Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Fusion

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    I am a new members in this forum
    I have one question
    - Why do not melts plastic Pots If it filled with water?
    thank you.o:)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please restate your question. Maybe you could describe the situation you are asking about.
  4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    OK .
    when I fill flask by water and if I put it on the fire the flask not melts and this flask is made from plastic
    I do this experiment
    sorry my english language is bad
  5. Apr 25, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can boil water on an open fire in a paper cup because the walls of the container in contact with the water cannot be hotter then the water. The water will be at most 100C, this is below the temperature which paper burns.

edit: plastic melts at temps greater then water boils so it works the same.

btw this has NOTHING to do with fusion.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  6. Apr 25, 2007 #5
    It is not the latent heat of fusion that prevents the plastic from melting, its just that the water absorbs this heat, as Integral said.
  7. May 15, 2007 #6
    simple.The water absorbs the heat and so the plastic doesnot reach its ignition temperature.So it doesnot melt.Once the water gets emptied the plastic starts burnin/melting
  8. May 15, 2007 #7

Gold Member

Just one clarification here, since the OP might not be aware. The melting temperature of (most) plastics is far below the ignition temperature. I've damaged plastic bowls just by throwing in some bacon straight from the frying pan. There was no fire hazard whatsoever, but the grease melted right through.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?