The left-right symmetry and forbidden triplet spin state

In summary: In this case, the spatial wave function must be antisymmetric in order for the overall wave function to be antisymmetric. However, this does not rule out the possibility of antisymmetric spatial wave functions, which would result in a symmetric spin wave function. The ground state of this system would most likely be the singlet state, as seen in the example of helium atoms.
hokhani
TL;DR Summary
The symmetry and two-spin state
Suppose that we have a system including two single (and identical) orbitals as shown in the attached image. Then, consider the states that we have two different spins on the two orbitals. It seems that because of the left right symmetry of the system the special part of teh wave function can not be asymmetric and so we can not have triplet (symmetric) spin wave function and only the singlet state is permitted. I would like to know if this reasoning is correct. Any help is appreciated.
Picture1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
@hokhani, please note that putting equations and text in images is not permitted. Please use the PF LaTeX feature to post equations directly. There is a "LaTeX Guide" link at the bottom left of the post window.

Likes hokhani and topsquark
hokhani said:
consider the states that we have two different spins on the two orbitals
If you stipulate that the two electron spins must have opposite values (i.e., total spin zero), that already rules out two of the three triplet states. But on what grounds are you making this stipulation?

hokhani said:
It seems that because of the left right symmetry of the system the special part of teh wave function can not be asymmetric
I assume you mean "spatial" (not "special"). It is not correct that left right symmetry of the system (meaning its Hamiltonian) requires that the spatial wave function must be symmetric. You can have spatially asymmetric wave functions in this case; they will just occur in pairs, with each one of a pair being the mirror image of the other.

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
PeterDonis said:
If you stipulate that the two electron spins must have opposite values (i.e., total spin zero), that already rules out two of the three triplet states. But on what grounds are you making this stipulation?
The opposite spins does't necessarily mean that the total spin is zero. We can also have the state $$\frac{1}{\sqrt(2)}(\uparrow \downarrow+\downarrow \uparrow)$$.
PeterDonis said:
I assume you mean "spatial" (not "special"). It is not correct that left right symmetry of the system (meaning its Hamiltonian) requires that the spatial wave function must be symmetric. You can have spatially asymmetric wave functions in this case; they will just occur in pairs, with each one of a pair being the mirror image of the other.
Right, sorry for typo. Could you please write the asymmetric spatial wavefunction in this case?

hokhani said:
The opposite spins does't necessarily mean that the total spin is zero. We can also have the state $$\frac{1}{\sqrt(2)}(\uparrow \downarrow+\downarrow \uparrow)$$.

Right, sorry for typo. Could you please write the asymmetric spatial wavefunction in this case?
The overall wavefunction for a system of two identical fermions must be antisymmetric. If the spatial wavefunction is symmetric, then the spin "component" of the wavefunction must be antisymmetric. That implies the singlet state. This applies in the particular case when the fermions share a spatial wavefunction, such as the same orbital in an atom - in which case the spin state must be the singlet.

Likes topsquark and vanhees71
hokhani said:
Could you please write the asymmetric spatial wavefunction in this case?
You wrote one possibility already (although it has an index error in it, which I'll correct), the "minus" part of your spatial ##\psi## wave function:

$$
\psi_\text{spatial} = \psi_\alpha (x_1) \psi_\beta (x_2) - \psi_\alpha(x_2) \psi_\beta (x_1)
$$

This is antisymmetric, so it's one wave function of a pair that are mirror images of each other. The other is what you get if you swap ##x_1## and ##x_2##.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
The state
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|1/2,-1/2\rangle+|-1/2,1/2\rangle )$$
belongs to total spin ##S=1##. It's the state with ##\Sigma=0##. The other two basis vectors with ##\Sigma=\pm 1## are ##|1/2,1/2 \rangle## and ##|-\1/2,-1/2 \rangle##, respectively.

The state with ##S=\Sigma=0## is
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|1/2,-1/2\rangle-|-1/2,1/2\rangle ).$$
If you have the spin part in the triplet (singlet) state this state is symmetric (anti-symmetric) under exchange, the spatial part must be anti-symmetric (symmetric).

Likes topsquark and hokhani
PeterDonis said:
You wrote one possibility already (although it has an index error in it, which I'll correct), the "minus" part of your spatial ##\psi## wave function:

$$
\psi_\text{spatial} = \psi_\alpha (x_1) \psi_\beta (x_2) - \psi_\alpha(x_2) \psi_\beta (x_1)
$$

This is antisymmetric, so it's one wave function of a pair that are mirror images of each other. The other is what you get if you swap ##x_1## and ##x_2##.
Alright, this wave function is zero because of symmetry and so we only have the symmetric spatial wave function (with singlet spin wave).

hokhani said:
this wave function is zero because of symmetry
Why? As I've already said, left-right symmetry does not mean the spatial wave function has to be symmetric. It just means that antisymmetric wave functions have to occur in pairs, with each one the left-right mirror image of the other. There is nothing physically impossible about the antisymmetric spatial wave functions; they just imply that if the electrons are in that spatial state, their spin wave function must be symmetric.

