Question about finding a tangent

• Thread starter kwal0203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
In summary, the problem asks to show that for each real number t in the interval (0, 1], the curve given by y = ln((x + sqrt(1 + x^2)) / (1 + sqrt(2))) has a tangent line with slope t. To find the points on the curve where the tangent line has slope 2/3, the first derivative of the curve is set equal to 2/3 and solved for x, giving x = +/- sqrt(5)/2. Similarly, the first derivative is set equal to t to find the points on the curve where the tangent line has slope t. It is also important to find the corresponding y values for these points.
kwal0203

Homework Statement

Show that, for each real number t [itex]\in[/itex] the interval (0, 1], the curve given by:

[itex]y=ln(\frac{x+\sqrt{1+x^{2}}}{1+\sqrt{2}})[/itex]

has a tangent line with slope t. Find the points on the curve at which the tangent line has slope 2/3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first derivative of this curve to be:

[itex]dy/dx=1/\sqrt{(1+x^{2})}[/itex]

but now not sure how to proceed.

What do they mean when they ask me to show that for each t has a tangent line with slope t?

any help appreciated!

Also to find the points with dy/dx=3 I did this:

[itex]dy/dx=1/\sqrt{(1+x^{2})} =2/3[/itex] >>>> [itex]x=\pm \sqrt{5}/2[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kwal0203 said:

Homework Statement

Show that, for each real number t [itex]\in[/itex] the interval (0, 1], the curve given by:

[itex]y=ln(\frac{x+\sqrt{1+x^{2}}}{1+\sqrt{2}})[/itex]

has a tangent line with slope t. Find the points on the curve at which the tangent line has slope 2/3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first derivative of this curve to be:

[itex]dy/dx=1/\sqrt{(1+x^{2})}[/itex]

but now not sure how to proceed.

What do they mean when they ask me to show that for each t has a tangent line with slope t?

any help appreciated!

Also to find the points with dy/dx=2/3 I did this:

[itex]dy/dx=1/\sqrt{(1+x^{2})} =2/3[/itex] >>>> [itex]x=\pm \sqrt{5}/2[/itex]

Do what you just did for ##t## instead of 2/3. For the points on the curve you probably want the y values too.

LCKurtz said:
Do what you just did for ##t## instead of 2/3. For the points on the curve you probably want the y values too.

Oh of course, lol! thanks

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point, called the point of tangency. It is perpendicular to the radius of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to know the coordinates of the point of tangency and the slope of the tangent line. You can use the point-slope form of a line, y-y1=m(x-x1), where (x1, y1) is the point of tangency and m is the slope of the tangent line.

3. What is the process for finding the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a tangent line can be found by taking the derivative of the function at the point of tangency. This will give you the slope of the tangent line at that point on the curve.

4. Can a tangent line intersect a curve more than once?

No, a tangent line can only intersect a curve at one point, which is the point of tangency. If a line intersects a curve at more than one point, it is not a tangent line.

5. How are tangent lines used in real life?

Tangent lines have many practical applications, such as in physics and engineering, where they are used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. They are also used in calculus to find the maximum and minimum values of a function.