The Cytokine Storm: Can a Flu Vaccine Trigger It?

• Medical
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vaccine
In summary, the mystery surrounding the 2009 H1N1 flu outbreak and its higher mortality rates among young adults may have been caused by a cytokine storm, an extreme immune response that can cause more tissue damage than the virus itself. However, researchers have discovered a way to prevent this response by disabling the immune system. The 1918 flu pandemic is believed to have caused similar cytokine storms due to genetic factors that allowed the virus to enter the bloodstream in large numbers. The use of chicken eggs in vaccine production may also play a role in causing hypersensitivity reactions in some individuals.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can a flu vaccine cause a "cytokine storm"?

Biology news on Phys.org
It seems it has to be a live virus, the flu vaccine is dead.

An article

One of the mysteries of the H1N1 flu outbreak in 2009 was why the virus seemed to be more deadly among healthy young adults than among the elderly and infants who typically fare worse when sickened by influenza.

Many in the public health world believed the culprit was a so-called cytokine storm, an extreme response by the body’s immune system to a foreign invader that ends up causing more tissue damage than the pathogen does.

A group of La Jolla researchers reported this week that they have discovered a way of preventing that problem by disabling the potentially lethal immune system responses.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/15/study-deadly-cytokine-storm-could-lead-new-flu-dru/

An article in PNAS

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/29/12018.abstract

I wasn't able to find anything that implicated dead virus vaccines. Perhaps our experts here have more information.

It has been proposed for the 1918 influenza pandemic.

...Should H5N1 become the next pandemic strain, the resultant morbidity and mortality could rival those of 1918, when more than half the deaths occurred among largely healthy people between 18 and 40 years of age and were caused by a virus-induced cytokine storm ...

Andre said:
Just to be clear (since people tend to not read links), this isn't about "cytokine storm", nor a link to any harm from vaccines. It's saying that we need to be able to create more vaccines, faster. It's also from 2005, so it's a bit outdated.

LisaB--I haven't heard of a flu vaccine causing a cytokine storm before. It is possible however, particularly is someone has a hypersensitivity reaction to a component of the vaccine (such as an individual with egg allergies)--Though I suspect it would take many sensitizations to the vaccine to get the end result of the cytokine storm.

The 1918 flu (not a vaccine) very probably caused "cytokine storms" and was the reason for such high morbidity and mortality. Normally influenza buds from the apical surface of columnar epithelium that way it can be more easily transmitted form host to host. It appears the 1918 flu strains had genetic factors which predisposed it from budding from the basolateral surface of those cells. Thus it entered the blood stream in its incredible numbers and caused a hyperimmune state (cytokine storm) from the patrolling WBCs.

bobze said:
LisaB--I haven't heard of a flu vaccine causing a cytokine storm before. It is possible however, particularly is someone has a hypersensitivity reaction to a component of the vaccine (such as an individual with egg allergies)--Though I suspect it would take many sensitizations to the vaccine to get the end result of the cytokine storm.

The 1918 flu (not a vaccine) very probably caused "cytokine storms" and was the reason for such high morbidity and mortality. Normally influenza buds from the apical surface of columnar epithelium that way it can be more easily transmitted form host to host. It appears the 1918 flu strains had genetic factors which predisposed it from budding from the basolateral surface of those cells. Thus it entered the blood stream in its incredible numbers and caused a hyperimmune state (cytokine storm) from the patrolling WBCs.

Thanks, bobze. That's kind of what I thought, that there would be a super-slim possibility but it wouldn't happen under normal circumstances.

Interesting about that mechanism...so a body might react to such an 'invasion' of flu virus as if some foreign substance was suddenly injected into the blood stream?

lisab said:
Thanks, bobze. That's kind of what I thought, that there would be a super-slim possibility but it wouldn't happen under normal circumstances.
Also interesting that it's chicken eggs, not the virus that is a potential problem.

lisab said:

Interesting about that mechanism...so a body might react to such an 'invasion' of flu virus as if some foreign substance was suddenly injected into the blood stream?

Yes. Influenza has a copious and fast replicative cycle, though it is low fidelity. Many of the virons would be non-infectious and are simply inert little antigens floating in the blood. I suspect that it is this reason that "confused" influenza (ie; budding from the basolateral surface) creates such an immune problem. There will be copious amounts of antigen that the innate (non-specific) immune system is exposed too. In this case patrolling leukocytes of the monocyte lineage. Which release cytokines which stimulates more leukocytes, which releases more cytokines and all that positive-feedback goodness.

I suspect, in the case of the 1918 flu, if the virus were actually more infectious (well with any influenza strain that causes a CS actually) there would be less of a disposition to a cytokine storm--Because the virus would spend less time exposed to the immune system which limits the involvement of non-specific immune response--basically a run of the mill viral infection then.

That is of course only a hunch, albeit one based upon years of study of the immune system :tongue2: And for some strange reason I don't think such experimental testing would appeal to anyone's sense of ethics, lol.

Evo said:
Also interesting that it's chicken eggs, not the virus that is a potential problem.

Another quirk of that evil "E" word--Eviloution :). Spend millions of years teaching an immune system how to deal with bacterial and viral pathogens, only to stick a little chicken derived albumin under the skin one time and suddenly the immune system goes into panic mode! Lol.

What is the purpose of the flu vaccine?

The flu vaccine is designed to protect individuals from contracting the influenza virus and developing the flu.

Who should get the flu vaccine?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that everyone 6 months and older should get the flu vaccine, with rare exceptions. This includes pregnant women, older adults, and individuals with certain health conditions.

How effective is the flu vaccine?

The effectiveness of the flu vaccine can vary each year, but generally ranges from 40-60%. The vaccine is designed to protect against the most common strains of the flu virus, but it is possible to still get the flu even after being vaccinated. However, the vaccine can also help to lessen the severity of symptoms if an individual does get the flu.

Can the flu vaccine give you the flu?

No, the flu vaccine is made from an inactivated virus or a single protein from the virus, so it cannot cause the flu. Some individuals may experience mild side effects such as soreness at the injection site or a low-grade fever, but these are not symptoms of the flu.

How often should you get the flu vaccine?

The flu vaccine is recommended to be received every year, as the strains of the flu virus can change and the vaccine is updated annually to provide the best protection. It is important to get vaccinated before the start of flu season, which typically begins in October.