Question about entropy (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Entropy has been defined as nearly synonamous with randomness (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4TSNA_enUS371US371&defl=en&q=define:entropy&sa=X&ei=PyWxTPLOFcT6lwf-rZmYDQ&ved=0CBIQkAE"). In our every-day experience things naturaly progress from a state of less entropy to a state of more entropy. This observation has even been elevated to the status of a physical law of thermodynamics. My question is why did the early universe have such low entropy? It seems like everything exploding from a single point would lead to a highly random distribution of mater and energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. This is my first post in these forums. I have no education in physics and little in mathematics beyond the basics. So, definitely take what I have to say as the opinion of the curious only. Looking forward to some real answers later. :)

One thing to keep in mind is that the "big bang" was not like a typical explosion. In any explosion we are familiar with, it occurs in space, while the "big bang" was an explosion of space. So, there is no central, single point of energy. The central point is every point in the ever expanding space.

Also, it seems to me that during the first phases of this expansion each point had no time with which to communicate with any other point. Even when gravity split and became a distinct force, the very small clumps of matter that were present did not have time to attract or act upon the matter surrounding them.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving