Can Energy Gaps Determine Electron Excitation and Decay?

• Thread starter Denver Dang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
It is not guaranteed that every photon with an energy between the energy levels will cause excitation. In summary, the behavior of an electron when a photon with an energy between two energy levels is fired at it is dependent on the specific energy levels and transitions involved.
Denver Dang
Hi guys...

A quick question.

If you have an atom, and you want to excite an electron in that. Let's just say that the gap between every energy level of the electron is the same: 0,2 eV.
I will then fire a photon with the exact energy of 0,2 eV into the electron, and I will excite it to the first state, and then it might decay right after.
But what I'm not totally sure about is what happens if I fire something with and energy between to energy levels. I mean, if my photon is 0,1 eV the electron will not be excited, and the photon will just go through as nothing has happen - right ?
But what if I fire a photon with 0,3 eV ? Will it the excite to the first level, and emit a photon of 0,1 eV, and then after a while decay and emit a photon of 0,2 eV ? Or will there not happen anything like with the 0,1 eV photon ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of a photon with 0.3 eV, it is possible for the electron to be excited to the first energy level, and then emit a photon of 0.2 eV, followed by a decay to the initial state (ground state) after a while. However, it is also possible that the electron absorbs the 0.3 eV photon and then re-emits it as 0.1 eV photon, without any excitation or decay. This will depend on the exact energy levels and the allowed transitions between them.

1. What are energy gaps?

Energy gaps refer to the difference in energy levels between two electronic states in a material. In other words, it is the amount of energy that is required for an electron to move from one energy level to another. These energy gaps play a crucial role in determining the electronic and optical properties of a material.

2. What causes energy gaps?

Energy gaps are caused by the energy band structure of a material. In a solid, the electrons are confined to specific energy levels, which form bands. The separation between these bands creates energy gaps. The size of the energy gaps depends on the type of material and its electronic structure.

3. Why are energy gaps important?

Energy gaps are important because they determine the behavior of electrons in a material. They affect the electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and optical properties of a material. Energy gaps also play a crucial role in the design and development of electronic devices, such as transistors and solar cells.

4. How do we measure energy gaps?

Energy gaps can be measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy, tunneling microscopy, and electronic transport measurements. These techniques involve the application of an external stimulus, such as light or an electric field, to study the behavior of electrons in a material and determine the size of the energy gaps.

5. Can energy gaps be modified or controlled?

Yes, energy gaps can be modified or controlled by altering the electronic structure of a material. This can be achieved through doping (adding impurities to a material), applying external stimuli, or manipulating the material's composition and structure. The ability to modify energy gaps has led to the development of new materials with unique electronic and optical properties.