Is the Gravitational Force Between Two People Cancelled Out?

In summary, the physics teacher gave an example of gravitational attraction between two people, but then incorrectly stated that the forces between them cancel each other out, preventing them from moving. In reality, other forces such as friction and air resistance play a role in keeping the people in place. The individual masses still accelerate towards each other due to the law of universal gravitation.
achoo
Ok so my physics teacher was telling us about the gravitation and he gave us an example of two people standing and he said that these two people are attracting each other. Then he calculated the gravitation force between them. It was a clear thing for me until this.
but then he said that they both don't move from their places because they are pulling each other with an equal force and these both forces cancel the effect of each other. I am saying that they don't cancel out as they are attracting each other. But this force between them is so small that they are overcome by other forces like force of friction,air resistance etc. That's why they don't move from their places. because the same thing happens when we jump from a building and we are attracted towards the centre of the earth.
Can anybody tell me who is right and who is wrong?
And if i am right, do give some examples also.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
achoo said:
but then he said that they both don't move from their places because they are pulling each other with an equal force and these both forces cancel the effect of each other.
You were right and he was wrong. Very wrong. (Actually, a bit hard to believe he really said that.)

When things exert forces on each other (per Newton's 3rd law) those force act on different bodies and never directly 'cancel' each other. The acceleration of an object is determined by all the force on the object and Newton's 2nd law. Were the two people in space, where no other forces (such as friction) acted, then they would accelerate towards each other.

achoo said:
Ok so my physics teacher was telling us about the gravitation and he gave us an example of two people standing and he said that these two people are attracting each other. Then he calculated the gravitation force between them. It was a clear thing for me until this.
but then he said that they both don't move from their places because they are pulling each other with an equal force and these both forces cancel the effect of each other. I am saying that they don't cancel out as they are attracting each other. But this force between them is so small that they are overcome by other forces like force of friction,air resistance etc. That's why they don't move from their places. because the same thing happens when we jump from a building and we are attracted towards the centre of the earth.
Thanks!

You are smarter and more sensible than your teacher, it seems.

Zz.

were the 2 people touching each other?

Honestly it does sound like something a teacher would say. I've had techers spew some crazily wrong information.

achoo, welcome to Physics Forums!
Yes, you are right, those two folks do not move towards one another because the gravitational attraction between them is so tiny.

Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every point mass in the universe attracts every other point mass with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Just memorize this and "stick to your guns" by relying on the Laws. And Good Luck to you!

The equal & opposite forces just means that the combined center of mass of the two masses doesn't accelerate. The individual masses will of course accelerate towards each other.

achoo said:
Thanks!

Welcome! :smile:
Perhaps he forgot to tell, but more likely you did not recall, that people who are standing are withheld from accelerating towards each other by the ground on which they stand. That force (indeed from friction) is equal to the force with which the person is attracted, so that that person keeps standing at the same place. Those forces "cancel" out in the sense that the person does not accelerate. Perhaps it's better to say that they compensate each other.

Note that air resistance only can slow down the motion, it cannot stop it - as your example also illustrates!

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is a natural phenomenon by which all physical bodies with mass are attracted to each other. It is the force that governs the motion of objects in the universe.

2. Who discovered the theory of gravitation?

The theory of gravitation was first discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He proposed the law of universal gravitation, which states that any two objects in the universe are attracted to each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between gravity and gravitation?

Gravity and gravitation are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. Gravity is the force of attraction between objects with mass, while gravitation is the theory or explanation for why this force exists.

4. How does the force of gravitation affect our daily lives?

The force of gravitation plays a significant role in our daily lives. It keeps us grounded on Earth, allows objects to fall toward the ground, and keeps the planets orbiting around the sun. Without it, the universe would not function as we know it.

5. Is gravity the same everywhere in the universe?

No, the force of gravity varies depending on the mass and distance of objects. For example, the force of gravity on the moon is much weaker than on Earth because the moon has less mass. Additionally, gravity is affected by other factors such as the rotation and shape of planets and the presence of other large objects nearby.