Question about current decay in R-L circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the sign conventions used in the equations for current decay in an R-L circuit. The authors use the minus sign in L di/dt to follow Lenz's law. The Kirchhoff's rule also supports this sign convention. It is important to maintain the same sign convention for both cases of current growth and decay. The voltage drop across the inductance is always -L di/dt, regardless of the direction of current flow.
issacnewton
Hello

I am reading Young, Freedman's University physics and I have some questions about the
sign conventions followed in getting the equations for the current decay in the R-L circuit.
I have attached two snapshots which will help the discussions. Consider the series R-L circuit
as shown in the diagram. Say switch S1 is closed and switch S2 is open for a long time. So that means steady current has been established in the upper part of
the circuit. Now open S1 and close S2. Now authors give the following
equation for the first case, when the current is building.

[tex]\mathcal{E}-iR -L\frac{di}{dt}=0[/tex]

which makes sense using the second diagram I attached. But the authors say that , for the
second case , when the current is decaying through the bottom part of the circuit, the equation to be solved becomes,

[tex]-iR -L\frac{di}{dt}=0[/tex]

which doesn't make sense. Since the current is now decreasing, going around the loop
in the direction of current (assuming that the direction of the current is still the same),
and using the second diagram which I have uploaded, the Kirchhoff's rule says that

[tex] -iR +L\frac{di}{dt}=0[/tex]

But this doesn't give correct final result for the decay. So am I doing something wrong ?

thanks

Attachments

• R-L Circuit.jpg
    R-L Circuit.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 429
  • Inductor.jpg
    Inductor.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
The minus sign in L di/dt is a consequence of Lenz's law (or the minus sign in Faraday's). Just because we know the current will decrease, we don't change the sign because that would give us an ever increasing current (contrary to our expectations)

But Gordianus, but is there not a potential gain in such situation of we trace the loop in the same direction as the decaying current. I was trying to follow the rules of Kirchhoff using the second diagram given for the situation where [itex]\frac{di}{dt} <0[/itex].

Exactly. When di/dt<0 you want a positive voltage drop. If you multiply by -L you obtain a positive number. On the contrary, if you multiply by L, you obtain a negative number (this isn't what you want).
In a nut, you don't have to switch the sign from positive to negative. The same equation gives the right answer for both cases.

Gordianus, I think it makes sense now... So are the signs used the way they are used to get the end equations working ?

The safe method is this:
a) You assume the current flows in some direction (it doesn't matter which one).
b) You apply KVL moving in the same direction current does.

With these previous assumptions the voltage drop across the inductance is -L di/dt, whether the current grows or decays.

ok makes sense

1. What is the definition of current decay in an R-L circuit?

Current decay in an R-L circuit refers to the gradual decrease in the flow of electric current over time due to the presence of both resistance (R) and inductance (L) in the circuit.

2. What causes current decay in an R-L circuit?

The presence of resistance in the circuit causes the conversion of electrical energy into heat, while the presence of inductance causes the conversion of electrical energy into magnetic energy. These energy conversions result in a gradual decrease in the flow of electric current, known as current decay.

3. How is current decay measured in an R-L circuit?

Current decay is typically measured using an ammeter, which measures the flow of electric current in the circuit. The ammeter can be connected in series with the circuit to measure the current at various time intervals and track the rate of decay.

4. How can current decay be reduced in an R-L circuit?

The most effective way to reduce current decay in an R-L circuit is by decreasing the resistance and/or inductance in the circuit. This can be achieved by using materials with lower resistance or inductance values, or by adding components such as capacitors to counteract the effects of resistance and inductance.

5. What are some real-world applications of current decay in R-L circuits?

Current decay in R-L circuits is a common phenomenon in many electrical devices and systems. It is important to understand and manage current decay in areas such as power transmission, electric motors, and electronic circuitry to ensure efficient and safe operation of these systems. It is also a key concept in the study of electromagnetism and has numerous industrial and technological applications.