I suspect that what you are actually trying to find is the ground state, i.e., the state of lowest energy, for this system. But if so, you should state that explicitly, because finding the ground state is a much more restrictive problem than just finding states that can have nonzero probability in general.

Likes topsquark, vanhees71 and PeroK
Take helium as an example. There you have "para helium" and "ortho helium". One are those in the spin singulet and triplet states of its two electrons. The ground state is a para helium state, because you get a much lower energy for the spatially symmetric wave functions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium_atom

Likes topsquark and PeroK
PeterDonis said:
Why? As I've already said, left-right symmetry does not mean the spatial wave function has to be symmetric. It just means that antisymmetric wave functions have to occur in pairs, with each one the left-right mirror image of the other. There is nothing physically impossible about the antisymmetric spatial wave functions; they just imply that if the electrons are in that spatial state, their spin wave function must be symmetric.

I suspect that what you are actually trying to find is the ground state, i.e., the state of lowest energy, for this system. But if so, you should state that explicitly, because finding the ground state is a much more restrictive problem than just finding states that can have nonzero probability in general.
I pointed that we are talking about the specific case which two electrons with opposite spins are on two orbitals.
In this case, because of symmetry we have $x_1=-x_2$ and $\alpha=\beta$ and we can infer that the spatial part is zero.

hokhani said:
I pointed that we are talking about the specific case which two electrons with opposite spins are on two orbitals.
Yes. So what?

hokhani said:
In this case, because of symmetry we have $x_1=-x_2$
No, we don't. The fact that the electrons are in the left and right orbitals does not mean their ##x## coordinates must satisfy this relation. The orbitals are not points.

hokhani said:
and $\alpha=\beta$
This makes no sense. ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are labeling the two electrons. They can't both be the same electron.

What we are discussing is best described by a tensor product of the form ##\text{spatial part} \otimes \text{spin part}##, which can be done in non-relativistic approximation, where the spin commutes with position and momentum operators. For a system of two spin-1/2 particles as discussed here, there are two possibilities:
$$\Psi(\vec{x}_1,\sigma_1;\vec{x}_2 \sigma_2)=\psi_{\text{even}}(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2) \otimes \chi^{(S=0)}(\sigma_1,\sigma_2)$$
or
$$\Psi(\vec{x}_1,\sigma_2;x_2 \sigma_2) = \psi_{\text{odd}}(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2) \otimes \chi^{(S=1)}(\sigma_1,\sigma_2).$$
In the first case there's only one spin state,
$$\chi^{(S=0)}(\sigma_1,\sigma_2)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|1/2,-1/2 \rangle - |-1/2,1/2 \rangle),$$
while in the 2nd case
$$\chi^{(S=1})(\sigma_1,\sigma_2) = \lambda_1 |1/2,1/2 \rangle + \lambda_0 \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|1/2,-1/2 \rangle + |-1/2,1/2 \rangle_ + \lambda_{-1} |-1/2,-1/2 \rangle.$$
Since we must have
$$\Psi(\vec{x}_1,\sigma_1;\vec{x}_2,\sigma_2)=-\Psi(\vec{x}_2,\sigma_2;\vec{x}_1,\sigma_1),$$
obviously we must have
$$\psi_{\text{even}}(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2)=\psi_{\text{even}}(\vec{x}_2,\vec{x}_1), \quad \psi_{\text{odd}}(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2)=-\psi_{\text{odd}}(\vec{x}_2,\vec{x}_1),$$
because
$$\chi^{(S=0)}(\sigma_1,\sigma_2)=-\chi^{(S=0)}(\sigma_2,\sigma_1), \quad \chi^{(S=1)}(\sigma_1,\sigma_2) = \chi^{(S=1)}(\sigma_2,\sigma_1).$$

Likes topsquark
PeterDonis said:
Yes. So what?No, we don't. The fact that the electrons are in the left and right orbitals does not mean their ##x## coordinates must satisfy this relation. The orbitals are not points.
I attached a non-symmetric configuration of electrons in the orbital in the mirror-symmetric system. Do you mean that we can have such an electronic position?
PeterDonis said:
This makes no sense. ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are labeling the two electrons. They can't both be the same electron.
Picture3.png

PeterDonis said:
$$
$$
hokhani said:
Alright, this wave function is zero because of symmetry and so we only have the symmetric spatial wave function (with singlet spin wave).
##\psi_\text{spatial}## is only zero when ##x_1=x_2##. The only thing you can say is that the probability of finding both electrons at the same place is zero.

Likes vanhees71, topsquark and PeroK
hokhani said:
I attached a non-symmetric configuration of electrons in the orbital in the mirror-symmetric system. Do you mean that we can have such an electronic position?
You are misunderstanding my point. Even in the "symmetric" configuration of orbitals you originally drew, the fact that electron 1 is in the left orbital while electron 2 is in the right orbital does not mean that ##x_1 = - x_2##. The orbitals are not points, they are regions of space, so they don't correspond to just one value of ##x##.

