Why Won't Plastic Pots Melt When Filled with Water?

• Thread starter szubaidi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion
In summary, the conversation discusses why plastic pots do not melt when filled with water and placed on a fire. The explanation is that water absorbs heat, preventing the plastic from reaching its ignition temperature and melting. This is not related to the process of fusion. However, it is noted that the melting temperature of most plastics is lower than their ignition temperature, which can lead to damage when exposed to high heat.
szubaidi
hello
I am a new members in this forum
I have one question
- Why do not melts plastic Pots If it filled with water?
thank you.o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please restate your question. Maybe you could describe the situation you are asking about.

OK .
when I fill flask by water and if I put it on the fire the flask not melts and this flask is made from plastic
I do this experiment
sorry my english language is bad

You can boil water on an open fire in a paper cup because the walls of the container in contact with the water cannot be hotter then the water. The water will be at most 100C, this is below the temperature which paper burns.

edit: plastic melts at temps greater then water boils so it works the same.

btw this has NOTHING to do with fusion.

Last edited:
It is not the latent heat of fusion that prevents the plastic from melting, its just that the water absorbs this heat, as Integral said.

szubaidi said:
OK .
when I fill flask by water and if I put it on the fire the flask not melts and this flask is made from plastic
I do this experiment
sorry my english language is bad
Hii
simple.The water absorbs the heat and so the plastic doesnot reach its ignition temperature.So it doesnot melt.Once the water gets emptied the plastic starts burnin/melting

Milind_shyani said:
The water absorbs the heat and so the plastic doesnot reach its ignition temperature.So it doesnot melt.

Just one clarification here, since the OP might not be aware. The melting temperature of (most) plastics is far below the ignition temperature. I've damaged plastic bowls just by throwing in some bacon straight from the frying pan. There was no fire hazard whatsoever, but the grease melted right through.

1. Why won't plastic pots melt when filled with water?

Plastic pots are specifically designed to withstand high temperatures and resist melting. This is achieved through the use of heat-resistant materials and additives, such as thermoplastics and fillers, that increase their melting point. Additionally, the shape and thickness of plastic pots also contribute to their ability to hold water without melting.

2. Can any type of plastic pot hold water without melting?

No, not all plastic pots are designed to withstand high temperatures and hold water. It is important to choose pots that are specifically labeled as heat-resistant and suitable for holding water. Using the wrong type of plastic pot can result in melting or deformation when filled with hot water.

3. How do plastic pots resist melting when filled with hot water?

Plastic pots are made from materials that have a high melting point, typically between 130-150 degrees Celsius. This allows them to withstand the heat of hot water without melting. In addition, some plastic pots are reinforced with fillers or additives that further increase their resistance to high temperatures.

4. Are there any factors that can cause plastic pots to melt when filled with water?

Yes, there are some factors that can cause plastic pots to melt when filled with water. These include using the wrong type of plastic pot, exposing the pot to high temperatures for extended periods of time, and using water that is too hot. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use plastic pots as intended to avoid melting.

5. How long can a plastic pot hold hot water without melting?

The length of time a plastic pot can hold hot water without melting will depend on various factors such as the type of plastic, thickness of the pot, and the temperature of the water. In general, plastic pots are designed to withstand hot water for a short period of time, such as when brewing tea or coffee. It is not recommended to leave hot water in a plastic pot for an extended period of time as this can increase the risk of melting or deformation.