Question about fixing electric cat

• Thread starter Neopets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of fixing an electric cat that has a circuit board and some parts inside. The speaker mentions that it may not be possible to fix due to the device being manufactured for high-volume and low-cost. However, if the issue is something simple like a broken switch or wire, it may be fixable. The conversation also suggests considering purchasing a replacement cat if the current one is important.
Neopets
I have an electric cat, it "breathes" and "sleeps" and uses batteries. If the cat stops working, I'd like to fix it, but it has a circuit board and some parts inside, would it be possible to fix something like this? It's an orange tabby.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Neopets said:
I have an electric cat, it "breathes" and "sleeps" and uses batteries. If the cat stops working, I'd like to fix it, but it has a circuit board and some parts inside, would it be possible to fix something like this? It's an orange tabby.

Welcome to the PF. In general, the answer to your question is no, depending on what went wrong. Especially if the electronic device is manufactured for high-volume and low-cost, it will not have many things that you can "fix". The main electronics will be contained in an ASIC or two (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit), which you will not be able to buy off the shelf at an electronics store. And they will not make schematics available, or repair procedures.

If something real simple goes wrong, like a switch breaks, or a wire breaks, then you may be able to figure it out and fix it. But if kitty starts limping, you may have to put her down...

What did the vet say?

A warm nose and puddles on the floor are signs the end is near.

Maybe you should purchase a kitty clone while they are still available, if this one is important to you.

What is an electric cat?

An electric cat is a robotic or stuffed animal designed to resemble a cat and powered by electricity. It typically has sensors and motors that allow it to move and make sounds like a real cat.

How does an electric cat work?

An electric cat works by using a power source, such as batteries or a plug, to activate its motors and sensors. The motors allow it to move and the sensors detect stimuli, such as touch or sound, to trigger its programmed responses.

What are common problems with electric cats?

Common problems with electric cats include malfunctioning motors, dead batteries, and faulty sensors. They may also experience issues with their programming or wiring, causing them to behave unexpectedly.

How can I fix an electric cat?

The first step in fixing an electric cat is to identify the problem. Check the batteries and replace them if necessary. If the issue is with the motors or sensors, you may need to open the cat and make repairs or replace faulty parts. If the problem is with programming, try resetting the cat or contacting the manufacturer for assistance.

Can I make my own electric cat?

Yes, it is possible to make your own electric cat using basic electronic components and programming skills. However, it may be easier and more cost-effective to purchase a pre-made electric cat from a reputable manufacturer.