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
PeterDonis said:
You are misunderstanding my point. Even in the "symmetric" configuration of orbitals you originally drew, the fact that electron 1 is in the left orbital while electron 2 is in the right orbital does not mean that ##x_1 = - x_2##. The orbitals are not points, they are regions of space, so they don't correspond to just one value of ##x##.
Orbitals are nothing except for wave functions which are functions of ##x##. Therefore, I think my reasoning runs again in this regard.

hokhani said:
Orbitals are nothing except for wave functions which are functions of ##x##.
Sure. But they're not delta functions; they aren't zero except for a single value of ##x##.

hokhani said:
Therefore, I think my reasoning runs again in this regard.
You have given no argument whatever to support your reasoning that, if electron 1 is in the left orbital and electron 2 is in the right orbital, we must have ##x_1 = - x_2##. And that claim is obviously false if either of the orbitals contains more than one point, i.e., is nonzero for more than one value of ##x##. As of course both are.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Sure. But they're not delta functions; they aren't zero except for a single value of ##x##.You have given no argument whatever to support your reasoning that, if electron 1 is in the left orbital and electron 2 is in the right orbital, we must have ##x_1 = - x_2##. And that claim is obviously false if either of the orbitals contains more than one point, i.e., is nonzero for more than one value of ##x##. As of course both are.
My reasoning is based on the mirror symmetry of the system. In the figure, I sent in my previous post, could you please explain the possibility of having instantly the two electrons in the non symmetric configuration while the system is symmetric?

hokhani said:
My reasoning is based on the mirror symmetry of the system.
No, it isn't. It's based on this invalid claim of yours:

hokhani said:
In this case, because of symmetry we have $x_1=-x_2$ and $\alpha=\beta$ and we can infer that the spatial part is zero.
The claim that "because of symmetry we have ##x_1 = - x_2##" is false. I have already explained why.

The claim that because of symmetry ##\alpha = \beta## is also false, as I have already pointed out; but one false claim is already enough to invalidate your argument, so we don't need another.

hokhani said:
In the figure, I sent in my previous post, could you please explain the possibility of having instantly the two electrons in the non symmetric configuration while the system is symmetric?
The fact that "the system is symmetric" does not mean the exact electron positions have to be symmetric all the time. "The system is symmetric" just means that the Hamiltonian of the system is invariant under parity inversion about the "mirror" surface shown in your drawings.

In fact, saying that one electron is in the left orbital and one electron is in the right orbital does not imply a definite position (value of ##x##) for either electron at all. The orbitals, as I have already pointed out, are not delta functions. So the whole way you are writing down the spatial wave functions is not really correct to begin with.

Likes hokhani, topsquark and vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
The fact that "the system is symmetric" does not mean the exact electron positions have to be symmetric all the time. "The system is symmetric" just means that the Hamiltonian of the system is invariant under parity inversion about the "mirror" surface shown in your drawings.

In fact, saying that one electron is in the left orbital and one electron is in the right orbital does not imply a definite position (value of ##x##) for either electron at all. The orbitals, as I have already pointed out, are not delta functions. So the whole way you are writing down the spatial wave functions is not really correct to begin with.
Thank you very much for pointing the parity inversion concept which seems that resolved my confusion about the symmetric system. As I underestood by your comment, the mirror symmetry means that ##H(x_1,x_2)=H(-x_1,-x_2)## which doesnt demand the condition ##x_1=-x_2##.

1. What is left-right symmetry in physics?

Left-right symmetry, also known as mirror symmetry or parity symmetry, is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should be the same for left and right-handed systems. This means that if a physical process or phenomenon behaves a certain way for a left-handed system, it should behave the same way for a right-handed system.

2. What is the forbidden triplet spin state?

The forbidden triplet spin state is a quantum mechanical state that is not allowed for certain particles, such as electrons, due to the Pauli exclusion principle. This principle states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. The forbidden triplet spin state refers to the three possible spin states for two electrons in an atom, where they have the same spin and violate the Pauli exclusion principle.

3. How does the left-right symmetry affect the forbidden triplet spin state?

The left-right symmetry is closely related to the forbidden triplet spin state because it dictates that the laws of physics should be the same for left and right-handed systems. This means that the forbidden triplet spin state should behave the same way for both left and right-handed systems, as it is a fundamental principle of nature.

4. Why is the forbidden triplet spin state important in quantum mechanics?

The forbidden triplet spin state is important in quantum mechanics because it helps explain the properties and behavior of particles at the atomic level. It also plays a crucial role in determining the electronic configurations and chemical properties of atoms and molecules. Understanding the forbidden triplet spin state is essential for understanding the behavior of matter at the quantum level.

5. Can the forbidden triplet spin state be observed in experiments?

Yes, the forbidden triplet spin state can be observed in experiments. For example, in spectroscopy experiments, scientists can observe the forbidden triplet spin state by studying the energy levels and transitions of atoms or molecules. Additionally, the effects of the forbidden triplet spin state can also be seen in certain chemical reactions and magnetic properties of materials.