Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Question about Crohn's Disease

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

First, I understand that I can't ask for medical advice about diagnosis here. I had a colonoscopy yesterday :yuck: and my doctor wants to run additional tests for this disease. I am scheduling an appointment after the biopsy results come back to discuss it with her further before agreeing to any additional tests. So, no, I'm not asking for advice.

I would like to ask what the current state of understanding of this disease is so that I can go into my next appointment fully informed. I don't have a medical background and want to make sure that I don't end up reading any junk science articles about this. I did a search on PF and didn't see anything. Any links to respected journals would especially be welcome. I have read the Wikipedia article on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn%27s_disease" [Broken].

I read both Stickys for the Medical Sciences Forum and I hope that this stayed within the forum guidelines. Moonbear and Monique, I promise not to answer any questions specific to myself unless one of you two asks for the purpose of narrowing the links. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 13, 2010 #3

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4
    http://www.ccfa.org/living/?LMI=1 [Broken]

This is a really good foundation. If you do have Crohn's Disease, please feel free to contact me in our messaging system here. I can tell you, first hand about living with it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 18, 2010 #5
    I have ulcerative colitis, a condition that's related enough to be hard to distinguish from Crohn's.

I've found doctors to be only moderately useful. The fact that UC is viewed as idiopathic is telling. The only solution that they offer is drugs and I've been told explicitly several times that diet makes no difference. It does.

Try a fruit based diet coupled with fish oil and focus on foods deemed anti-inflammatory like blueberries. Also have your Vitamin D checked.

Compared to how life was before I adopted this regime I'd say my symptoms are about 80% less. Some claim to be symptom free going this route. Not cured though, just held in remission.

7. Feb 18, 2010 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We do not allow recommendations for treatments/diet that are anecdotal.

There is no official stance on diet for Crohn's.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/#diet

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  8. Feb 18, 2010 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that this is a science forum, personal accounts do not constitute evidence for treatment.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook