Question about differentiability

In summary, the conversation is about the process of solving a calculus problem and using the Squeeze Theorem to show that a function is differentiable at a certain point. The solution is confirmed to be correct.
pc2-brazil
I study Calculus by myself, and I tried to solve the following question.
I got the answer, but is my solution consistent?

Thank you in advance.

1. The problem statement
Let f be a function such that |f(x)| ≤ x² for every x. Show that f is differentiable in 0 and that f'(0) = 0.

2. Relevant theorems
I used the Squeeze Theorem, as suggested by the book I'm using. This theorem states the following: "Suppose the functions f, g and h are defined in an open interval I containing a, except possibly at a, and that f(x) ≤ g(x) ≤ h(x) for every x in I such that x ≠ a. If the limits of both f(x) and h(x) as x approaches a exist and equal L, then the limit of g(x) as x approaches a also exists and equals L.".

The Attempt at a Solution

If [tex]|f(x)| \leq x^2[/tex], then
[tex]-x^2 \leq f(x) \leq x^2[/tex] (1)
Derivative of f at 0:
[tex]f'(0)=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(0+h) - f(0)}{h}[/tex]
But, from (1), we see that f(0) = 0, so this derivative becomes:
[tex]f'(0)=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(h)}{h}[/tex] (2)
From (1), assuming h is approaching zero from positive values:
[tex]-h^2 \leq f(h) \leq h^2[/tex]
[tex]-h \leq \frac{f(h)}{h} \leq h[/tex]
From the Squeeze Theorem, we see that, since the limits of [tex]h[/tex] and [tex]-h[/tex] as h approaches 0 exist and equal 0, then
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(h)}{h} = 0[/tex]
Substituting this limit in (2), we see that [tex]f'(0)=0[/tex], as desired.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, it's correct.

losiu99 said:
Yep, it's correct.
Thank you for confirming.

1. What is differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that refers to the smoothness of a function. It means that a function is differentiable at a point if it has a well-defined derivative at that point. In simpler terms, it means that the function is continuous and has a slope at that particular point.

2. How do you determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This can be determined by checking if the function is continuous and if the limit of the difference quotient exists at each point in its domain. If these conditions are met, then the function is differentiable.

3. What is the difference between differentiability and continuity?

Differentiability and continuity are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Continuity refers to the smoothness and unbrokenness of a function, while differentiability specifically refers to the existence of a derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, but if a function is differentiable, it is also continuous.

4. Can all functions be differentiable?

No, not all functions are differentiable. A function may not be differentiable if it has sharp corners or breaks in its graph, which would result in a non-existent derivative. Additionally, some functions, such as the absolute value function, are not differentiable at certain points.

5. Why is differentiability important?

Differentiability is important because it allows us to study the behavior of a function at a particular point. It also helps us analyze the rate of change of a function and its local maxima and minima. Many real-world applications, such as optimization problems and physics equations, rely on differentiability to find solutions.