
I'm pursueing computer engineering at MIT, i want more of a 'software' approach to this course as i originally wanted to become a computer programmer in high school but my parents recommended science, so i took the sciences and have an interest in mathematics mostly. I would just like to know what computer engineering is like as opposed to a computer programmer or a software engineer? I'm not sure whether i want to be a computer engineer or a software engineer what are the similarities and differences between the two? Also what job opertunities are available for each and which would be the better choice in your opinion with a backround in computer science? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compute engineering is more hardware and low-level software development. It's closer to EE than to CS, in truth, but has some SE and basic CS thrown in.

SE is higher level, perhaps more business or enterprise oriented. It specifically focuses on how software is made, and treats the production of software itself (which can include hardware support) as an engineering discipline.

SE is a more promising field in terms of job growth and employment opportunities. CE pays slightly more. (BLS OOH is my source). At the end of the day, you should ask yourself whether you prefer looking at software or hardware, and go from there: software => SE, hardware => CE.

If you're one of us noble souls that enjoys the mathematics of computation, go CS. You can probably take enough electives to bluff your way into jobs either a SE or CE major would do, and you'll get plenty of fun theory and have the opportunity to study many more advanced mathematical topics in graduate school.

Just to make sure I understand your situation, according to your other post

Luongo said:
well i screwed up by smoking pot and missing classes ... slacked off had to repeat a grade and... had to go to community college where i got my **** together and got into university where i am currently studying, it was hard work but it paid off.

So you were able to get into MIT even after a bad high school record (I assume you applied as a transfer student because you haven't chosen your major yet)? If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to stand out enough to get into MIT? Transfer applications are even more competitive than freshman admissions so you must've done something right.

Depends on how far you are willing to go in your educational career. If you just get a BS in CE, the job market essentially degenerates into a CS job market. Most folks I know with a BS in CE are doing programming work; some are able to do FPGA work. If you really want a CE job more tied to hardware, I would highly recommend going to grad school. If you prefer the software side of things, switch to CS.

qntty said:
Just to make sure I understand your situation, according to your other post

So you were able to get into MIT even after a bad high school record (I assume you applied as a transfer student because you haven't chosen your major yet)? If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to stand out enough to get into MIT? Transfer applications are even more competitive than freshman admissions so you must've done something right.

i got 3.50 gpa in jr. college

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is computer engineering?

Computer engineering is a field of study that combines elements of both computer science and electrical engineering. It focuses on the design and development of computer systems and their hardware and software components.

2. What skills do I need to become a computer engineer?

To become a computer engineer, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and programming languages such as C++, Java, and Python. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals.

3. What are the job opportunities for computer engineers?

Computer engineers have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including technological companies, software development, telecommunications, aerospace, and more. They can work as hardware engineers, software developers, system analysts, network engineers, and many other roles.

4. Is a degree in computer engineering necessary to work in the field?

While a degree in computer engineering is not always necessary, it is highly recommended and can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in this field. Many employers prefer candidates with a degree and may offer higher salaries to those with a degree.

5. What are the future prospects for computer engineering?

The future prospects for computer engineering are very promising. With the rapid advancement of technology, there is a high demand for skilled computer engineers in various industries. The field is constantly evolving, and there will always be a need for professionals who can adapt and innovate in this ever-changing field.